Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roseanne fired but Sarah Jeong hired?

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Why not? Invaders who have thrived due to land theft and slavery shouldn't be vilified? Why? Got more to qualify that than a two letter word? No? Shocking.

Trump is not a disease, he is a symptom of a disease.
    Yeah a diseased democratic party that is embracing this identity polictics racist bull****!
    If they get their act together, they can win back the white house, they won't though, they will double down on this madness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why not? Invaders who have thrived due to land theft and slavery shouldn't be vilified? Why?
    So in your twisted view just because someone is white, even if they're a tramp on the street they should be vilified because of the out of their hands lottery of their birth and their lack of melanin?

Oh the blood of their ancestors is upon them eh? That moronic medieval nonsense? Pity that the vast majority whose ancestors arrived on that continent were dirt poor peasants, many of whom became indentured servants, or meat machines for big industry. But, sure... yeah, Whitey was all slave owners and robber barons. Some of the biggest slavers in the modern era were(and are) of Arab origin. The Arab slave trade went on for longer and over a wider area than the European slave trade did. Who do you think the Europeans were buying slaves from? Never mind local African slavers. Or do they all get a free pass, because of their tan?

I hate to break it to you - though I doubt I'll make even a dent in your repugnant and retarded worldview - but happily vilifying one group because of the colour of their skin or ancestry and elevating another for the same reasons is the very definition of racism. And what does that make you? Join the dots if you can.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    So in your twisted view just because someone is white, even if they're a tramp on the street they should be vilified because of the out of their hands lottery of their birth and their lack of melanin?

Oh the blood of their ancestors is upon them eh? That moronic medieval nonsense? Pity that the vast majority whose ancestors arrived on that continent were dirt poor peasants, many of whom became indentured servants, or meat machines for big industry. But, sure... yeah, Whitey was all slave owners and robber barons. Some of the biggest slavers in the modern era were(and are) of Arab origin. The Arab slave trade went on for longer and over a wider area than the European slave trade did. Who do you think the Europeans were buying slaves from? Never mind local African slavers. Or do they all get a free pass, because of their tan?

I hate to break it to you - though I doubt I'll make even a dent in your repugnant and retarded worldview - but happily vilifying one group because of the colour of their skin or ancestry and elevating another for the same reasons is the very definition of racism. And what does that make you? Join the dots if you can.

Brilliant Wibbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was told on FB the other day that I'd "put out some wrong opinions". When I asked the person - who I'd have considered a friend - what made an opinion "wrong" I got "some were anti women" (I distrust Vicky Phelan intensely); "disagreeing that the UK Government are trying to kill poor people" (of course they're not!) and "Jeremy Corybn is God" (no, he's a Trotskyite chancer who would bankrupt the UK in a week - plus I've a Jewish nan, he's an anti-semitic bollix).

Point is - there seems to be a set of "criteria" that the left have allowed for discussion - go beyond their parameters and you are called racist and worse.

Whilst I totally agree with your views on Corbyn, I take major issue with your appraisal of Vicky Phelan.
    Lets just say I am fairly familiar with her case and some of the other high profile ones, and it is understandable how she wants answers and even heads of those who are either responsible for the system that gave misdiagnosis or for the behaviour afterwards.
    Whites are the invaders on that continent, long overdue that they're vilified, no? Love your fairly accurate prediction by the way.

The blatant extremist views being touted here, with mods just swanning around it and doing nothing, is very telling.

And where the fook do your views fall ?

This is the exact thing I mentioned in another thread discussing white pride mullarkey.

White pride has huge negative historic connotations, but as I pointed out some people, deluded white people included, believe that white people today should be ashamed and should apologise for past behaviour by previous generations and even worse for white people who bear no direct link to them at all.

For instance it is lunacy like yours that would vilify an Irish or other white 1980s immigrant to the USA and hold them responsible for what some white Americans did in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries ?
    Why not? Invaders who have thrived due to land theft and slavery shouldn't be vilified? Why? Got more to qualify that than a two letter word? No? Shocking.

Trump is not a disease, he is a symptom of a disease.

Vilify the people from the past who slaughtered the Indians, who bought and sold slaves, who got rich through that behaviour.
    Fair enough point out to people whose families became rich through such behaviour, but it is cr** like yours that would vilify anyone white just for being white.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So an innocent kid deserves all the hate and abuse just because of the colour of his skin ? - unlucky to be born white in the USA today ?

I see by your username that you support terrorism and anti semitic hatred, so no surprise really.

Nice way to murder any opinion you may have, again, fighting an invasion is not terrorism, nor is being pro-Palestinian anti-Semitic. I know of 30+ jewish groups that exist to oppose Israel's invasion. Thanks for displaying your ignorance up front though, it makes you much easier to ignore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Nice way to murder any opinion you may have, again, fighting an invasion is not terrorism, nor is being pro-Palestinian anti-Semitic. I know of 30+ jewish groups that exist to oppose Israel's invasion. Thanks for displaying your ignorance up front though, it makes you much easier to ignore :)

What invasion are you talking about? When Columbus landed?

Yeah a diseased democratic party that is embracing this identity polictics racist bull****!
    If they get their act together, they can win back the white house, they won't though, they will double down on this madness.

Erm no, a symptom of institutionaliZed racism. He ran on the idea he'd put up a wall and racist institutions (even the police) have been very emboldened by his presidency. But thanks for playing. Shouldn't show your card so early.

And those jewish groups are free to operate in the democracy of Israel, what about Palestinians that don't actually agree with hamas ? you think they can go public about it ??? can they ****!!! - They would be murdered.

Rory28 wrote: »
    What invasion are you talking about? When Columbus landed?

The Israeli invasion of Palestine. That other poster referred to my username thinking it would discredit me, a keffiyeh is a scarf/head covering commonly associated with resistance to the invasion, hell you can frequently buy them in O'Connell street when Irish lads are out protesting :) Just to clear it up :)

But yes I'd also consider Columbus a piece of **** too.

keffiyeh wrote:

I don't think people should be judged on the sins of their ancestors and especially because of the colour of their skin. That makes me bad?
    keffiyeh wrote:
    But yes I'd also consider Columbus a piece of **** too.

I'd consider pol pot a bit of a **** but don't judge all Cambodians on his actions. The Vikings were right pieces of work. I think we should hate all of Scandinavia.

• Advertisement

I'd consider pol pot a bit of a **** but don't judge all Cambodians on his actions. The Vikings were right pieces of work. I think we should hate all of Scandinavia.

Pol Pot is still around and pulling his old tricks? The vikings? Is Christchurch some viking stronghold I don't know about? These things are over. The American issue is not. White Americans still reap from the land that was invaded for them to this day. Not that white people are impervious to poverty or other unfortunate situations of course.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/300528/us-millionaires-race-ethnicity/

And those jewish groups are free to operate in the democracy of Israel

Ah yes, the democracy that murders medical staff in their uniforms and imprisons poets. Very democratic.

And those groups are in no way 'free' to do anything, the past two months in particular have seen lots of people stopped and turned away at the border. Hell, people on freedom boats have been illegally boarded and arrested recently. Nothing free about you if you criticize the Israeli invasion.

you think they can go public about it ??? can they ****!!! - They would be murdered.

Do you know what baseless conjecture means?

Ah yes, the democracy that murders medical staff in their uniforms and imprisons poets. Very democratic.

And those groups are in no way 'free' to do anything, the past two months in particular have seen lots of people stopped and turned away at the border. Hell, people on freedom boats have been illegally boarded and arrested recently. Nothing free about you if you criticize the Israeli invasion.

Do you know what baseless conjecture means?

Stop lying.

Pol Pot is still around and pulling his old tricks? The vikings? Is Christchurch some viking stronghold I don't know about? These things are over. The American issue is not. White Americans still reap from the land that was invaded for them to this day. Not that white people are impervious to poverty or other unfortunate situations of course.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/300528/us-millionaires-race-ethnicity/

Absolute bull****.

So white americans should apologise and stop being successful. I assume you are in favour of reparations?

Stop lying.

UMMMMM....

Google Dareen Tatour.

Google Razan Najar.

Google is your friend.

Absolute bull****.

So white americans should apologise and stop being successful. I assume you are in favour of reparations?

'Successful'. Elon Musk is successful too... having said that he comes from a family that got rich ripping out and stealing emeralds and ore out of the African earth... do you see the issue here? Their success has been propped up by what came before, and those that suffered then have descendants that are still suffering from it.

Absolutely in favour of reparations, of course I am. Depending on what they are of course. I don't think some cash for every person from that demo would do much good, but universities and other infrastructure built in places affected by the kidnap of their locals, like in Sierra Leone for example? Sure. Of course. I would give anyone who wasn't some serious side-eye.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some of the biggest slavers in the modern era were(and are) of Arab origin. The Arab slave trade went on for longer and over a wider area than the European slave trade did. Who do you think the Europeans were buying slaves from? Never mind local African slavers. Or do they all get a free pass, because of their tan?

I love asking people "Do you think white people just sailed down the coast of Africa hopped off and rounded up the slaves?" because generally it's either a strong "Yes!" or a confused look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Successful'. Elon Musk is successful too... having said that he comes from a family that got rich ripping out and stealing emeralds and ore out of the African earth... do you see the issue here? Their success has been propped up by what came before, and those that suffered then have descendants that are still suffering from it.

Absolutely in favour of reparations, of course I am. Depending on what they are of course. I don't think some cash for every person from that demo would do much good, but universities and other infrastructure built in places affected by the kidnap of their locals, like in Sierra Leone for example? Sure. Of course. I would give anyone who wasn't some serious side-eye.

Not every successful high achieving person inherited their wealth.

Green is the colour that matters in US business

Not every successful high achieving person inherited their wealth.

Why say really obvious things and think they prove me wrong?

Having said that, this thread has gone way off course.

Roseanne is an asshole, Jeong is also an asshole, and the thread was created in bad faith to argue Roseanne should be let off the hook, and boards.ie is populated by Irish people pretending to care about this issue because they're just as racist as her. The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Roseanne is an asshole, Jeong is also an asshole, and the thread was created in bad faith to argue Roseanne should be let off the hook, and boards.ie is populated by Irish people pretending to care about this issue because they're just as racist as her. The End.

Good christ. Whats it like up there on your high horse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It clearly wasn't. It was created because of a massive double standard. A racist is a racist, regardless of whether they're white or asian.

givyjoe wrote:
    It clearly wasn't. It was created because of a massive double standard. A racist is a racist, regardless of whether they're white or asian.

No.... it's about time white people got taken down a peg.... something something....sins of their fathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

As racist as Jeong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Has this woman not been fired yet? Unbelievable hypocrisy.

givyjoe wrote: »

Nah. I've read the OP and the thread. I stand by what I said. What is being argued here is entirely in bad faith. Loads of people trying to excuse a person Irish people should really have almost no interest in because she 'didn't know' the person she called a monkey was black (which is more bad faith bull btw).
    As racist as Jeong?

1. https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whataboutism-origin-meaning

2. Yes, both are almost exactly the same. Lame and lazy attempts at being an edgelord.

... So I guess TomSweeney is not coming back? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Brian? wrote: »
    Doesn’t that mean her identity was verified ?

No it means Twitter endorses her racist views. Back in November 2017 Twitter explicitly began using the removal of verification as a punishment for accounts which broke its rules & community guidelines. For example Milo Yiannopoulos had his verification removed, even though there was no doubt as to his identity. By giving Jeong verification now, Twitter is endorsing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Nah. I've read the OP and the thread. I stand by what I said. What is being argued here is entirely in bad faith. Loads of people trying to excuse a person Irish people should really have almost no interest in because she 'didn't know' the person she called a monkey was black (which is more bad faith bull btw).

2. Yes, both are almost exactly the same. Lame and lazy attempts at being an edgelord.

Why are you linking to 'whataboutism' in the dictionary? Have you read the title of the thread?

Edgelord indeed :rolleyes:

Who is excusing Roseanne? I haven't read every post, but I've seen most and I havent seen one, never mind loads defending her. Almost the entire thread is about the clown from the NYT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

To be fair, would this thread exist if Roseanne hadn't been fired?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

vetinari wrote: »

Likely

If it hasn't already been posted this was linked in the Gentlemans club forum:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1025437806775226368.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

vetinari wrote: »

Given the current toxic cultural and political climate? Yes.

Who is excusing Roseanne? I haven't read every post, but I've seen most and I havent seen one, never mind loads defending her. Almost the entire thread is about the clown from the NYT.

Lots of people. Read the thread. Lots of people defending her because 'she didn't know the person she called a monkey ways black'.

And I linked to the definition of whataboutism because this whole thread is a whataboutism, absolutely correct, other poster who's name I can't be bothered remembering.

Lots of people. Read the thread. Lots of people defending her because 'she didn't know the person she called a monkey ways black'.

And I linked to the definition of whataboutism because this whole thread is a whataboutism, absolutely correct, other poster who's name I can't be bothered remembering.
    Lots of people, how many out of 800 posts? How to do you call out double standards without it being twisted into whataboutery? That's the whole point, highlighting one rule for some and one for others.

On the point you raised, pretty sure Jeong knows the white folks she's slating are white. What's her defense?

Simple questions, do you think Roseanne's show was correctly cancelled owing to her racist tweets
    Do you believe Jeong should be fired because of her racist tweets?

If you dont answer yes to both, I think we'd all be very curious to read why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lots of people defending her because 'she didn't know the person she called a monkey ways black'.

I doubt many rational people believe that Roseanne didn't know that the person she was calling a monkey was black.....although technically she didn't call her a monkey. Still very wrong what she said though.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

the thread was created in bad faith to argue Roseanne should be let off the hook

I created this thread. I posted this to show the hypocrisy of main stream media and the atrocious state that’s it’s in. Please refrain from posting false statements.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I doubt many rational people

Welcome to boards.ie.

splashuum wrote: »
    I created this thread. I posted this to show the hypocrisy of main stream media and the atrocious state that’s it’s in. Please refrain from posting false statements.

So a bad faith argument. There's much bigger issues in the ol' MSM. You have an agenda. This is evident by how it's not even the media in your country you are all triggered about.

So a bad faith argument. There's much bigger issues in the ol' MSM. You have an agenda. This is evident by how it's not even the media in your country you are all triggered about.

Wtf is your story, seriously?!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wtf is your story, seriously?!:eek:

It's just a case of

obvious-troll-is-obvious--i129158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Wow this guy is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You do have to worry about what will happen when White people become a minority in the U.S. Blatant racism against white people has become acceptable within the establishment and is being ramped up. This has been occurring quite strongly over the last 4-5 years (and longer). What will it be like in 10-20-30 years?

We're Talking about in the 2040s when it happens. Hatred is getting ramped up. Black Pride is returning the levels of the days of the Black Panthers. Children are being indoctrinated with the mindset of getting retribution on whitey.

Sadly yes-and note they are very quick to pull the 'you're white, but I don't mean 'you as a white man''. Yeah, it's BS.

There was a very sad case that's being used for political purposes in America-and in my discussing it, I may very well politicise it for my own needs.

Anyways, Mollie Tibbetts was studying Psychology, when she was murdered by an illegal immigrant.
    One of her last tweets was 'I hate White people'...even though she was a white person. Her killer wasn't white.

The circumstances surrounding her murder are horrible-for sure. But folks are ignoring something-evil is evil, it doesn't rely on skin colour or gender. We saw what a woman who had 'power' over a boy did. Evil is colourless and genderless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There was a very sad case that's being used for political purposes in America-and in my discussing it, I may very well politicise it for my own needs.

Anyways, Mollie Tibbetts was studying Psychology, when she was murdered by an illegal immigrant.
    One of her last tweets was 'I hate White people'...even though she was a white person. Her killer wasn't white.

Jesus... It wasn't one of her last tweets and at least put it into context. She was talking about the high percentage of white voters in Alabama who were willing to vote for Roy Moore, a man accused of sexually assaulting minors, over a Democrat. Poor choice of words from a young student but to use it as an example of major irony on the part of liberal America is distasteful in the extreme.

Advertisement