Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roseanne fired but Sarah Jeong hired?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's good to see at least that we all agree hate speech laws are bull****. Because if you believe in hate speech law she would have broken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Malayalam wrote: »
    It is true that the alt-right is jumping all over this with glee - a chance to get the boot in to the alt left. That's unpleasant. I also see reflexive hard-left position taking - that's also unpleasant. The unfortunate problem is that centrist or non-aligned observers - regular people, if you will, people who swing to neither extreme, but decide case by case - who read the tweets and may personally decide there is something of a problem are being immediately tarred as right wing or conservatives or Trump fans or such. If people are constantly abused they will eventually stay quiet - they will either become more extreme in their opinions as a result of hurt or they will become completely indifferent. Both are bad. The juvenile level ordinary civil discourse has descended to as a result of rampant identity politics is quite worrying. People should be allowed to make simple self-evident observations without being accused of engrained ideological taint.

Compared to the feminazi, cuck, social justice warriors?

See I can throw out terms that describe your style of posting as well.

And we also agree twitter bans for trolling are never acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Compared to the feminazi, cuck, social justice warriors?

See I can throw out terms that describe your style of posting as well.

Hahah :D Well, Keepaneye, that's the first time I've ever in my life been called a feminazi...it's a kind of special moment for me. *wipes tear

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I've got some advice. Stay off twitter, avoid the celeb world, it makes no difference to your lives. Getting worked up over stuff like this is pretty pathetic.
    You're just going out of your way to become offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

To put it simply, if she were a white male...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Hating white people is regarded as being cool these days she ticks all the right boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Reminds me of the brand of feminists we have today who fully believe that women simply CANNOT be sexist towards a man. It doesn't happen. They will even use a term like "reverse sexism" which makes absolutely no sense at all.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Hahah :D Well, Keepaneye, that's the first time I've ever in my life been called a feminazi...it's a kind of special moment for me. *wipes tear

I was merely pointing out the usual hypocrisy spouted by people like you when they have very little to say despite their long lengthy posting style. You were only too happy to call me "alt-right".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m actually disgusted by this accusation or hypocrisy and how many people thanked it.

Find me one example of a post where I call someone out for a tweet or a sequence of tweets. If I was constantly jumping all over right wing twitterers I’d be a hypocrite. Find me one example of actually hypocrisy or apologise.

These have been some of your replies:

"I’d like to hear more. That’s all I’m saying. The video is clearly edited to make her look bad. If she is what you say she is, a racist man hater, why the poorly edited video? It strips the statement of any context or nuance"

"They are a poor attempt at humour"

"I thought it was a reference to outraged white people. I could be entirely wrong though"

You seem to be going to great lengths to excuse her of blatant racism, but if the shoe was on the other foot I think it's extremely unlikely that you would be coming to their defence, stressing the importance of context etc. Have you read all her racist tweets?

• Advertisement

"I’d like to hear more. That’s all I’m saying. The video is clearly edited to make her look bad. If she is what you say she is, a racist man hater, why the poorly edited video? It strips the statement of any context or nuance"

"I thought it was a reference to outraged white people. I could be entirely wrong though"

You seem to be going to great lengths to excuse her of blatant racism, but if the shoe was on the other foot I think it's extremely unlikely that you would be coming to their defence, stressing the importance of context etc. Have you read all her racist tweets?

Just imagine if Jordan Peterson said it, poor auld Brian would have a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

20Cent wrote: »
    What happened to freedom of speech, it's only a joke etc .....

So please tell us which of the following below you find funny?

I am substituting other groups in place of the ones this so called journalist/commentator used in her original tweet of 28 Nov 2014.
    Just imagine it was a right winger who wrote those tweets, substituting 'black' instead of 'white'. I'm sure you would be pondering the nuance of said tweets. The level of hypocrisy here is off the wall.

I would like to know how come some people can find the first ones very offensive, but the last one seems to be satire or somehow acceptable?
    Dumbass f**king black people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pi**ing on fire hydrants.
    Dumbass f**king asian people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pi**ing on fire hydrants.
    Dumbass f**king yellow people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pi**ing on fire hydrants.
    Dumbass f**king white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pi**ing on fire hydrants.

Maybe it is me being somewhat old fashioned, oh and an old white guy, but I find all of them uncalled for, equally disparaging and yes offensive.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I've got some advice. Stay off twitter, avoid the celeb world, it makes no difference to your lives. Getting worked up over stuff like this is pretty pathetic.
    You're just going out of your way to become offended.

Thanks for your paternalistic, condescending advice.

Why are you here?

Turns out she's not a fan of the police either
    https://twitter.com/majorlagg1/status/1025482182649892865

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Thanks for your paternalistic, condescending advice.

Why are you here?

Honestly? To laugh at the angry men. :D

Mod-Banned

:D That's funny stuff. She's clearly hilarious. They're just jokes, are they not allowed anymore? It's pc gone mad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Pretty long troll, years even. Click the tweet, scroll down and see for yourself.

https://twitter.com/nickmon1112/status/1025437806775226368

What a disgusting vile racist c*nt she is, and the NYT doubling down!
    Disgusting, hope the NYT loses subs over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you should watch 12 angry men, you'll be in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It’s just satire, you know, like Tommy Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Keepaneye wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out the usual hypocrisy spouted by people like you when they have very little to say despite their long lengthy posting style. You were only too happy to call me "alt-right".

I didn't actually call anyone on here alt right - it was an observation I made as a result of googling articles that deal with the story. I saw some of the usual bottom feeders like Paul Joseph Watson et al, and I also saw msm refer to "conservatives" objecting to Jeongs tweets.

Sorry I don't do short or mono-syllabic, you will have to skim read or put me on ignore:)

you should watch 12 angry men, you'll be in stitches

Do they get offended at everything and start crying about the nasty women out to get them? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I’m actually disgusted by this accusation or hypocrisy and how many people thanked it.

Don't be.

On Trump:
    He's a bigot because he's a racist, misogynist and xenophobic.

On Richard Spencer:
    Punching people is wrong. Seeing a neo nazi punched, hilarious.

On Ben Shapiro:
    ....that doesn’t actually matter to me, it’s how he uses his freedom of expression I have an issue with. He fans the flames of hatred. He doesn’t even bother with racist dog whistles.

To me, he’s a hate filled, pig ignorant demagogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Alt right is a totally made up term to make the American right sound worse. It didn't exist before 2016 and guess what... it still doesn't exist.

On free speech... I'm strongly in favour of it. For everyone. Not just for people I agree with.

I watch with interest on here posters who put forward a viewpoint and when questioned it's either attacking the person asking the question or radio silence. For them it's not a viewpoint it's ideological dogma.

Do they get offended at everything and start crying about the nasty women out to get them? :D
    no, it's about a white male american jury who overcome their actually racist 1950s worldview to return a not guilty verdict for a black man accused of murder. it has more righteousness, pathos and humanity than all the world's sjw twitter mob could muster in a hundred lifetimes. it is a work of real consequence, unlike anything the subject of this thread could ever produce.

• Advertisement

Don't be.

On Trump:

On Richard Spencer:

On Ben Shapiro:

Ben Shapiro hate filled racist? Huh? He's right wing in his views but hate filled racist? Sorry, that's crazy.

no, it's about a white male american jury who overcome their actually racist 1950s worldview to return a not guilty verdict for a black man accused of murder. it has more righteousness, pathos and humanity than all the world's sjw twitter mob could muster in a hundred lifetimes. it is a work of real consequence, unlike anything the subject of this thread could ever produce.

Like I earlier advised, try to avoid twitter and this whole celeb nonsense. You'll be much happier then.

The fact the NYT hired a Harvard Law graduate as a technology editor says it all really. The same law graduate who said malware was a form of speech and spam was obstructing elections. FFS. Whatever about her racism she is clearly incompetent to be a technology editor. Maybe they should have hired someone who actually knows something about technology?

professore wrote: »
    Ben Shapiro hate filled racist? Huh? He's right wing in his views but hate filled racist? Sorry, that's crazy.
    yep, I'd challenge anyone to come up with a scrap of evidence that Shapiro is a racist.

I hear they are remaking it with an all female cast and the defendant is a young white man and they find him guilty after 5 minutes deliberation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Alt right is a totally made up term to make the American right sound worse. It didn't exist before 2016 and guess what... it still doesn't exist.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/ideology/alt-right

Sounds like your wrong.

Hopefully they're just internet weirdos on that page.

These are far right. And this is the SPLC, who classified people like Maajid Nawaz as an "anti-Muslim extremist" when in fact he is a Muslim himself fighting extremism of all sorts... https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/18/southern-poverty-law-center-settlement-maajid-nawa/

Taking the most extreme views of the far right and applying them to anyone on the right is a very dishonest tactic. That's why alt-right was invented. Same technique the Nazis used with the Jews. Find an extreme example of a money grabbing dishonest jew and equate all Jews with them.

These are far right. And this is the SPLC, who classified people like Maajid Nawaz as an "anti-Muslim extremist" when in fact he is a Muslim himself fighting extremism of all sorts... https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/18/southern-poverty-law-center-settlement-maajid-nawa/

You made a claim that the term alt right..was created out of thin air in 2016. Research proves you wrong.

Taking the most extreme views of the far right and applying them to anyone on the right is a very dishonest tactic. That's why alt-right was invented. Same technique the Nazis used with the Jews. Find an extreme example of a money grabbing dishonest jew and equate all Jews with them.

Your post has now jumped the shark. The term wasn't coined by the the centre or the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I see some people are attempting to diminish this as just Twitter, with no real importance. The reality is there is a pervasive anti-white racism that is increasingly brazen in the US. Its important because its seeping out of colleges and into political groups where racebaiting is now core to the Democratic agenda. Just this weekend, at the 'Netroot Nation' event, speakers told the crowd
    “I see some of you are uncomfortable. Your white fragility is showing. Your white tears are showing – I’m ready to drink them,” one activist told the crowd.
    But we’ve got way too many of them [white people] in the House and the Senate.

This followed on another senior Democrat, Symone Sanders indicating that the most important qualification for the Democrat leadership is that they not be white.
    "In my opinion, we don't need white people leading the Democratic Party right now," she told CNN's Brianna Keilar Wednesday on "Wolf."

Sarah Jeong's comments, and the NYT's endorsement of them come in that context of open, anti-white racism being normalised so that its a qualification in the Democratic party. This does affect us, even here outside the US. The US is the cultural centre of the world. As racism becomes normalised, it seeps into the rest of the world. That is not good for Europeans. Equally, the Democrats will send politicians which emerge from this cauldron of racism to take office in the Senate, Congress and even the White House. Is it in Ireland or Europe's interests to have the US influenced by a group openly hostile to and dismissive of white people?

White Americans see it too. Polls show White millennials are fleeing the Democratic party which is openly hostile to them. It is not just Twitter.

Your post has now jumped the shark. The term wasn't coined by the the centre or the left.

I wasn't aware of that. So they are just another term for good old fashioned far right. Why is pretty much everyone right of Fidel Castro called alt right then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m excusing nothing.

Have you any proof I’m a hypocrite? If not, I want an apology.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Here she is "trolling" at Harvard. What a disgusting specimen she is with no self awareness or gratitude for all the "white men" who died in the Korean war fighting for her freedom. Indoctrination is real..

I’m excusing nothing.

I think Outlaw Pete has covered that

• Advertisement

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Here she is "trolling" at Harvard. What a disgusting specimen she is with no self awareness or gratitude for all the "white men" who died in the Korean war fighting for her freedom. Indoctrination is real..

look at her culturally appropriating that microphone invented by the white men she hates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

You can always rely on the left to show up their blatant hypocritical double standards of what they believe is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sand wrote: »
    I see some people are attempting to diminish this as just Twitter, with no real importance. The reality is there is a pervasive anti-white racism that is increasingly brazen in the US.

Great post. Our most important institutions are being captured by this ideology. It has spread from education to the police, to the courts, to the media and to large corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

I find that anyone claiming to be laughing is most likely seething with resentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Is the NYT still even a good newspaper?

I go on the site from time to time but rarely find anything great.

Didn't it have some very dodgy reporting supporting the invasion of Iraq, with Ahmed Chalabi as the main source?

It's halcyon days of Sheahan and Halberstam revealing the truth about Vietnam seem to be well and truly gone.

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    I find that anyone claiming to be laughing is most likely seething with resentment.

Nobody else is capable of calm discussion :P writing a post that isn't multi-dimensional satire means you need to kick back and enjoy the view of the pale blue dot.

I wasn't aware of that. So they are just another term for good old fashioned far right. Why is pretty much everyone right of Fidel Castro called alt right then?

Absolutely love the victimhood narrative. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Someone's feeling especially precious today.

What are you talking about???? What victimhood narrative? I don't speak SJW sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

What’s your opinion Winny? Do you think it’s double standards? Is she a racist? Should she be fired/not hired considering precedence?

Advertisement