Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roseanne fired but Sarah Jeong hired?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Maybe think before you post absolutely hypocritical statements in future and then whine about it when multiple people pull you for it

What hypocritical statement? All I said was I was reserving judgement until I read more. Her contention that she was attempting satire was reasonable to me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I did apologise.

I missed that.

I accept your apology.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Anyway, really bad “optics” as the yanks say for the antifa movement. Utterly dumb.

If you were to infiltrate them you couldn’t do more harm. Maybe they have been infiltrated.

Ye, politics aside it just makes them look like idiots. Do they think they are going to gain support with this sort of stuff?

Brian, I apologise for calling you a hypocrite. It was unnecessarily personal.

I’m sorry I missed this post. I commend you for your apology, thanks.
    The point I was trying to make is that certain posters here throw out the accusation of racism/bigotry at will (I myself have been called racist for calling for tighter immigration controls), but then we when we have a clear example of racism from someone who is on the liberal wing people are trying to make excuses. Even anchapailldorcha, hardly a white supremacist, has said it's blatant racism.

That’s fair enough. I’m not saying she isn’t racist. I am saying that he statement that her tweets were satire are believable to me. Especially seeing as she uses the language of the alt right.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Brian? wrote: »
    What hypocritical statement? All I said was I was reserving judgement until I read more. Her contention that she was attempting satire was reasonable to me.

Reasonable?! Why do you think it's reasonable to post literally hundreds of racist (and often sexist) tweets over a period of years. Common sense and logic would suggest that is anything but reasonable. More like unhinged if anything to be so feverishly 'replying' to internet trolls.

The thing is, her posts never seem to be replying to anyone in particular, they just seem to be spurious rants againstwhite people, not even white supremecists, just white people in general. I don't really care but is a little jarring to see such blatant double standards in the same high profile company.

While we're on the topic of reasonable, or rather unreasonable, sticking your fingers in your ears in the face of blatant racism, simply because it's posted on twitter is absolute nonsense. It's as reasonable as me saying I don't take anything on CNN seriously because fake news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Brian I could sell you a bag of air if you believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You think its reasonable that someone posting such garbage for 6 years is just attempting satire!

Does that apply to the likes of Tommy Robinson or Katie Hopkins or any other the other people who hold views the left disagree with? Pull the other one would ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

RasTa wrote: »

Hunter? He would have shot trump himself already.

He'd have probably shot himself again more likely.

That wasnt my point though, Hunter was a journalist who spent much of his career attacking the lazy idiotic press in the US.

He'd have been disgusted with the media in America today.

Venom wrote: »
    You think its reasonable that someone posting such garbage for 6 years is just attempting satire!

Does that apply to the likes of Tommy Robinson or Katie Hopkins or any other the other people who hold views the left disagree with? Pull the other one would ya.

I’m replying to multiple people here.

If you’re going to be satirical, then you keep it up. It’s not as if the Onion stopped one day and reported the actual news.

I think it’s believable that the tweets were satire. Does anyone have some articles or talks
    That show they weren’t satire?

They definitely weren’t funny, even if they were meant as satire.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Ye, politics aside it just makes them look like idiots. Do they think they are going to gain support with this sort of stuff?

I think their so far down the rabbit hole they honestly believe everyone is already on their side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If you’re going to be satirical, then you keep it up. It’s not as if the Onion stopped one day and reported the actual news.

I think it’s believable that the tweets were satire. Does anyone have some articles or talks

Wouldn't it be unusual for any satirist to focus solely on one topic/group of people? Its stretching the bounds of credibility to suggest that's what she was doing. Is there any evidence ANYWHERE, that she stated this was satire BEFORE she ended up in bother over the tweets?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be unusual for any satirist to focus solely on one topic/group of people? Its stretching the bounds of credibility to suggest that's what she was doing. Is there any evidence ANYWHERE, that she stated this was satire BEFORE she ended up in bother over the tweets?

Satire for a few tweets - believable.

"Satire" for months on end over a few years?

Is there any evidence it wasn't satire?

I asked earlier. She's a journalist. Surely there should be plenty of anti white bigotry outside Twitter if she's a racist.

they/them/theirs

I asked earlier. She's a journalist. Surely there should be plenty of anti white bigotry outside Twitter if she's a racist.

If?!

• Advertisement

Both did a lot more than tweet.

they/them/theirs

If?!

You’re happy to condemn her based on her Twitter feed. I am not.

I am not saying she isn’t racist.

they/them/theirs

I don’t know.

Her explanation is that She was attacked by people on Twitter and reacted by throwing their own language back at them. I find that entirely credible.

That could be my own bias. But I really am trying to be reasonable her. I’m not actually taking a position, I want to know more.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

What conservative. None of Trump, Shapiro or Spencer are conservatives.

Are you for real? You've gone and done the same thing that you did with Jordan Peterson, which shows you up again of having no insight at all to the people you are criticizing. Preach preach preach without knowing anything about the people you are preaching about, that qualifies you for hypocrite status right there.

Why don't you try actually reading the thread? This was previously posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Such deadpan delivery

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Are you for real? You've gone and done the same thing that you did with Jordan Peterson, which shows you up again of having no insight at all to the people you are criticizing. Preach preach preach without knowing anything about the people you are preaching about, that qualifies you for hypocrite status right there.

I admitted I was wrong about Peterson being a conservative, about 2 minutes afte saying it. Why drag that over here? It doesn’t matter to me if he is or isn’t.

I wouldn’t consider Shapiro a conservative. Possibly I’m wrong. He’s only too happy to advocate for government interference in social issues. Which isn’t very conservative to me.

they/them/theirs

Why don't you try actually reading the thread? This was previously posted.

I replied to that earlier. Why don’t you try actually reading the thread?

they/them/theirs

I don’t know.

Her explanation is that She was attacked by people on Twitter and reacted by throwing their own language back at them. I find that entirely credible.

That could be my own bias. But I really am trying to be reasonable her. I’m not actually taking a position, I want to know more.

Then read the post/blog linked earlier in the thread. There are hundreds of tweets of this stuff. It's just isn't credible to suggest that it's simply satire over that long a period.

I was aware of her excuse and I've read the blog of her own posts. It's just not a credible explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Unbelievably, earlier today, as she was eating breakfast, Antifa showed up and chanted 'Fcuk White Supremacy' at her :P

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1026458985967153153

Jesus what an absolute cluster**** of identity politics America has devolved to - I cannot stand this nonsense and hate to see people trying to import it over here; it tears society apart.

I replied to that earlier. Why don’t you try actually reading the thread?

Then why are you asking for examples of her behavior outside of twitter and linking her years of social media racism to possible satire?

Any inkling that her behavior on social media was satire is gone with that video, she believes white men are to blame for the worlds problems.

Then why are you asking for examples of her behavior outside of twitter and linking her years of social media racism to possible satire?

Any inkling that her behavior on social media was satire is gone with that video, she believes white men are to blame for the worlds problems.

A tiny excerpt of a speech with zero context? That’s enough for you? Would it be enough if you hadn’t made your mind up already?

they/them/theirs

Then read the post/blog linked earlier in the thread. There are hundreds of tweets of this stuff. It's just isn't credible to suggest that it's simply satire over that long a period.

I was aware of her excuse and I've read the blog of her own posts. It's just not a credible explanation.

I read the blog. It was a collection of tweets. I don’t know if it was all her tweets of just a few selected racist tweets. Hence my request for something more solid. I can’t find anything.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

Unbelievably, earlier today, as she was eating breakfast, Antifa showed up and chanted 'Fcuk White Supremacy' at her :P

Last time such a large number of white people stopped a black woman from breakfast was the 1950’s.

I love intellectual dishonesty, it helps identify radicalized right much easier. This was just a rando, right? They were having a go because of her skin colour yeah? You know you're full of it when you have to try stuff like this.

Honestly, what a fcuking cop out. Satire my hole.

And her tweets about hating men? The police? Random racist outbursts in conversations on twitter.

Over years?

She even tweeted about hating several of the editors at the New York Times, long before applying for a job with them.

If you believe that lame cop out of an explanation you probably shouldn't involve yourself in serious discussions regarding, well, anything

• Advertisement

A tiny excerpt of a speech with zero context? That’s enough for you? Would it be enough if you hadn’t made your mind up already?

The problem isn't that ample evidence of her racism doesn't exist. It exists in droves over many years. The problem is that you agree with her and you're trying to mask that in ambiguity by hinting at satire and the likes.

I don’t know.

Looking at how much time you have spent downplaying her being a racist on this thread due to not being sure or not wanting to take a position or exhaustion from the mental gymnastics, have you looked into her posting history at all?

Considering how much this story has blown up, the number of people condemning her tweets and the lack of the usual suspects defending her, is there not a tiny part of you thinking maybe I'm in the wrong on this one?

The problem isn't that ample evidence of her racism doesn't exist. It exists in droves over many years. The problem is that you agree with her and you're trying to mask that in ambiguity by hinting at satire and the likes.

If her tweets were literal, I don’t agree with her. If they were satire, who knows what she thinks.

You’re doing the usual, attacking me directly rather than debating the subject at hand. Stop. It’s tiresome.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

keffiyeh wrote: »
    I love intellectual dishonesty, it helps identify radicalized right much easier. This was just a rando, right? They were having a go because of her skin colour yeah? You know you're full of it when you have to try stuff like this.

Whatever you need to say to yourself to justify he harassment and intimidation of women, mate.

gw80 wrote: »
    RasTa wrote: »
    Who feckin cares, doubt anyone in here has ever read the NYT. Same with Roseanne, never watched or had any interest in her show.
    I wouldn't be so quick to shrug off this unhealthy trend that's creeping into American society.
    This ideology is of hatred for "the white man is spreading into college's and university,s across American, and some of these kids are going to be the politicians and policy makers of the future, granted, probably most of the "social studies" students will not come to much other than lifelong activists and college go,ers.
    California for example is a very left wing, green, open border state, and that's no coincidence due to the very strong and large hippy culture of the 60s in California, those hippy and their kids are now all grown up and are in position of government making policys and laws.

And things that happen in America can have consequences for Ireland with our dependency on American multinational companies.

What are ye on about. White boys are doing just fine in college, sure didn't a spate of them get off scott free for rape a few years back. And California (well, only the cities not the counties) are moderate because of Silicon Valley not bloody hippies from 50+ years ago! Mental.

Looking at how much time you have spent downplaying her being a racist on this thread due to not being sure or not wanting to take a position or exhaustion from the mental gymnastics, have you looked into her posting history at all?

Considering how much this story has blown up, the number of people condemning her tweets and the lack of the usual suspects defending her, is there not a tiny part of you thinking maybe I'm in the wrong on this one?

I’ve said this more than once: I could be wrong. I’ve looked through her blog. Can’t find any racist posts.

No one has presented anything beyond her Twitter history and a 20s video where she doesn’t really say anything.

She says it was satire. Reads like satire to me.

they/them/theirs

Maybe he's just calling out Antifa as the pack or retarded, deluded, hypocritical ****wits that they are?

If her tweets were literal, I don’t agree with her. If they were satire, who knows what she thinks.

You’re doing the usual, attacking me directly rather than debating the subject at hand. Stop. It’s tiresome.

Would you be so generous to a figure on the right working for Breitbart or Fox News?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

This story has blown up for people who watch certain youtube videos or follow certain twitter 'celebrities', the same people who fail to realise they are being deliberately targeted by these stories.

I absolutely guarantee that you if you try to discuss this story with any Irish person in the real world tomorrow they will laugh at you.

• Advertisement

What are ye on about. White boys are doing just fine in college, sure didn't a spate of them get off scott free for rape a few years back

Who are they now?

Nermal wrote: »

Whatever you need to say to yourself to justify he harassment and intimidation of women, mate.

Oh now it's women, she's being attacked for being a woman.

Jesus the lies in this thread, it just discredits you radicalized right automatically.

What are ye on about. White boys are doing just fine in college, sure didn't a spate of them get off scott free for rape a few years back

Who are they now?

www.google.com

Jesus what an absolute cluster**** of identity politics America has devolved to - I cannot stand this nonsense and hate to see people trying to import it over here; it tears society apart.

It's the Irish radicalized right who are trying to drag this 'left'-'right' nonsense into the country. Laughable. They know more about American politicians than Irish ones it's hilarious.

Would you be so generous to a figure on the right working for Breitbart or Fox News?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What are ye on about. White boys are doing just fine in college, sure didn't a spate of them get off scott free for rape a few years back. And California (well, only the cities not the counties) are moderate because of Silicon Valley not bloody hippies from 50+ years ago! Mental.

He’s talking about anti white rhetoric in us colleges.

www.google.com

It's the Irish radicalized right who are trying to drag this 'left'-'right' nonsense into the country. Laughable. They know more about American politicians than Irish ones it's hilarious.

You’re the one who has totally overwritten Irish history to make us all “white” in the American sense. That’s American leftism. There’s bound to be a reaction to that.

The left needs to go back to old school labour issues (I’m a fan of corbyn for instance).

• Advertisement

You’re the one who has totally overwritten Irish history to make us all “white” in the American sense. That’s American leftism. There’s bound to be a reaction to that.

The left needs to go back to old school labour issues (I’m a fan of corbyn for instance).

Corbyn would be fine if he hadn't let anti-Semitism in Labour spiral out of control.

He could, and should, have nipped that in the bud two years ago instead of commissioning the whitewash report he did that spent more time talking about Islamophobia rather than Anti-Semitism.

He should also have booted Ken Livingstone out of the Labour Party and suspended Naz Shah.

But...he's left himself in a hell of a pickle now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You’re the one who has totally overwritten Irish history to make us all “white” in the American sense. That’s American leftism.

Whereas we're actually the blacks of Europe. Saw it in a documentery once.

And if you're a Northside Dub.....

Corbyn would be fine if he hadn't let anti-Semitism in Labour spiral out of control.

He could, and should, have nipped that in the bud two years ago instead of commissioning the whitewash report he did that spent more time talking about Islamophobia rather than Anti-Semitism.

He should also have booted Ken Livingstone out of the Labour Party and suspended Naz Shah.

But...he's left himself in a hell of a pickle now.

I disagree but any response would push the thread off topic. Funnily enough there’s no discussion on this anywhere here.

The Catholic situation in Northern Ireland was similar to Jim Crow alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement