Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Misconduct in public office.

• 05-08-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭

As far as I know, the offence known as "misconduct in public office" exists in common law in England & Wales and Northern Ireland.

In England & Wales there have been several convictions on that charge in England & Wales, e.g. the newspaper phone-hacking cases, and one case that I know of in Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26971485

Does that offence exist in law in the Republic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

As far as I know, the offence known as "misconduct in public office" exists in common law in England & Wales and Northern Ireland.

In England & Wales there have been several convictions on that charge in England & Wales, e.g. the newspaper phone-hacking cases, and one case that I know of in Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26971485

Does that offence exist in law in the Republic?
    "Misconduct in public office" an offence in the Republic ??
    Thats a good one. Any more jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Edgware wrote: »
    "Misconduct in public office" an offence in the Republic ??
    Thats a good one. Any more jokes

Why do you think I was joking?

The Republic is, like Northern Ireland and England & Wales, a common-law jurisdiction. Presumably, that means that an offence that existed in law when all of the island of Ireland was part of the UK still exists unless it has been decriminalised or replaced by a statutory offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The second poster might have been referring to the Realpolitik in Ireland, where Misconduct in Public Office is almost never treated as an issue by the authorities,
    Willie O'Dea, while a govt minister, lied under oath at the High court, to try impugn a SF politician. Was never charged
    Bertie Ahern lied about the source of monies he got and the reasons for them while Taoiseach. He also lied about his education record while Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The second poster might have been referring to the Realpolitik in Ireland, where Misconduct in Public Office is almost never treated as an issue by the authorities,
    Willie O'Dea, while a govt minister, lied under oath at the High court, to try impugn a SF politician. Was never charged
    Bertie Ahern lied about the source of monies he got and the reasons for them while Taoiseach. He also lied about his education record while Taoiseach.

And thats only the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sure driving up motorways the wrong way slaughtered drunk is only for the craic like, no harm in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The second poster might have been referring to the Realpolitik in Ireland, where Misconduct in Public Office is almost never treated as an issue by the authorities, Willie O'Dea, while a govt minister, lied under oath at the High court, to try impugn a SF politician. Was never charged Bertie Ahern lied about the source of monies he got and the reasons for them while Taoiseach. He also lied about his education record while Taoiseach.

That money was only resting in my account! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That money was only resting in my account! :)

What account? The Minister for Finance has no accounts....

Also Fine Gael seem to not care about convict Lowry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Could we try to keep this to topic rather than party political handbagging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Does the OP not mean Malfeasance/Misfeasance in Public Office?

That's a civil offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Malfeasance (US)/Misfeasance (UK) is a tort.

That's a civil offence.

We do not have civil offences in this jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Back to the OPs query, misconduct in public office is a common law offence dating from the13th century.

The offence has never been used here, however in DPP vs Bartley (13 June 1997, unreported) High Court Mr. Justice Carney gave approval (obiter) to a UK case R vs Dytham [1979] 2 All ER 641 (CA) (which is a leading authority on the issue) in applying it's principles to members of the Gardaí thus confirming the offence was in force here (at least for Gardaí) for a limited time - just 39 days later the offence was abolished due to the introduction of the Criminal Law Act 1997.

GM228 wrote: »
    Malfeasance (US)/Misfeasance (UK) is a tort.

We do not have civil offences in this jurisdiction.

Aren't a tort and a civil offence the same thing?

I used the term "civil offence" to distinguish from "criminal offence".

I vaguely remember the term "civil offence" being used by a character to refer to trespassing when he was being questioned on "The Bill".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

No such thing as a "civil offence". They are torts that are actionable in the civil courts.

Advertisement