Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher/Lower end TV Models and Screen size?

Options
  • 05-08-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,I’m upgrading my TV and finding this a really hard decision to make:
    1 To go for a large screen size & get a lower-end TV, or
    2 Get a 65 inch TV, but get a higher-end model.

In a perfect world, I would just buy the 75” Sony Bravia KD-75XF9005, but considering the price of this model is nearly twice the price (yes twice) of the 65” model, I’m finding it really hard to justify paying all that extra money, when I consider the following.

I can actually buy online (new) a 2017 model Sony KD75XE85 75" for the same price as the Sony Bravia KD-65XF9005 above - the main differences in these models is the XF90 supports 4k HDR Premium, local dimming (the big difference), will support future updates of Dolby etc, but having said all that I have checked in stores where I have seen both the XF90 and an XF87 running at the same time and I actually couldn’t notice any difference in the picture quality between the 2 TVs based on the content they were showing. (There were a few OLEDs in store too and yes I could see the pop in the picture quality on those alright).

So when I factor in that I have to sit 12 feet away from the TV, I’m thinking I might actually get more benefit from the larger screen size on the lower-end TV (for the type of content I would be watching), then getting a higher end TV model with a smaller screen size. Am I missing something here or does my logic above make sense?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

The logic about TV size makes sense, especially at 12 ft viewing distance, and I wouldn't regard the TVs you mentioned as being "low end" in any case. As for the appearance of the TVs in-store, in that environment their colour, contrast and brightness settings are usually set to try to make an impact against flourescent lighting and lots of other TVs so I wouldn't be in a hurry to judge based on that. If you were really in doubt about the comparative strengths of the two TVs you mention, I'd compare the manufacturers specs and reputable online reviews ( hdtvtest, avforums) for the same model (may not necessarily be the same size panels).

I'd also consider asking Richersounds who have a forum here on Boards for their opinion of the comparison, they should have a helpful insight - or offer you a deal.

Hope that helps,

Ritz.

Advertisement