Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words and Phrases We Didn't Have Back Then ....

• 05-08-2018 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I am just watching a programme on ID Channel, called Who Killed Jane Doe? Her body was found back in 1968. Next, another body is found, and they begin to think there might be q serial killer involved - but then the presenter comments: Of course we did not have the term "serial killer" back in those days.

I'm fascinated with the number of times we hear similar comments, particularly in relation forensic investigations.

Back in the early 1980's, they did not see any need to keep samples from the body, as DNA was unheard of.

There are so many things back then that, as yet, did not even have a name.

Can you think of some more examples?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ill google it

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Ill google it

LOL! That's just what I'm thinking of doing myself. Looked up John Doe / Jane Doe - used especailly in America for an unidentifed corpse, male / female. Amazingly that goes back a long time to the 14th century England, according to Wiki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

'cold case' used to be 'unsolved crime'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Snickers used to be marathon

Very good, Harry Palmr! Having the original version is an added bonus. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Starburst were Opel Fruits

LOL! Should we allow this. This is a serious subject. :confused: :P

Sardonicat wrote: »

We started off with forensics. Are we now going to have to tolerate lists of candy shop treats from posters' chldhoods? In my young days we did not live near a candy shop, so I can't agree or disagree with these.

Carry on, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Cif used to be Jif

acai berry wrote: »

We started off with forensics. Are we now going to have to tolerate lists of candy shop treats from posters' chldhoods? In my young days we did not live near a candy shop, so I can't agree or disagree with these.

Carry on, please!
    Candy shops were called sweet shops....

I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Circle K

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gowel is a relatively new one, afaik, at least in widespread usage.

Oil of Olay was Oil of Ulay.

Stanford wrote: »
    Cif used to be Jif

Am familiar with that, Stanford. That's the cleaning product, you mean? I'm sure there was a good reason fot changing it - probably in connection with marketing and making lots more dosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I like mass murderers (instead of serial killers).

Cif used to be Jif

Am familiar with that, Stanford. That's the cleaning product, you mean? I'm sure there was a good reason fot changing it - probably in connection with marketing and making lots more dosh.
    Apparently, it was knownot as Cif in non English speaking countries all along but because Cif sounded like Syph, the slang term for Syphilis at the time, it was concluded that Cif would not be a good name for a product associated with cleanliness in English speaking countries. Around the end WW2 as far as I know.

I'll get my coat

I think candy is an American usage. It's just what came to my mind when I saw all of those sweetie names coming up.

Is there a difference in meaning between these two terms? To me mass murderer indicates someone who did all of his killing at one time, like the guy is Sweden.

Apparently, it was knownot as Cif in non English speaking countries all along but because Cif sounded like Syph, the slang term for Syphilis at the time, it was concluded that Cif would not be a good name for a product associated with cleanliness in English speaking countries. Around the end WW2 as far as I know.

Very interesting piece of knowledge, Sardonicat! :D

I'll get my coat

I like your jacket, Sardonicat. Couldn't resist that (inside joke) LOL! :D :P

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »

My first time hearing it - but don't mind me. :pac: :p

Found this:
    Gowel
    Anything trendy enough to warrant contemptuous disregard by adherents of counterculture.
    (Urban Dictionary).

There are other definitions, which I won't mention in polite company.

I'll get my coat

I like your jacket, Sardonicat. Couldn't resist that (inside joke) LOL! :D :P
    Im afraid that one went over my head. Must be all the sugary snacks I consumed in the 70s and 80s before the EU started to get sniffy about e numbers. ( seriously, some of those soft drinks we had glowed in the dark)

STIs ( sexually transmitted infections) were collectively know as VD (venereal disease)

Weapons of mass destruction were called big bombs

Foreign Direct Investment was known as "The Yanks"

True, its still called Jif in some countries as well as the famous VIM..!!

Im afraid that one went over my head. Must be all the sugary snacks I consumed in the 70s and 80s before the EU started to get sniffy about e numbers. ( seriously, some of those soft drinks we had glowed in the dark)

STIs ( sexually transmitted infections) were collectively know as VD (venereal disease)

That gave me a good laugh, especially the one about "The Yanks". Interesting info, though.

Re the "inside joke", it's meant to be inside, but I'll let you know. It's a stupid thing that originated in CBB Celebrity Big Brother, last year.

Odhinn wrote: »

My first time hearing it - but don't mind me. :pac: :p

Found this:
    Gowel
    Anything trendy enough to warrant contemptuous disregard by adherents of counterculture.
    (Urban Dictionary).

There are other definitions, which I won't mention in polite company.
    I've never heard that definition. But then again, I don't know what half the young ones do be saying these days. Sure sign I'm past it. I mean WTF does "woke" mean?

"Prime time" used to be "7 Days"

True, its still called Jif in some countries as well as the famous VIM..!!
    Referring to Vim dates me and you, Stanford. I grew up with Vim. It had a good ring to it. Like "Vim and Vigour". You'd imagine it was used as an aid to scrubbing. It came as a powder that was sprinkled on the surface needing to be cleaned and then plenty of elbow grease applied. Was sad to see the end of Vim.

Reminds me now of the phrase "It does what it says on the tin." LOL! That's not so long in existence, I imagine.

That gave me a good laugh, especially the one about "The Yanks". Interesting info, though.
    As in: "Don't vote for that shower. They want to increase corporation tax and sure if we do that The Yanks will pull out and Jimmy and Mary will have to emigrate cos there'll be no jobs for them here."

"Prime time" used to be "7 Days"
    Before that it was Today, Tonight.

Admit it, you've got the theme tune playing in your head now, complete with the little drum fill at the end.

• Advertisement

Referring to Vim dates me and you, Stanford. I grew up with Vim. It had a good ring to it. Like "Vim and Vigour". You'd imagine it was used as an aid to scrubbing. It came as a powder that was sprinkled on the surface needing to be cleaned and then plenty of elbow grease applied. Was sad to see the end of Vim.

Reminds me now of the phrase "It does what it says on the tin." LOL! That's not so long in existence, I imagine.

Still around..!! I often had the skin scrubbed off me with that and Carbolic Soap!!

I've never heard that definition. But then again, I don't know what half the young ones do be saying these days. Sure sign I'm past it. I mean WTF does "woke" mean?

Do we have to go back again to The Urban Dictionary? ;):D Is it related to "awake"?

Still around..!! I often had the skin scrubbed off me with that and Carbolic Soap!!
    LOL! I well remember it. Came in a very unattractive block. It was all we had in those days, which I'll not go into. :pac:

LOL! I well remember it. Came in a very unattractive block. It was all we had in those days, which I'll not go into. :pac:

Absolutely lethal stuff but was less pain inflicting when the corners wore off the block..!!

giphy.gif

For those who are interested in harking back to their childhood days!

Don't mind me! Just experimenting with putting up a gif (there's another word, btw!)

Absolutely lethal stuff but was less pain inflicting when the corners wore off the block..!!

You're so right, Stanford! In those days, it was common for families to have a "maid" servant employed. I have visions of the poor woman slaving away scrubbing wooden worktops and sinks with both the Vim and that soap. Her hands - poor thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I could murder a good mass :rolleyes:

I’ll get my tunic

Star Bingo wrote: »
    I could murder a good mass :rolleyes:

I’ll get my tunic

Repeat! I like your jacket! :pac: :D

Now here's one: "Money Laundering"! I believe that goes back to Al Capone days, 1930's, when the Italian Mafia used to buy up laundromats for use as cover for ill-gotten money.

Do we have to go back again to The Urban Dictionary? ;):D Is it related to "awake"?
    I'm fecked if I know. I tried Urban Dictionary and nothing.

LOL! Regarding the word "woke" we've come up with a road block. In what context was that word used, Sardonicat? Do we have to revert to the standard dictionary? :confused::D

Years ago there was no candy, we all ate sweets.

Truth be known, Charles Babbage, there probably still isn't any candy in Ireland. It's mostly in America, far as I know. This subject came up earlier in the thread. :pac: :D

• Advertisement

CRIME VOCABULARY WORD LIST (565)
    A) Abuse, Accessory, Accomplice, Accused, Accuser, Activists, Adversary, Affect, AFIS, Against, Agency, Aggravated assault, Alarm, Alcohol, Alert, Alias, Alibi, Alienate, Allegation, Ammunition, APB, Appeal, Armed, Arraignment, Arrest, Arsenal, Arson, Art forgery, Assailant, Assault, Attack, Authority, Autopsy
    B) Background check, Backup, Bail, Ballistics, Battery, Beat, Behavior, Behind bars, Belligerence, Big house, Blackmail, Bloodstain, Bombing, Brawl, Breach, Break-in, Breaking and entering, Bribery, Brutality, Bullying, Burden of proof, Burglary, Bystander
    C) Capture, Case, Caution, Chase, Cheat, Civil, Claim, Coercion, Collusion, Combat, Commission, Commit, Complaint, Complication, Conduct, Confession, Connection, Conspiracy, Contact, Contacts, Contempt, Control, Controversial, Conviction, Cops, Coroner, Corruption, Counsel, Counterfeit, Court, Credit theft, Crime, Criminal, Criminal justice system, Criminology, Cuffs, Custody
    D) Damage, Danger, Dangerous, Dark side, Data base, Deadly, Deal, Dealings, Death, Deed, Defendant, Defense, Deliberate, Delinquency, Democratic, Denial, Department, Deputy, Detail, Detain, Detection, Detective, Deter, Determination, Deviant, Direct, Discovery, Dismember, Disobedience, Disorderly, Dispatch, Disregard, Disruption, District attorney, DNA, Documentation, Documents, Domestic, Dossier, Drill, Drugs, Duty
    E) Educate, Education, Effect, Elusive, Embezzle, Emergency, Enable, Encumber, Enforce, Entail, Equality, Escape, Ethical, Evasive, Eviction, Evidence, Evil, Examination, Execute, Exonerate, Expert, Explosives, Expunge, Extort, Extradition, Extreme
    F) Failure, Fairness, Family, Fatality, Fault, FBI, Federal, Felony, Ferocity, Fight, Fighting, Fine, Fingerprint, Firebombing, First-degree, Flee, Footprints, Forbidden, Force, Forensics, Forgery, Formal charge, Frantic, Fraud, Freedom, Full-scale, Fundamental, Furtive
    G) Good guys, Gory, Government, Grief, Grievance, Guarantee, Guard, Guilty, Gun, Gunrunning
    H) Hand-to-hand, Handcuffs, Handle, Harassment, Harm, Harmful, Headquarters, Heinous, Helicopter, Help, Helpful, High-powered rifle, High-profile, Hijack, Hire, Holding cell, Holster, Homicide, Honesty, Honor, Hostage, Hot-line, Humanity
    I) Identification, Illegal, Immoral, Immunity, Impeach, Impression, Imprison, Improper, Incarceration, Incompetent, Incriminating, Indictment, Influence, Informant, Information, Initiative, Injury, Inmate, Innocence, Innocent, Inquest, Instruct, Integrity, Intelligence, Interests, Interference, International, Interpol, Interpretation, Interrogate, Interrogate, Interstate, Intervention, Interview, Intrastate, Intruder, Invasive, Investigate, Investigation, Irregular, Irresponsible, Issue
    J) Jail, John Doe, Judge, Judgment, Judicial, Judiciary, Jurisdiction, Jury, Justice, Juvenile
    K) Kidnapping, Kill, Killer, Kin
    L) Laboratory, Larceny, Law, Law-abiding, Lawfully, Lawsuit, Lawyer, Leaks, Lease, Legal, Legislation, Legitimate, Lethal, Libel, Liberty, License, Lie detector, Lien, Lieutenant, Limits, Long hours, Lowlife, Loyalty, Lynch
    M) Mace, Maintain, Majority, Malice, Malpractice, Manacled, Manslaughter, Marshal, Mayhem, Metal detector, Minor, Minority, Miscreant, Misdemeanor, Missing person, Mission, Model, Money laundering, Moratorium, Motorist, Murder, Murderer
    N) National, Negligent, Negotiable, Negotiate, Neighborhood, Network, Nine-one-one, Notation, Notification, Nuisance
    O) Oath, Obey, Obligation, Offender, Offense, Officer, Official, On-going, Open case, Opinion, Opportunity, Order, Organize, Ownership
    P) Partner, Partnership, Pathology, Patrol, Pattern, Pedestrian, Peeping Tom, Penalize, Penalty, Perjury, Perpetrator, Petition, Petty theft, Phony, Plainclothes officer, Plea, Plead, Police, Policy, Power, Precedent, Precinct, Preliminary findings, Prevention, Principle, Prior, Prison, Private, Probable cause, Probation, Probation officer, Procedure, Professional, Profile, Prohibit, Proof, Property, Prosecute, Prosecutor, Prostitution, Protection, Protocol, Provision, Public, Punishment
    Q) Quake, Qualification, Quality, Quantify, Quantity, Quarrel, Quell, Question, Quickly, Quirk, Quiver
    R) Radar, Raid, Rank, Rap sheet, Rape, Reason, Reckless endangerment, Record, Recovery, Recruit, Redress, Reduction, Refute, Register, Regulations, Reinforcement, Reject, Release, Repeal, Reported, Reports, Reprobate, Reputation, Requirement, Resist, Responsibility, Restitution, Restraining order, Restriction, Revenge, Rights, Riot, Robbery, Rogue, Rough, Rules, Rulings
    S) Sabotage, Safeguard, Sanction, Scene, Sealed record, Search and rescue team, Secret, Seize, Seizure, Selection, Sentence, Sergeant, Serial killer, Seriousness, Services, Sex crimes, Shackles, Sheriff, Shooting, Shyster, Sighting, Situation, Skillful, Slander, Slashing, Slaying, Smuggling, Sorrow, Speculation, Spying, Squad, Stabbing, Stalking, Statute, Statute of limitation, Stigma, Stipulation, Subdue, Subpoena, Successful, Summons, Supervise, Suppress, Surveillance, Survivor, Suspect, Suspected, Suspicion, Suspicious, Sworn, System
    T) Tactic, Task force, Terrorism, Testify, Testimony, Theft, Threatening, Three-strikes law, Thwart, Tire-slashing, Torture, Toxicology, Trace, Traffic, Trafficking, Tragedy, Transfer, Trauma, Treatment, Trespass, Trial, Trooper, Trust
    U) Unacceptable, Unauthorized, Unclaimed, Unconstitutional, Undercover, Underpaid, Understaffed, Unexpected, Unharmed, Uniform, Unintentional, Unit, Unjust, Unknown, Unlawful, Unsolved, Uphold
    V) Vagrancy, Vandalism, Viable, Vice, Victim, Victimize, Victory, Vigilance, Vigilante, Violate, Violation, Violence, Volunteer, Vow, Voyeurism, Vulnerable
    W) Wanted poster, Ward, Warning, Warped, Warrant, Watch, Weapon, Will, Wiretap, Wisdom, Witness, Worse, Wrong
    X)
    Y) Youth
    Z) Zeal, Zealous

For what it's worth, I found this list of forensic vocabulary Looking down through it, I'm not so sure if I can find any words that have found their way in in recent times. Mayvbe someone here can do better.

Come to think of it, maybe the first one, "abuse" is now used in a differnet sense to how it was used in the past.

Also "activists" probably is fairly new.

LOL! Regarding the word "woke" we've come up with a road block. In what contesxt was that word used, Sardonicat? Do we have to revert to the standard dictionary? :confused::D

I think it's used by the young feminists as something to aspire to be and conversely used as an insult by young men who don't agree with them. As I'm not not sure what it means I don't know if I'm woke or not. Don't know if it's gender specific and shouldn't apply to me as a woman. Maybe I don't want to be "woke". Maybe I've always been "woke"( I suspect that may be the case) I've come across the expression "woke man" being used as an insult by a man. Anyway, I'd just like to know what it means so I can replace it's use with a PROPER BLOODY WORD!

I love this one used in the American crime programmes: BOLO! Be On the LookOut.

Also APB - All Points Bulletin.

I think it's used by the young feminists as something to aspire to be and conversely used as an insult by young men who don't agree with them. As I'm not not sure what it means I don't know if I'm woke or not. Don't know if it's gender specific and shouldn't apply to me as a woman. Maybe I don't want to be "woke". Maybe I've always been "woke"( I suspect that may be the case) I've come across the expression "woke man" being used as an insult by a man. Anyway, I'd just like to know what it means so I can replace it's use with a PROPER BLOODY WORD!

Thanks for that, Sardonicat! I just did a little search for uses of the word and this was the first thing that came up.
    Woke is a slang term that is easing into the mainstream from some varieties of a dialect called African American Vernacular English (sometimes called AAVE). In AAVE, awake is often rendered as woke, as in, “I was sleeping, but now I'm woke.” 'Woke' is increasingly used as a byword for social awareness.

So I'm guessing the PROPER BLOODY version that you would prefer is "social awareness". Maybe, as older people would say "some savvy".;) :D

It also refers on the the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Why thank you. So yes, I'd like to think I'm woke but as with everyone there always room for improvement. I'm guessing in the context it's being used these days it relates to being aware of things like cultural and institutional racism and sexism.

I'll stick to social awareness, though.

mackeire wrote: »
    Circle K
    It's only now it's dawning on me what that is - the new name for Topaz garages. Spot on, mackeire! :D;)

Why thank you. So yes, I'd like to think I'm woke but as with everyone there always room for improvement. I'm guessing in the context it's being used these days it relates to being aware of things like cultural and institutional racism and sexism.

I'll stick to social awareness, though.

Me neither, Sardonicat; I don't think I will be using "woke" in that sense any time soon. But it's good to be armed with that knowledge, in case anyone uses it in my company.

That brings to mind a word a friend used to me recently i.e. that she had been "ghosted" by her boyfriend. She assumed I didn't know what that meant, but somehow or other, I had just a short time previously come across it, so I was ready for her. LOL! You hear something once and then you start hearing it all over the place.

Problem solving is now trouble shooting.

Taking risks became pushing the envelope

Baby'a prams/ buggies are called travel systems

Problem solving is now trouble shooting.

Taking risks became pushing the envelope

Baby'a prams/ buggies are called travel systems

You're a fund of information, Sardinicat. I like the last one in particular!

Back to my one-track forensic mind, I think the term "Wiretap" probably is fairly new, as it refers to technology.

Here's one:

The word "gross"meaning disgusting was given to us by none other than the wonderful George Harrison. First used in "A Hard Day's Night" he tells a promoter his shirts are gross and then elaborates to explain that it's a new way to say grotesque. Strictly speaking it was the script writer who wrote the exchange but he observed the Beatles and tried to stay as close to their ways of speaking as possible so it's fairly safe to assume that it was the lovely George who gave us that word or at the very least directly contributed it's common use. Hard to associate him with anything gross.

• Advertisement
Advertisement