Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words and Phrases We Didn't Have Back Then ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Amazing, Sardonicat! You wouldn't think a word in such common use nowdays had such an unusual start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

acai berry wrote: »
    Back to my one-track forensic mind, I think the term "Wiretap" probably is fairly new, as it refers to technology.

Wiretap goes back to the 1920s, so not that new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Speedsie wrote: »
    Wiretap goes back to the 1920s, so not that new.

Actually it's older than that...
    "Wiretapping first became a tool of U.S. law enforcement in the 1890s, but the Supreme Court didn't establish its constitutionality until 1928, at the height of Prohibition."
    http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2022653,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Olay was Oil of Ulay.

To thine own self be true

Speedsie wrote: »
    Actually it's older than that...
    "Wiretapping first became a tool of U.S. law enforcement in the 1890s, but the Supreme Court didn't establish its constitutionality until 1928, at the height of Prohibition."
    http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2022653,00.html

You're right, Speedsie! It's older than I had thought, but still fairly new.

"Drone" for unmanned aircraft
    The word "drone" was first used of an unmanned aerial vehicle in 1946, but advances in drone technology in the past few years have made the term much more common.

The word drone is inspired by the name for male bees, i.e "drone". It has a buzzing sound and acts in a mindless way as regards not participating with the other bees collecting honey etc.

See more:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-did-drones-get-their-name

"Three-strikes Law" - American.

I presume originating from the saying "Three strikes and you're out!"

https://www.taylor-taylor-law.com/taylor-taylor-legal-blog/2014/january/the-history-and-future-of-the-three-strikes-laws/
    Three strikes laws currently exist in more than 20 different states. The original "Three strikes and you're out" campaign was launched by the father of an 18-year-old young woman who was murdered in 1992 by a man with an extensive criminal record. The law didn't come to fruition until after the 1993 abduction and murder of a 12-year-old California girl. After that murder, more than 800,000 people signed a petition to enact the state's first legislation designed to not only deter repeat offenders but to enforce a stringent 25 years to life sentence on those individuals who were convicted of a third consecutive criminal offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Had the kids in Bray last week, the 5 year old spots something in a shop and asks for it - "can I have some cotton candy?" (She watches a lot of American crap on you tube) I explain that in Ireland we call it candy floss and off we toddle to get some.

It doesn't come on a stick anymore it comes in a bleeding plastic paint pot with cotton candy printed on it.

I don't want to live in this world anymore:mad:

Anyway - my point was we didn't used to say cotton candy - I for one refuse to change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

"Three-strikes Law" - American.

I presume originating from the saying "Three strikes and you're out!"

https://www.taylor-taylor-law.com/taylor-taylor-legal-blog/2014/january/the-history-and-future-of-the-three-strikes-laws/

Perhaps a football equivalent would be more apt. Yellow card-Red card. Why wait for them to commit a crime for a third time so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

I was very good at English and well read back in the old school days, got an A3 without ever even having read whatever Jane Austen book was on the course that LC year (like I was gonna read that)

I never heard of the word Bespoke before around 2013.

I never heard of gluten, or gluten free, before 2009.

Then the amount of made up sexual preferences and gender disorders. Pansexual, genderqueer, it's all post 2015 horse****.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Gowel is a relatively new one, afaik, at least in widespread usage.

I may be wrong but I think it's one of those traveller words that crossed to the mainstream in certain parts of the country. I've known of settled lads from various parts of the country to use sham (Donegal), bure (Cavan, Meath), feek and lack (Waterford). I'm fairly sure these were pavee words people started using first as a bit of a laugh and then somehow permanently, given I've heard travellers use all these terms in parts of the country where they aren't otherwise used (i.e. Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    I was very good at English and well read back in the old school days, got an A3 without ever even having read whatever Jane Austen book was on the course that LC year (like I was gonna read that)

I never heard of the word Bespoke before around 2013.

I never heard of gluten, or gluten free, before 2009.

Then the amount of made up sexual preferences and gender disorders. Pansexual, genderqueer, it's all post 2015 horse****.
    If you'd bothered to read Jane Austen you most likely would have encountered the word "bespoke".

True, there seems to be a lot of new gender related terms such as trans, trannie etc etc. The list seems endless.

I may be wrong but I think it's one of those traveller words that crossed to the mainstream in certain parts of the country. I've known of settled lads from various parts of the country to use sham (Donegal), bure (Cavan, Meath), feek and lack (Waterford). I'm fairly sure these were pavee words people started using first as a bit of a laugh and then somehow permanently, given I've heard travellers use all these terms in parts of the country where they aren't otherwise used (i.e. Dublin)

The word Gowel is in the Urban Dictionary. I don't know whether they pick up on Traveller words or not.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If you'd bothered to read Jane Austen you most likely would have encountered the word "bespoke".

Touche :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Selfie seems an obvious one.
    We all know what a 'selfie' is. Most of us spend more time than we'd like to admit snapping photos of ourselves with our front camera.

The better known meaning, with an 'ie' ending, has been in the dictionary since 2014.

But have you ever been a bit 'selfy'? It dates to the 17th century as a Scottish word meaning 'self-centred' or 'selfish'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/42873193

See more, such as swag, mansplainer, me time, ransomeware and tomoz in the above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Starburst were Opel Fruits

Opal Fruits. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Totes

Amazeballs....(shudder)

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Totes

Amazeballs....(shudder)

Absolutely! Shudder! Shudder! I hate it. Reminds me of Nicole Scherzinger on X-Factor and a rather unbearable contestant on My Kitchen Rules Australia.

RE tote - that's a bag, I presume. Not sure of the origin, but possibly American?

Absolutely! Shudder! Shudder! I hate it. Reminds me of Nicole Scherzinger on X-Factor and a rather unbearable contestant on My Kitchen Rules Australia.

RE tote - that's a bag, I presume. Not sure of the origin, but possibly American?

I have no idea of their origin but whenever I'm either going to Dublin or in Dublin I hear it everywhere.

Also can't stand the word "ledge" as in short for "legend" if you say any of these words in front of me, I'm likely to be envisioning clouting you in the head with a 2×4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Opal Fruits. ;)

Got there before me. :P

Opel is a German car maker once of GM and now of Peugoet-Citroen (PSA).
    Stanford wrote: »
    Cif used to be Jif

This is like Oil of Olay, they rebranded to brand name that was in use in other markets and so cut costs in advertising and packaging.
    valoren wrote: »
    Perhaps a football equivalent would be more apt. Yellow card-Red card. Why wait for them to commit a crime for a third time so to speak.

And what about the black card ?
    Always the confusing one.

Old days me ass.
    Get outta here right now.

Back in the old days it was an A, B, C and D, none of these modern effffeing A1, A2, A3 mullarkey.

I am not allowed discuss …

I have no idea of their origin but whenever I'm either going to Dublin or in Dublin I hear it everywhere.

Also can't stand the word "ledge" as in short for "legend" if you say any of these words in front of me, I'm likely to be envisioning clouting you in the head with a 2×4.

Ledge! Now that sounds like a real Dublin one. Could even have originated on TV3 Expose! ;) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Back in the old days.

Wireless was a radio.

A tablet was something Moses once had or something the doctor gave you for an ailment.

A phone was something that took years to get installed, was fixed to the wall or on a hall table.

A smart phone was one with the twirly dial thingy.

Cookies were something the cookie monster on Sesame Street ate.

A hot spot was some foreign place or beside the fireplace.

Surfing was something exotic on Hawaii 5-0

I am not allowed discuss …

Ledge! Now that sounds like a real Dublin one. Could even have originated on TV3 Expose! ;) :cool:

I swear to God one time I was on a bus heading up there about 3 or 4 years ago and I heard a couple of D4 types talking about a wild house party they had while one of their parents were away and I literally heard one of them say to his friend "tell your fawwwther I'm soooo sorry for dropping that half bottle of single malt and breaking it, he must be cross" and the other lad replies, No problem, he wasn't mad at all, he has 8 other bottles, they are only 150 euro each, but scratch the paint on his jag and he'll have your guts for gawwwwters"

While the whiskey dropper replies "Your Dad is such a ledgebag!"

Literally had to pinch myself and was thinking, am I actually hearing this?? It's still tattooed on the inside of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Cisgender it was simply male or female now we must use this term to pander to the trans agenda.

Doing your job for you, zcorpian88! :P :D

Re "totes" -
    The term tote or tate, meaning "to carry", can be traced back to the 17th century but was not used to describe bags until 1900. However, the tote bag craze in the United States began in the 1940s with the release of L.L. Bean's Boat Bag in 1944. Because they were easier than carrying luggage, most people opted for using tote bags. During the 1950s, tote bags began to enter into the main culture. Women primarily utilized them as practical handheld bags because they didn't require much care. It wasn't until the 1960s when the tote bag embraced personal style. Bonnie Cashin released her own line of tote bags called Cashin Carry Tote Bags which combined style and functionality. In the 1990s, Kate Spade ultimately transformed how American culture embraced tote bags when she began carrying them as fashion bags. Today, fashion lovers and consumers can find tote bags in a variety of decorations and theme

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tote_bag

Selfies.

"Ledgebag" - that's taking ledge a step further.

Reminds me of "douchebag".
    Noun. douchebag (plural douchebags) A sterile container which holds the fluid used for giving a vaginal douche. (US, slang, vulgar) A jerk or asshole; a mean or rude person; someone seen as being arrogant, snobby or obnoxious.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/douchebag

I'll email you.

Opal Fruits. ;)
    I'm blaming Auto Correct. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Advertisement

"Ledgebag" - that's taking ledge a step further.

Reminds me of "douchebag".

Oh yeah it's used up there, I don't know if I'd survive living in Dublin if that's how people talk. It's like the millennial crowd have this mini lingo that is just unpleasant to the ears, think the anglo/D4 accent has a part in it too.

Douche/douchebag is being increasingly used too by the odd person. I don't mind that one for some reason "douche" just seems a satisfying word to describe a contemptible or dickhead type of person. Almost as satisfying as gobshyte or b*****ks.

That leads me onto
    Nerd
    The first documented appearance of the word nerd is as the name of a creature in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950), in which the narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.
    nerd (plural nerds)

(slang, sometimes derogatory) A person who is intellectual but generally introverted
    (informal, sometimes derogatory) One who has an intense, obsessive interest in something.
    Synonyms: geek, otaku
    a computer nerd
    a comic-book nerd
    (slang, always derogatory) An unattractive, socially awkward, annoying, undesirable, and/or boring, person; a dork.
    Synonyms: dag (Australian), doofus, dork, dweeb, geek, goober, loser, propeller head, twerp
    Only a nerd would wear yellow and blue stripes with green pants.
    Nerds seem to have fun with each other, but in a way that causes others to laugh at them.
    Why are you hanging out with that nerd?
    (post-1980s) A member of a subculture revolving around video games, fantasy and science fiction, comic books and assorted media.

Oh yeah it's used up there, I don't know if I'd survive living in Dublin if that's how people talk. It's like the millennial crowd have this mini lingo that is just unpleasant to the ears, think the anglo/D4 accent has a part in it too.

Douche/douchebag is being increasingly used too by the odd person. I don't mind that one for some reason "douche" just seems a satisfying word to describe a contemptible or dickhead type of person. Almost as satisfying as gobshyte or b*****ks.

Interesting to research these last two. Have to be Irish! Not today nor yesterday, I image.

According to Wiki those perceived as being "nerds" are often bullied due to being socially awkward.

Interesting to research these last two. Have to be Irish! Not today nor yesterday, I image.

Oh the English say b*****ks too, we just perfected the pronunciation. Haha

Gobshyte has to be Irish, has to be!

Oh the English say b*****ks too, we just perfected the pronunciation. Haha

Gobshyte has to be Irish, has to be!

You tempted me, zcorpian88. Just your spelling seems a little off. Boards.ie machinery has editied the spelling but in Wiki, they use an "i" instead of a "y".
    gob****e (plural gob****es) (Ireland, slang, moderately offensive) One who engages in nonsensical chatter or unwanted conversation.

gob****e - Wiktionary
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gob****e

Kudos to you and me for guessing it originated in Ireland. :cool:

Fun examples re Gob****e on Urban Dictionary

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gob****e

Fun examples re Gob****e on Urban Dictionary

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gob****e"]https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gob****e[/URL]

LOL! Boards machinery won't let us go into this. You'll have to look it up youselves with the full spelling.

I put in the y deliberately just so it would be readable haha. I know it has an i

Boards put in stars or whatever when you say s**t with the appropriate spelling.

Gobs**te is a great word though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You tempted me, zorpian88. Just your spelling seems a little off. Boards.ie machinery has editied the spelling but in Wiki, they use an "i" instead of a "y".

gob****e - Wiktionary
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gob****e

Kudos to you and me for guessing it originated in Ireland. :cool:

Kudos to me for knowing Kudos comes from the Greek.

I put in the y deliberately just so it would be readable haha. I know it has an i

Boards put in stars or whatever when you say s**t with the appropriate spelling.

Gobs**te is a great word though.

I realise that now, zcorpian88. Smart move! Unfortunately we got caught between Urban Dictionary and Boards.ie in the end.

Twerking

Watch the video for info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D4zfv6tOsE

The History of Twerking (Hint: It Didn’t Start With Miley Cyrus)

https://www.entitymag.com/history-of-twerking-miley-cyrus/

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary} says the word twerk goes way back into the 1800''s, meaning a twisting or jerking movement or twitch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33265370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Americans,at least on their TV Box Sets, rather suddenly now spend a lot of time Reaching Out to other elements.....It makes them sound like Zombies or some such :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Americans,at least on their TV Box Sets, rather suddenly now spend a lot of time Reaching Out to other elements.....It makes them sound like Zombies or some such :confused:
    Yeah, what's wrong with "contacting" or "making contact " or even "getting in touch?
    Regrettably, this infuriating expression is not confined to North America.

• Advertisement

Twitterati

Users of Twitter, especially those who post frequently and have a large number of followers.
    "her post was retweeted by various members of the Twitterati"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

my aul one used to call me a whole host of made up names.

Twonker as an example

my aul one used to call me a whole host of made up names.

Twonker as an example

LOL! Has it found its way into any dictionary?

I swear to God one time I was on a bus heading up there about 3 or 4 years ago and I heard a couple of D4 types talking about a wild house party they had while one of their parents were away and I literally heard one of them say to his friend "tell your fawwwther I'm soooo sorry for dropping that half bottle of single malt and breaking it, he must be cross" and the other lad replies, No problem, he wasn't mad at all, he has 8 other bottles, they are only 150 euro each, but scratch the paint on his jag and he'll have your guts for gawwwwters"

While the whiskey dropper replies "Your Dad is such a ledgebag!"

Literally had to pinch myself and was thinking, am I actually hearing this?? It's still tattooed on the inside of my head.

I'm surprised people this rich travel by bus.

I'm surprised people this rich travel by bus.
    Maybe they're not only rich, but smart. LOL! ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement