Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Kilkenny like for young professionals ?

• 05-08-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a job offer in Kilkenny and have my reservations about accepting it based purely on location. I have never been there and don't have time to visit before the accepting deadline. I will likely have to house share which is adding to my concern, not knowing who I may end up with.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance on what kind of place it is like for young people/recent graduates as I am considering a year out so that I can secure a job somewhere I feel more enthusiastic about living like galway or cork.

Any and all information appreciated. Would prefer non biased opinions, tell it like it is. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Patsy794 wrote: »
    I have a job offer in Kilkenny and have my reservations about accepting it based purely on location. I have never been there and don't have time to visit before the accepting deadline. I will likely have to house share which is adding to my concern, not knowing who I may end up with.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance on what kind of place it is like for young people/recent graduates as I am considering a year out so that I can secure a job somewhere I feel more enthusiastic about living like galway or cork.

Any and all information appreciated. Would prefer non biased opinions, tell it like it is. Cheers!

Hi, I'm from a small county org and I moved here straight from college in Cork, I was 22 at the time, and I still live here now (aged 33!). I couldn't see myself ever living any where else now TBH so for me Kilkenny City is a great place to live.

The hardest part is the first six months/year as it takes time to build new friendships but that's where you need to make an effort either through getting to know your house mates or get involved in what ever clubs/actives you might have an interest in. Depending on what company you join as well there will likely be other people in a similar position to yourself.

It might be easier to give more specifics about life in Kilkenny if you gave some sort of idea of your type of personality / interests you have. e.g. are you Male / Female, into any sports, music, nightclubs, late bars, photography, etc..

Reason i ask is there's a lot of options e.g. Some sport wise - Tennis Club, Hockey Club, Soccer Clubs, Badminton, archery, Gaa Clubs, Golf Clubs etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

There's a great social life there. Plenty of boozing and nights out due to the massive tours it influx. I think if it's a choice between doing no job for the year or doing a career Job in Kilkenny id go to kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

hi, i am from kilkenny and lived away for years. i came back a couple of years ago i had been living in dublin and found it very hard to settle into. i was used to dublin living and the nightlife. it took me a good 12 months to settle but i would never leave kilkenny. having said that i am older than you and originally from here. it is a great place and plenty to do however you have to make the effort to get involved in different clubs groups. it also depends on the job...will the job give you good experience...i can't help you with accommodation unfortunately i have no idea what the situation is like here but best of luck with your decision and i hope all goes well for you but kilkenny rocks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it’s a great city and would be my first choice to move to if we ever decide to move out of rural area. I’ve lived in small towns like kilkenny before and it’s hard to beat for quality of life. Usually affordable and you can walk or cycle everywhere. Lovely parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's a great world where someone can consider a year out based purely on job location. Kilkenny is a town like any other in Ireland. It is what you make it! Better to spend a year getting experience for your cv than sitting on your hands. As for house sharing - most people have had to do it and we've all survived. It teaches important life skills that you can't learn at home or in college. Kilkenny is probably one of the better small towns in Ireland as it doesn't have a huge yob element and accommodation is usually a decent standard. No more than any other place there is lots to do - it just depends on your interests. You should be able to find a free book at any KK library called Kilkenny Kids/Kilkenny Lives which is updated annually and has details of clubs, activities, pubs, evening classes, etc in the town and county. You'll probably find that your friend base would consist of incommers like yourself as while Kilkenny people are very social and friendly they don't tend to let outsiders into their lives, or at least that has been my experience over the last twenty years.

I'd go for it if I were you. Better than working at a place marker job while something in a larger city comes up and sharing will always be dodgy wherever you have to do it. Probably less so in Kilkenny where the six degrees of separation is usually closer to two or three. You can always keep job hunting in the meantime. It's easier to get a job when you're in a job as we were told growing up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement