Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia Tatras Hiking

• 05-08-2018 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a place in the Slovakia mountains to stay a night or two that is easy public transport from Bratislava and that has hiking trails.

Has anyone got a recommendation? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi all,

I'm looking for a place in the Slovakia mountains to stay a night or two that is easy public transport from Bratislava and that has hiking trails.

Has anyone got a recommendation? Thanks.

Where are you looking at staying? I know the area reasonably well.

Poprad is probably your best bet. It's on the train line and close to the mountains.
    What's your itinerary?

Just to add.you can get a bus from the airport to train station in Bratislava. Book your train seats online. Go first class. It's a long trip! It's the Kosice train.
    There's a place to eat upstairs in the train station.

In the mountains themselves is Strbske pleso,or vysoke tatry.there is a light rail between them.

It's a long way to go for 2 nights.

If you want the low tatras.go as far as liptovsky mikulas.stay in the local villages of smrecany or ziar and head up to ziarska and ziarska sedlo or baranec.

I'd personally choose the high tatras. The scenery is more spectacular.

The alternative is to fly to Krakow and hire a car. It's a 2-3 hour drive south. Just make sure you can take it out of the country.

Pm me if you want more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Thanks for all that info. We had already booked flights to stay in Bratislava for 3 nights and wanted to go hiking somewhere.

I literally had no ideas or itinery. I think it's a bit too far alright. We will probably stay around Bratislava and make a designated trip to the tatras another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for all that info. We had already booked flights to stay in Bratislava for 3 nights and wanted to go hiking somewhere.

I literally had no ideas or itinery. I think it's a bit too far alright. We will probably stay around Bratislava and make a designated trip to the tatras another time.

The high tatras is well worth doing.

My wife tells me there is an early(fast) train from Bratislava about 6am. It gets you up to strbske pleso by lunchtime.
    Personally I'd skip Bratislava. It's full of Brits/Irish on s drinking spree.

Advertisement