Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Lou calls for border poll the day after west Belfast shooting - contradictory?

• 05-08-2018 6:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 7

RT&#201 wrote: »
    Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has doubled down on her Irish reunification U-turn and said a unity referendum is now at the centre of political discussion.

The comments come a week after Ms McDonald said a poll on Irish unity should not be held while uncertainty around Brexit remains.

Now Ms McDonald has said: "It is not a question of if a unity referendum will happen but a question of when."

Ms McDonald made the remarks during her keynote speech at the 37th annual National Hunger Strike Commemoration in Castlewellan, Co Down.

She added that the process of building a new and united Ireland must include unionists, and the Government has a responsibility to lead the discussion.

"The need for a referendum to end partition is writ large and the time for a unity referendum is drawing near.

"Political leaders must begin practical preparations for a new, inclusive Ireland beyond partition.

"The Irish Government in particular has a responsibility to lead an informed, reasoned and respectful public dialogue on this issue.

"As Britain turns away from Europe, the appeal of being part of a new and outward-looking Ireland will, I believe, prove ever more attractive to some within the unionist community.

"British identity can and must be accommodated in a united Ireland and I believe nationalist Ireland is open to constitutional and political safeguards to ensure this."

The Sinn Féin leader added that the party is committed to re-establishing the Executive and Assembly in Northern Ireland.

A few hours earlier...
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    A man has been seriously injured in what police described as a "paramilitary-style shooting" in west Belfast.

PSNI say that the man was shot in both legs in an alleyway in the Springhill Drive area of the city at around 10.30pm last night.

The man, who is in his 30s, was taken to hospital with what police say may be life-changing injuries.

An appeal to the public for information has been issued.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a united Ireland, but if Proddie UVF and UDA scum arseholes are going to cause mass-casualty chaos, what's the point?

There has to be a plan of action for the above.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Happy enough without the basket case bigoted backwater thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an oul united ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A few hours earlier...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a united Ireland, but if Proddie UVF and UDA scum arseholes are going to cause mass-casualty chaos, what's the point?

What do ye think?

Yeah because the IRA are such a bunch of law abiding folk that they wouldn’t dream of retaliating and killing some poor innocents.

Until the people of Northern Ireland (nationalists and unionists) learn to live in peace together in the same communities then there will be no referendum.

I don’t want a United Ireland and never will. It’s a stupid pipe dream that wouldn’t be entertained by nationalists if they were told the truth about what it would entail for them. No more free education, medical etc. No more ‘I hurt my wee finger and am disabled’ motability cars. Pay our car insurance and tax rates. Pay our doc fees etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is it me or are there more and more united Ireland threads popping up which always end up going the same direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

A few hours earlier...

What do ye think?

Yea but we could go after the basterds with the full force of the army.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

She never outlines what  is going to change in the Irish constitution to protect the Ulster Unionists identity or just what is going to be ripped up, it's meaningless drivel.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 County Tyrone Lad

Taytoland wrote: »
    She never outlines what  is going to change in the Irish constitution to protect the Ulster Unionists identity or just what is going to be ripped up, it's meaningless drivel.

The best solution for Ulster unionists if a UI is achieved are deportation orders and a one way ticket to Heathrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The best solution for Ulster unionists if a UI is achieved are deportation orders and a one way ticket to Heathrow.
    What a lot of nationalists actually believe but don't say it. Fair play to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 County Tyrone Lad

What was the shooting in west Belfast last night about BTW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I thought you would be so used to that oul ****e from her by now you wouldnt pay any attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a UI is happening. nothing can be done to stop it. it's a case of when and not if.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

well all sit down in the park with a big bag of cans and sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah because the IRA ate such a bunch of law abiding folk

I've never heard of these allegations before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

jcorr wrote: »

Righty, that worked out well for the British Army and RUC. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

She never outlines it because she know it's a non-starter in reality. Given that a UI is the end goal for republicans, it'd be realistic to think that they've put plenty of time and money into scoping out the potential solutions to the challenges that a UI would bring. They know how difficult it would be from a cultural, financial, security etc perspective, so they are playing dumb on the matter. If it was remotely possible they'd be releasing these reports.
    jcorr wrote: »

With the Irish army? You'll need a few billion, tens of billions to be more exact, to upgrade the army to the modern standards that are required to do that. I'm not even going to go into the can of worms that sending the army up there would open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Old enough to remember the war and the great peace everytime a thread like this starts my heart sinks

Push them into a corner and the whole thing starts up again I don't want this for my children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mary Lou is mad for the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

a UI is happening. nothing can be done to stop it. it's a case of when and not if.

Not if enough people think logically about it and use their vote to prevent it.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not if enough people think logically about it and use their vote to prevent it.

very unlikely that their vote would prevent it. especially now that brexit is happening. ultimately the northern irish vote is the one that matters. if NI votes to join us and the south voted not to take them, i believe we would still be taking them as britain and the EU would make sure we did because it would be in their interests to do so due to the border issue.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

if NI votes to join us and the south voted not to take them, i believe we would still be taking them as britain and the EU would make sure we did because it would be in their interests to do so due to the border issue.

The EU and UK would conspire to overrule an Irish referendum and redraw the map anyway even though (in this hypothetical scenario) we would have explicitly voted against it?

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The EU would conspire to overrule an Irish referendum anyway even though we would have explicitly voted against it?

Really?

Eh.... Its happened a few times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

very unlikely that their vote would prevent it. especially now that brexit is happening. ultimately the northern irish vote is the one that matters. if NI votes to join us and the south voted not to take them, i believe we would still be taking them as britain and the EU would make sure we did because it would be in their interests to do so due to the border issue.

Believe what you wish, but that scenario is as far from a possibly as you can get.

The EU and UK would conspire to overrule an Irish referendum and redraw the map anyway even though (in this hypothetical scenario) we would have explicitly voted against it?

Really?

no they would simply be forcing reunification because it's in the majority's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

KevRossi wrote: »

The EU and GB got together and decided to redraw the map of Ireland? What county did the sneak in? Was it Louth? It's the only one that's small enough to switch without people noticing.
    no they would simply be forcing reunification because it's in the majority's interest.

But the people in the RoI have voted against it, according to your post, so it's not.

KevRossi wrote: »

no . what happened is we voted no and were then given concessions. this meant a new deal which required another referendum. we voted on something new the second time. that's democracy in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Really?

Probably forgot to add: "MEANWHILE: IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

I for one would welcome the Protestants, Unionists and Loyalists with open arms. It's the only way it'll work. Yes – some of the Loyalists are dysfunctional, but aren't we all a little bit? It depresses the hell out of me when people in the republic say they want nothing to do with the north. I mean – what the hell???? I can't comprehend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Infini wrote: »
    Probably forgot to add: "MEANWHILE: IN AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE".

Like your use of the old CAPS there.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Yeah because the IRA ate such a bunch of law abiding folk that they wouldn’t dream of retaliating and killing some poor innocents.

A fine dish of whataboutery I must say as a Northerner myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The army council must have had a word in her ear after Monday’s speech.

Who’s running the show there???

Southerners are insecure about being seen as those who pussied out during the troubles. I never actually was taught this as a student here, but they seem to think we were. It's all insecurity in the end. They're scared of a democratic UI because of Loyalist terrorist actions, who in their right mind would want to join a nation like that? Just because our forefathers fought for their freedom, and a Tyrone man drew up the entire plan for the Rising, does not mean we should still want to join a country that is basically the diet version of England in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

A million extra potential voters who won't vote for SF, plus many more on either side of the border who presently vote for them who then would no longer see that party as then being irrelevant in any future UI.

Not to mention electoral pacts & coalitions being formed against them.

The SF vote would collapse further in a United Ireland parliament, they only currently get 15.2% of the total all Ireland votes, do they really think they could form an all Ireland government or put together a coalition in that scenario? :pac:

When will people realise no one owns land, we are only caretakers.

All a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

All a load of nonsense.
    TallIllustriousCub-max-1mb.gif

Southerners are insecure about being seen as those who pussied out during the troubles. I never actually was taught this as a student here, but they seem to think we were. It's all insecurity in the end. They're scared of a democratic UI because of Loyalist terrorist actions, who in their right mind would want to join a nation like that? Just because our forefathers fought for their freedom, and a Tyrone man drew up the entire plan for the Rising, does not mean we should still want to join a country that is basically the diet version of England in 2018.

Personally, and I've heard it from a good few others too, it's not just the loyalists we don't want.

• Advertisement

TallIllustriousCub-max-1mb.gif

Bunch of idiots constantly bickering, they all need to get over themselves and move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

All a load of nonsense.

You're dead right, we ARE caretakers! – And as such WE should TAKE CARE of the land. ALL of us that inhabit THIS island.

Personally, and I've heard it from a good few others too, it's not just the loyalists we don't want.

Polls say otherwise. We all know you're from a weaker people. You delete your west brit, the pale, mentality post history (easily viewed if you check his cached posts btw). Says it all. I have never deleted a post.

Polls say otherwise. We all know you're from a weaker people. You delete your west brit, the pale, mentality post history (easily viewed if you check his cached posts btw). Says it all. I have never deleted a post.

Weaker? Nah. Our people were able to get our freedom from yours.

Weaker? Nah. Our people were able to get our freedom from yours.

"Weaker? Nah. Our people were able to get our freedom from yours."

What? You're from the Pale mate. You got freedom from your own people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The end of the world is happening, nothing can be done to stop it. It's a case of when and not if.

Few billion years still counts as "when" I suppose.......

A million extra potential voters who won't vote for SF, plus many more on either side of the border who presently vote for them who then would no longer see that party as then being irrelevant in any future UI.

Not to mention electoral pacts & coalitions being formed against them.

The SF vote would collapse further in a United Ireland parliament, they only currently get 15.2% of the total all Ireland votes, do they really think they could form an all Ireland government or put together a coalition in that scenario? :pac:

Sinn Fein would go the same way as UKIP. Turkeys, Christmas and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Well the **** fit the Shinners threw at the decision to appoint a Protestant from the Unionist tradition as Garda Commissioner just highlighted the fact that they still see protestants and unionists as second class citizens unfit for high office in a united Ireland. From a long term strategic perspective that sectarian reaction was a disaster for the chances of a united Ireland as it simply reminded protestants and unionists of how much they stand to lose in a united Ireland.

Anyway there is little chance that it will pass along the Catholic population either north or South. In the south we don't want that hospital pass of crippling economic demands and social unrest. The UK broke it they can keep it.. And in the North a vocal minority like to prattle on about how the south abandoned them and now we must take them in but in my experience talking to people in the North most Catholics know they are much muchbetter off now in the UK than in a united Ireland. The peace process would be metaphorically shattered and all those new glass fronted buildings around Belfast (and Dublin) would literally be shattered. Their health and education systems would all but disappear to be replaced by the shambolic services we have down here. And many of their imaginary state funded jobs would disappear as the 2 million taxpayers in the south can't provide the same money as the 30 million taxpayers in the UK.

We've had a united Ireland in all but name through the EU and we will again in 10 years when the UK reverse Brexit. That will happen generations before any vote on an actual United Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think a 32 county republic is all but a certainty in the next few decades but I also think this needs to happen in conjunction with a brand new constitution that recognises and respects the ethnic, national and religious identities of all people on this island and values the diversity of its inhabitants both historical and present.

The DUP Taliban and their ilk can stick their heads in the sand and deny it all they want, it's going to happen, and people of unionist/loyalist backgrounds will vote for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Our existing republic is dysfunctional enough as it is without adding Northern Ireland. People have romantic notions about An united Ireland but can we afford one? We would need to prop up the north financially, then run the risk of a new period of troubles breaking out with hardcore loyalists driving it. That would require a large investment in the Gardai and Defence Forces.

The harsh reality is Northern Ireland, in my opinion , is neither truly British or Irish. Maybe if anything was going to happen they should go their own way and become an independent state.

Our existing republic is dysfunctional enough as it is without adding Northern Ireland. People have romantic notions about An united Ireland but can we afford one? We would need to prop up the north financially, then run the risk of a new period of troubles breaking out with hardcore loyalists driving it. That would require a large investment in the Gardai and Defence Forces.

The harsh reality is Northern Ireland, in my opinion , is neither truly British or Irish. Maybe if anything was going to happen they should go their own way and become an independent state.

we will have to afford it as it is going to happen at some stage. any trouble caused by a tiny minority of loyalists would be small and easily dealt with. investment in the gardai and defence forces is needed anyway so it's irrelevant to this issue.
    northern ireland is irish, it belongs to ireland and will be returning to ireland. it is not and never will be anything other then irish and would not survive as an independant state. there is no argument against a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there is no argument against a UI.

there are plenty as many posters have pointed out. There are far more arguments against than for IMO. Aside from the romantic notion of a single country there is really very little reason to actively go for it. NI should remain its own country, attached to Britian or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Vote to leave UK would have to happen first as to saying we in the Republic then join those in northern ireland to vote do their votes count 4 times to make it even based on population or will this be the usual there's more of us than them we can't lose sure thing type vote like the nice treaty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Would be interesting (though not going to happen) to have one vote with two choices:
    1. Join with Ireland to create a 32 county republic under a new inclusive constitution and remain in the EU.
    2. Remain in the UK and Brexit.

Could pull a few unionists away from their traditional path I guess.

For sure if those of us in Ireland have aspirations towards a UI, we need to redraw our constitution, flag and national anthem. A lot of thought would need to go into inclusion and trying to make for a real community and shared identity with unionists. Would be interesting and very difficult times.

I think in the meantime, the government should be putting pressure on the GAA to break away from it's republican/political roots -for example stopping with the national anthem before matches, ESPECIALLY in Northern Ireand which let's not forget is a different country. The normalisation of all island bodies as happens a bit in some sports helps to smooth this transition. FAI and IFA joining would be fantastic too (though far fetched I'm led to believe)

• Advertisement
Advertisement