Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What straight forward Vegetables can a novice gardener plant in August?

Options
  • 05-08-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks ,

I am building some raised beds here and chancing my arm at growing some veg .

Could anyone recommend some straightforward enough vegetables that I could plant now in the month of August ?

I will be building a small greenhouse too and have joined my local GIY.

Thanks for any pointers

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bit late to put stuff in now - I think pak choi is often planted now as it likes to come good when its getting cooler

also garlic, onions and broad beans can all be planted in autumn and overwintered to be harvested in spring / early Summer

I think purple or sprouting broccoli might be a runner now on the same basis

maybe some salads that you can plant throughout the season

you could chance beetroot and dwarf french beans but probably a couple of weeks too late

garlic is prob your best bet as a no brainer and tastes quite good relative to stuff you buy, and they say broad beans are easy, though I've never had much success

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Little gem lettuce and radishes are fast and should be ready before it gets too cold.
    Swedish turnips/swedes are also said to be OK to plant up to August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I overwintered kale, onions and garlic last year. The purple kale I had was hardy out and sat under a meter of snow for half a week before I dug it out and ate it.

The few plants I left went on to flower so if it can survive the exceptional weather we had this year it should survive anything!

Yeah - sorry - what I posted above is what you could successfully propogate from seed now - if you can buy plants you could definitely grow beetroot, and kale and chard along with leeks and some cabbages, brussels sprouts will keep going into winter, though I'd say a lot of garden centres have stopped veg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Thanks for the info all . What about strawberries , do they go down this time of year ?

• Advertisement

You can probably put them down any time its not cold - I was in two garden centres this morning though and not an edible plant for sale, season seems over for them. If you know anyone who has strawberries though they'll be sending out suckers at some point and can be put into new pots for transplanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thanks for the info all . What about strawberries , do they go down this time of year ?

Saw strawberry plants in the half price section in Woodies last weekend. No chance of fruit I'd reckon this year but you could get them established for next year. My own are forming runners currently so lots of new little plants taking root.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You could plant certain varieties of potato now and have them ready for Xmas Dinner yum. It's a nice little touch for Xmas Dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Wild garlic. Makes great pesto.
    Too late for strawberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

iamtony wrote: »
    You could plant certain varieties of potato now and have them ready for Xmas Dinner yum. It's a nice little touch for Xmas Dinner.

What varieties could you sow and would it have to be in a polytunnel or grenhouse thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

bizidea wrote: »
    What varieties could you sow and would it have to be in a polytunnel or grenhouse thanks
    I'm not sure of the types but there are probably a few different types and you can plant them into the ground outside.

bizidea wrote: »

There's a shop in on Mary St that sells potatoes for winter growing. Generally they're the same type as normal ones, with a preference for "earlies", i.e., potatoes that mature early. They will only get a little bigger than baby potatoes between now and Christmas.

Advertisement