Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nervous 6 year old

Options
  • 05-08-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice. Our 6 year old son(eldest of two) is a very nervous child. He gets on well at school but doesn't seem to have any self confidence. He plays hurling and football and loves them. But any time we give out -nothing major, things like not picking up his toys, and its not too excessive!- he just gets really upset and can't take it. He even walks around with his hands and fists tensed all the time, like he's on edge. My husband and I have tried reassuring, comforting etc. and have also tried to talk issues out but he just won't listen and keeps whining. We're getting really worried about it now- I know this can be relayed to his feelings but we don't talk about it in front of him. Homeopathy was suggested to us??
    Any advice is greatly appreciated..ppl close to us we may have mentioned it to say 'ah he'll grow out of it' but it'snot that easy to watch him when he's strugling with his feelings.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Maybe consider teaching some language about fears or worries. If you have a large roll of wall paper, draw an outline of a man on it and ask about where he feels different feelings e.g hungry in our tummy, happy in our hearts, angry in our fists, worry in our arms, legs, tummy etc. next I would suggest purchasing something like “what to do when you worry too much”. It’s a short workbook/story that talks about worry and ways to overcome it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He sounds anxious . Has he always been like that or is it a new thing ? Could you ask the teacher if she has noticed ?
    I think you are right to try help him get out of this vicious circle . Waiting to " grow out of it " is not fair to the little boy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

What to do when you worry too much
    Is an excellent book and worth a read.
    Sitting like a frog is a good mindfullness book & cd aimed at children

Advertisement