Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny Foreign Phrases

• 05-08-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

Read somewhere that Croatians say you are “throwing cream into their eyes" when someone is obviously lying to you.

Do you know any foreign phrases that just dont translate into meaningful English?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

Du hast einen Vogel! = You have a bird!

Meaning: You're crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I like the old Arab curse; "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Read somewhere that Croatians say you are “throwing cream into their eyes" when someone is obviously lying to you.

Do you know any foreign phrases that just dont translate into meaningful English?
    Are you “throwing cream into my eyes?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

When sausages are talking, smoked meat stays up on the hook.
    Meaning: feck off this is a private conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ah, la vache! = Holy cow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Se noyer dans une verre d'eau. It translates as drowning in a glass of water, and is a Fench expression for someone who will be defeated by the smallest obstacle in life. For a drama queen, too.

May the hair on your upper lip grow up and get entangled with the hair from your nostrils growing down.
    Albeit from "The Golden Girls" and therefore not genuine Italian, but I liked that one anyway.

However a genuine one (and similar to the Croat phrase mentioned above) is the Russian saying "Don't hang chips from my ears" meaning don't tell me lies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"Don't push granny in the nettles" (Fr.) - don't exaggerate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Enculer Des mouches - flyfücking as a euphemism for pedantry.

In Dutch they shag ants instead.

• Advertisement

It's sausage to me - German expression for "I don't care"

Likewise in Greece, "there's trouble in the Gypsy village" also means I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Not a phrase as such, but in Spain, a swiss roll is called a gypsy's arm. Always gives me a chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Qrt

"Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof" from German, i.e. Life ain't easy. I'm sure the phrase "throw the baby out with the bathwater" stems from German originally too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Ulster says No

pmsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

"Don't push granny in the nettles" (Fr.) - don't exaggerate

I assume a French person explained that to you, same happened to me and they misuse the term exaggerate a bit. They don't say it if it's like, an overestimation or embellishing details, this phrase is actually used when someone is being mean / kicking someone when they're down, which makes it funnier and even more apt. :pac:

Another one I like in French is "Tu as des bruns dans les yeux ?", can't find any examples online but they use it in the north to mean "Are you blind?", literally meaning "Do you have **** in your eyes" :D

In Spanish a relatively normal way to say the middle of nowhere is "en el quinto pino" (in the fifth pine tree), but a variation is "en el quinto coño" in the fifth c*nt. Spanish speakers are very expressive in that way!!

Another very idiomatic one for something like "Gway / I don't believe you / don't take the piss" is "No me jodas", literally "don't fúck me".

Went to look up one I know of in Finnish and found an entire list of hilarious Finnish ones here. I might start using some of them in English...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ohrwurm/Earworm - Song that you can't get out of your head.

German, but I think used in other countries as well. Had never heard it before I moved abroad.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Not really a phrase but in Malaysia (well among Malaysian Chinese mostly) they use the word "la" or "lah" at the end of every sentence. It kind of gives more emphasis to the sentence.

I worked with a guy when I was down there and he used la a couple of times in each sentence lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭Poochie05

In Italy they touch iron instead of wood for luck.
    Lived in Italy and my housemates and I had great fun swapping sayings.
    Funniest was my Italian housemate going around telling people 'Io conosco le mie cipolle' (I know my onions) to many a WTF :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

"Good moaning".

• Advertisement

If the mountain won't come to the prophet, the prophet will have to go to the mountain.

German as well, no idea about it's origins, but it's a saying meaning if it's too hard or impossible to do something a certain way, another way of doing it may be easier and more successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

if the hill will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet will go to the hill
    Francis Bacon 1625

jcorr wrote: »
    Not really a phrase but in Malaysia (well among Malaysian Chinese mostly) they use the word "la" or "lah" at the end of every sentence. It kind of gives more emphasis to the sentence.

I worked with a guy when I was down there and he used la a couple of times in each sentence lol.

Malaysia, Singapore and Carlow. Not sure what the connection is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There's a polish one I like. "Not my monkeys, not my circus"
    i.e. It's not my fecking problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Shenshen wrote: »
    If the mountain won't come to the prophet, the prophet will have to go to the mountain.

German as well, no idea about it's origins, but it's a saying meaning if it's too hard or impossible to do something a certain way, another way of doing it may be easier and more successful.

Not German in origin - it actually comes from Francis Bacon's Essays (1625) where he recounts the story of Muhammad

"Mahomet cald the Hill to come to him. And when the Hill stood still, he was neuer a whit abashed, but said; If the Hill will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet wil go to the hil."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Not German in origin - it actually comes from Francis Bacon's Essays (1625) where he recounts the story of Muhammad

"Mahomet cald the Hill to come to him. And when the Hill stood still, he was neuer a whit abashed, but said; If the Hill will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet wil go to the hil."

I'd never heard that with the prophet. I'd always heard it with Mohammad. So I assumed it was islamic. Turns out I got the reference right but not the origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

l'esprit d'escalier - a french phrase meaning 'the wit of the staircase' - it essentially refers to the witty comeback you think of, as you're leaving the building and the moment has passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Va te faire cuire un oeuf - go cook an egg, or more bluntly , fcuk off:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The snow in the summer or so so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Great Armenian saying "One likes the priest, and one likes the priest's wife." Different people have different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

"kids"

American for 20-something year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"ey ya goin c**t?"

That's the Aussie version of "how are you today?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ya gotta love (thanks to the rugby forum some time aback for this one), the French phrase, which is even improved upon rather, I think, in its even further nonsensical translation variants to english : "trainer des casseroles au cul".

ie, roughly, "to have saucepans hanging from your arse".

As in, "that Bertie Ahearn, he has a lot of saucepans on his arse". The meaning, needless to say, is (or may not be, the debate goes on, but dont let that stop you using the phrase daily), that he has a lot of questionable or shady baggage in the closet.

Try it yourself. About your boss, your neighbour, brother in law, or whatever. Lots of variants : "look at Seamus there, he is really dragging a lot of saucepans around from his backside", etc.
    Endlessly useful, and highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

12 months in Estonian sounds like something completely different in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

English: ...(to have) other fish to fry

French: ...avoir d'autres chats ouetter...(to have) other cats to whip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Scotland: "Dinnae fasht yerself, fill yer boots"

Meaning: "Don't be starving yourself, fill your boots and eat that white bread sandwich"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kommandant, haben Sie etwas auf dem Dachboden gehört?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Canard wrote: »
    Another one I like in French is "Tu as des bruns dans les yeux ?", can't find any examples online but they use it in the north to mean "Are you blind?", literally meaning "Do you have **** in your eyes" :D

Interesting ! in Lyon we used to say : "t'as des peaux de sauce' dans les yeux ?" (let's get our priorities right here :D) (ie saucisson !)
    We never use the term "des bruns" !

There's this saying in French when you're disgusted, disappointed, let down by a situation, or when you're scared, that even women use : "oh putain j'ai les boules !" means literally "I have the balls".

You'd often gesture like you've balls hanging off your chin (around your neck) when saying it.

Why you'd have balls hanging off your neck when you're nervous or disappointed I don't know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭hognef

"Det er ugler i mosen" (Norwegian, translates as "there are owls in the moss"), derived from "der er uller i mosen" (Danish, translates as "there are wolves in the bog"): this is suspicious, or perhaps dangerous; something is not quite right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

A beetle recognizes another beetle.Or it takes one to know one .

Yes I know its not a foreign language but i love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Kümmere Dich nicht um ungelegte Eier.

“Don’t worry about eggs that haven’t been laid yet.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Ich drucke dir die daumen, Germans press their thumbs for you rather than crossing their fingers to wish someone luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Interesting ! in Lyon we used to say : "t'as des peaux de sauce' dans les yeux ?" (let's get our priorities right here :D) (ie saucisson !)
    We never use the term "des bruns" !

There's this saying in French when you're disgusted, disappointed, let down by a situation, or when you're scared, that even women use : "oh putain j'ai les boules !" means literally "I have the balls".

You'd often gesture like you've balls hanging off your chin (around your neck) when saying it.

Why you'd have balls hanging off your neck when you're nervous or disappointed I don't know :)
    Hahaha that reminds me of the expressions je m'en bats les couilles and tu me casses les couilles... which, of course, are not particularly strange to English speakers, but they definitely are when girls say them to me in French, or worse, in English! :pac: :P

Translations for the Irish :):
    Je m'en bats les couilles = I don't give a sh1t = "I hit my balls with it"
    Tu me casses les couilles = You're getting on my nerves / pissing me off = "You're breaking my balls"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hahaha that reminds me of the expressions je m'en bats les couilles and tu me casses les couilles... which, of course, are not particularly strange to English speakers, but they definitely are when girls say them to me in French, or worse, in English! :pac: :P

Tu me casses les couilles = You're getting on my nerves / pissing me off = "You're breaking my balls"

I know ! :D
    "ca me gonfle" is the same I suppose, it's not like it's just all males saying it.
    I'm trying to remember funny modern variants I always hear coming out of my nephews' mouths, but other than them calling each other "ma couille", it's not coming to me right now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Varying in Italian also to calling such a perpetrator a 'ball breaker', as a general pain in the ass. A 'rompicoglioni'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

"Ass grass". Aussie name for traditional Tahitian female dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hungarian.

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

In Portuguese, if you wanted to describe something as superficial, fake, or just used to please others, it is described as being “para inglês ver”, meaning “for the English (people) to see”. Obviously it has political connotations (eg the Rio Olympics a few years ago) but it’s often used to describe anything perceived to be shallow or contrived.

I just heard one I hadn't heard in quite a while one from a German colleague : "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau".
    Translates as the egg-laying wool-milk pig. In short, one animal that gives eggs, wool, milk and pork. It's a phrase used when people's expectations of something are absurdly high.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shenshen wrote: »
    I just heard one I hadn't heard in quite a while one from a German colleague : "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau".
    Translates as the egg-laying wool-milk pig. In short, one animal that gives eggs, wool, milk and pork. It's a phrase used when people's expectations of something are absurdly high.

Hes a semi-aquatic egg-laying wool-milk pig of action

• Advertisement
Advertisement