Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading Up Risks

Options
  • 05-08-2018 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

When trading up is there a way to make the sale dependent on the success of the buy? The only reason to sell for me is to buy another property, unless it happens I don't want to sell. How people manage their risks in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    When trading up is there a way to make the sale dependent on the success of the buy? The only reason to sell for me is to buy another property, unless it happens I don't want to sell. How people manage their risks in this case?

You sign both sets of contracts at the same time. This mostly mitigates the risk. If one side cannot close for some reason (life cover, title) then it’s a bit more complicated. Talk to your solicitor.

Remember you are not committed until contracts signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GalwayBmw

I am aware of binding/non-binding phases, but in an absolute nightmare of a scenario I don't want to end up with a heap of money and hotel leaving - need to understand how can I protect myself against it. Never mind legal issues as they should be cleared before contracts signing, more concerned about human related risks whatever they are driven by.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I think protecting yourself is easier and solicitor will guide you on ensuring contracts both signed at same time. Tougher bit might be the commercial reality. Like you might lose on a good sale or purchase opportunity as can't back to back them. I asked a valuer about it and he said selling up first the most straight forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

GalwayBmw wrote: »

Only sign the contract with your purchaser after the vendor signs the contract with you. You run the risk of your purchaser pulling out so you have to give your vendor tight time frames to return signed contracts,

Advertisement