Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday pay??

Options
  • 06-08-2018 1:11am

So I was just wondering I am not receiving any extra for Sunday’s, I know we are meant to get something but we get nothing just a flat rate. Any advice on how to get it? People have previously tried to get it and were shut down with the threat of no hour ( it’s a zero hour contract, it’s allowed I work in a hospital setting ). Who can I contact for help? Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

it is often the case where Sunday is part of the scheduled work week that pay for this is already included. I’ve worked in one such place.

If you’ve been asked to switch to work Sunday’s then you may be in a position to negotiate something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If you work in a public hospital the payscale and rates are available and the union(s) which deal with your job role would be able to intercede if you are a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you work in a public hospital the payscale and rates are available and the union(s) which deal with your job role would be able to intercede if you are a member.

Unions won't have allowed zero hour contracts. OP most likely works for a contractor and if they are giving zero hour contracts they aren't going to be offering OT for Sundays.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So I was just wondering I am not receiving any extra for Sunday’s, I know we are meant to get something but we get nothing just a flat rate. Any advice on how to get it? People have previously tried to get it and were shut down with the threat of no hour ( it’s a zero hour contract, it’s allowed I work in a hospital setting ). Who can I contact for help? Thanks for help.
    When you say you know that you're meant to get something extra, did they tell you that?

I've worked zero hour contracts where there was no extra pay for Sundays.

Peregrine wrote: »
    When you say you know that you're meant to get something extra, did they tell you that?

I've worked zero hour contracts where there was no extra pay for Sundays.

No I looked it up on citizen information which says you are legally intitled to one of the following a reasonable pay increase, a reasonable allowance or reasonable paid time off.... I receive none of those....When people asked before they started receiving no hours or very little to keep them afloat and then they quit...shady business practice I know.. we don’t have a union people have tried to join one and again were threaten with no hours so they shut up about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No I looked it up on citizen information which says you are legally intitled to one of the following a reasonable pay increase, a reasonable allowance or reasonable paid time off.... I receive none of those....When people asked before they started receiving no hours or very little to keep them afloat and then they quit...shady business practice I know.. we don’t have a union people have tried to join one and again were threaten with no hours so they shut up about it.

I don't think there is any legal requirement on employers to pay extra for Sunday work. Goodwill gesture and custom more like.

wonski wrote: »
    I don't think there is any legal requirement on employers to pay extra for Sunday work. Goodwill gesture and custom more like.

According to citizen information there is.

According to citizen information there is.

It is very vague. I mean very, very vague.
    I got 30% extra in retail, but there is no clear guidance so check your contract.

If there is something written in the law I hope it is way more precise.

It is very vague. I mean very, very vague.
    I got 30% extra in retail, but there is no clear guidance so check your contract.

If there is something written in the law I hope it is way more precise.

I know I should, but I don’t have a copy of my contract we only got one to sign and give it back once signed in a few pages.

I know I should, but I don’t have a copy of my contract we only got one to sign and give it back once signed in a few pages.

Definitely check your contract, employee handbook and payslips.

I stand corrected that it is not a goodwill gesture, but by law you should be compensated. But as previous poster mentioned this premium might have been added to your basic pay at the start.

You need to check this before going any further.

• Advertisement

Definitely check your contract, employee handbook and payslips.

I stand corrected that it is not a goodwill gesture, but by law you should be compensated. But as previous poster mentioned this premium might have been added to your basic pay at the start.

You need to check this before going any further.

Am on minimum wage so it definitely isn’t added in anywhere 🀔 I just checked my payslips just to make sure. Shall I ask my employers, just I don’t want any repercussions like what has been done to previous employees. If not who shall I contact about this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Am on minimum wage so it definitely isn’t added in anywhere 🀔 I just checked my payslips just to make sure. Shall I ask my employers, just I don’t want any repercussions like what has been done to previous employees. If not who shall I contact about this problem.

Your contract is key here. You need to get a copy of that to make sure it makes no mention of consolidated rates for basic pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have you always worked Sundays in this job or is working sundays a recent thing ?
    If Sunday work was always a part of this job then the employer has probably factored extra wages in to compensate as per one of the three options required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

I believe the statutory requirement only applies if Sunday working is not addressed in your contract, which may well mean that if your contract says you may have to work Sundays and you aren't entitled to extra pay, then you get nothing...

_Brian wrote: »
    Have you always worked Sundays in this job or is working sundays a recent thing ?
    If Sunday work was always a part of this job then the employer has probably factored extra wages in to compensate as per one of the three options required.

On minimum wage so defo isn’t added in anywhere.

dennyk wrote: »
    I believe the statutory requirement only applies if Sunday working is not addressed in your contract, which may well mean that if your contract says you may have to work Sundays and you aren't entitled to extra pay, then you get nothing...

There’s nothing about Sunday pay in my contract, just my rate of pay? So I should still be intitled to one of the 3 requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

There’s nothing about Sunday pay in my contract, just my rate of pay? So I should still be intitled to one of the 3 requirements.

Does your contract say you work Sundays or that your working week is Monday to Sunday? As it is Hospital, I doubt your working week would be Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This.
    I worked in hospitality and retail for many years. Nothing extra for Sundays, bank holidays, or even working days/nights like St. Stephen's Day & New Years Eve.

Generally only those on old contracts in bigger companies like Tesco & Debenhams etc. get those benefits. My cousin works in River Island & I know she gets nothing extra for Sundays.
    Common practice these days unfortunately & I don't think you'll get very far making demands, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This.
    I worked in hospitality and retail for many years. Nothing extra for Sundays, bank holidays, or even working days/nights like St. Stephen's Day & New Years Eve.

Generally only those on old contracts in bigger companies like Tesco & Debenhams etc. get those benefits. My cousin works in River Island & I know she gets nothing extra for Sundays.
    Common practice these days unfortunately & I don't think you'll get very far making demands, OP.

And business' wonder why staff are stealing.

Retail keep pushing KPI's on staff, its becoming more prevalent for part timers to get quizzed on KPI's in some retailers. These are management level stuff not someone working 10 hours a week to know. The pressure some of these staff can feel is beyond a joke for 9.50 a hour.

In some cases they'd have a better live on the dole

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This.

I was proved wrong so there is a legal obligation to compensate. I was always paid extra so never had to enquire meself.

It is up to employees themselves to bring it up sometimes unfortunately.

I know it is difficult for op as he is not a permanent full time worker and those can't fight for their right same way I and other more fortunate can.

I suggest checking with cab and see what they say.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Does your contract say you work Sundays or that your working week is Monday to Sunday? As it is Hospital, I doubt your working week would be Monday to Friday.

No it’s monday to Sunday work

I was proved wrong so there is a legal obligation to compensate. I was always paid extra so never had to enquire meself.

It is up to employees themselves to bring it up sometimes unfortunately.

I know it is difficult for op as he is not a permanent full time worker and those can't fight for their right same way I and other more fortunate can.

I suggest checking with cab and see what they say.

What does “cap” stand for? I will look into them.

What does “cap” stand for? I will look into them.

Sorry, cab- Citizen Advice Beareu.

Free advice regarding various issues, employment law being one of those.

Advertisement