Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30km round trip - 50cc scooter enough?

Options
  • 06-08-2018 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of moving house, looking at getting a moped/scooter for the commute to work. Due to the nature of the job I can't arrive sweaty so the bicycle is out, and I have no interest in sitting in the car every day.

It will be 15km each way through the city, so would a 50cc bike be sufficient, or is it worth paying more for a 125? It will only be used for the commute to and from work, I don't need it for anything else. I've never owned a scooter so fairly new to them, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I would say 125 is better as it gets you up to speed faster etc. Never driven anything less then a 600cc but if your nipping in and out of heavy traffic going no more then 50 kph 125 would be fine....

Never owned a scooter before, I assume you got a licenses or plan on it IBT etc

If you have more than 50cc you need a bike licence. 50 cc is OK with the car one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have more than 50cc you need a bike licence. 50 cc is OK with the car one

50cc is one of the criteria for a moped the main one is speed and that's restricted to 45km/h. For heavy city traffic it'll be fine for any travel outside a 50km/h area it'd be dodgy. You also have to have had a B licence since before Oct 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Del2005 wrote: »
    50cc is one of the criteria for a moped the main one is speed and that's restricted to 45km/h. For heavy city traffic it'll be fine for any travel outside a 50km/h area it'd be dodgy. You also have to have had a B licence since before Oct 2006.

Thanks for the replies, I've been trying to figure out the licence situation. That might have an influence if it will keep the cost down initially, and as I won't be on any road with a limit over 50kph I don't necessarily need to go any faster.

Appreciate the replies, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

https://eurocycles.com/haibike-sduro-hardseven-1-0-electric-bike/

60km range apparently,even if it's 40-50 in real terms your good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

For a 15km trip each way a 50 cc scooter will be fine. You will need to look after it well though to keep her going.
    If you have the AM section ticked on your licence then all you need to do is insure it, if not then you will need to do IBT. If you have to do an IBT then you may as well go for a 125.

https://eurocycles.com/haibike-sduro-hardseven-1-0-electric-bike/

60km range apparently,even if it's 40-50 in real terms your good

Is that not too powerful for legal road use?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

TheShow wrote: »
    For a 15km trip each way a 50 cc scooter will be fine. You will need to look after it well though to keep her going.
    If you have the AM section ticked on your licence then all you need to do is insure it, if not then you will need to do IBT. If you have to do an IBT then you may as well go for a 125.

Good advice.

50cc should be enough. I find I meet the same 50cc at the next set of lights scooter, but the larger scooters offer you now room to get away from buses, idiots etc and give you space

Is that not too powerful for legal road use?

No idea, quick call would let ya know

No idea, quick call would let ya know

Why should I have to call when the law says 250 watts and they have the wrong units on their website. From a proper website it is 250w so is legal.

• Advertisement

Why should I have to call when the law says 250 watts and they have the wrong units on their website. From a proper website it is 250w so is legal.

Jayzuz,you know the answer,well done. I'm just giving the op a option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Go 125 IMO.

50cc moped's are usually pretty cheaply made, very light components like suspension, brakes, bearings etc.. They really don't last too long. Of course there are exceptions, but the majority fall to bits pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Pedelec will only assist up to 25km/h. After that its all human grunt. If the OP is happy to do it at a casual pace no sweat needed, if he wants to get there quickly though it'd still be an energetic affair (pedalling a heavy bike to 30kph is work enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I have just traded in my 50 cc moped for a Ninja 400. Best decision I ever made.

Mopeds IMO are a nightmare, small, loud, dangerous, SLOOOOOOWWWWWWW, unreliable etc.

My commute was just shy of 28km round trip daily and is infinitely more enjoyable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Every morning on my way to work I see a lad drive the other way to work on his 50cc scooter. He's going from Cork City to Bandon which is 30km each way.

It's absolutely doable, but it must take him in hour or so for the drive and be absolutely awful in bad weather.

I used to do Blessington to the City Centre on a 50cc. took an hour each way, but when compared to car or bus journey time, it was a winner hands down. It was horrible in the rain though.
    City traffic was fine, but when out on the open road it was a bit scary at times, especially when a truck or bus passed you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Burgman 400 scooter. 150kph top speed
    Savage scooter,users feck all juice and loads of storage under the seat.
    Comfy and protection from the elements.457722.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Burgman 400 scooter. 150kph top speed
    Savage scooter,users feck all juice and loads of storage under the seat.
    Comfy and protection from the elements.457722.jpg

When I look at something like that, I think to myself "would I not just buy another car??"

The idea behind the scooter was that it won't take up much space outside the house, I wouldn't get stuck in traffic as much, and would literally only use it to get from the house to work and back (route is Harold's Cross to the Airport). I'm not sure if I have the interest to do the IBT etc, I'm purely trying to figure out the easiest and most efficient way to get to work every day that's a bit easier than cycling, but won't have me sitting in a car every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Lustrum wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I have the interest to do the IBT etc, I'm purely trying to figure out the easiest and most efficient way to get to work every day
    You might think about getting their safely also, the IBT would be worth doing to help teach you about road positioning, observation and the basics about safe riding.

A quick test and you’d have way better options for 125 or the 400 scooters.

• Advertisement

Look at the back of your driving licence. If there is a date in the AM section, Column 10 & 11, then you have a moped licence and don't require IBT for a 50cc bike.

If there is a line through then you do need to do IBT.

If you need to do IBT, don't buy a bike until you complete the IBT. You can do the course on an instructors bike, then decide what you want after competing the course. also, might aswell do the full bike course now too instead of piecemeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Lustrum wrote: »
    When I look at something like that, I think to myself "would I not just buy another car??"

The idea behind the scooter was that it won't take up much space outside the house, I wouldn't get stuck in traffic as much, and would literally only use it to get from the house to work and back (route is Harold's Cross to the Airport). I'm not sure if I have the interest to do the IBT etc, I'm purely trying to figure out the easiest and most efficient way to get to work every day that's a bit easier than cycling, but won't have me sitting in a car every day!

Your balls and heart will be broken on a 50cc doing a 30k commute every day.
    It's not sunny and dry in Ireland every day either.
    Food for thought there.

I ride an S1000rr and the Burgman is more fun and craic for nipping up and down the M50 and across Dublin City.
    More luggage space under the seat too.
    Helmet,gloves,backpack and textile leggings all fit under the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

For the AM requirement the 50cc needs to be restricted to 45km/hr which is very slow in any sort of free flowing traffic

Simona1986 wrote: »
    For the AM requirement the 50cc needs to be restricted to 45km/hr which is very slow in any sort of free flowing traffic

not in the city, it's just about right i'd say from experience.
    Any second hand bike you pick up will have the restrictor drilled out anyway.

Then you can't ride it with a B or M licence.

I must be in a minority, my 50cc still has the restricter kit fitted and is untampered. I’m debating getting it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

A 50cc will do the job just fine until you get bored :)
    I do a 20km round trip commute in Dublin on a 650 for anything longer I have a 1400.......

Do the IBT and if she lets you go the whole hog then go for it.

A 50cc is great if you're a millennial on a diet of kale smoothies and peanut powerballs. If you're a fish & chips 200 pounder type of guy at over 6ft then think again.

I think most of us looking at the traffic situation started looking at the scooter option. I'm glad I discarded the option early on in my decision process which I did at 39 years of age. In Dublin you can't accelerate away from trouble on a 50cc.

Drop a gear and disappear

Each to their own

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

That trip will become grinding after a while on a 50cc. I assume you don't have any motorway or dual carriageway on the trip but a 10 mile commute would be much more comfortable on a larger bike or moped.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Lads I have a Yamaha Aerox paid 500 pounds in Belfast 50 vrt I have bikes ranging from 125 to 1150 I use them all but for the last year and a half have used the Aerox daily from Leixlip to Dublin 1,
    I do treat the poor thing like **** just gave it its first service, it does 90km on the clock i think should be 80km on the sat nav
    Its perfect 18km each way 30min hail rain and a bit of snow and never let me down

• Advertisement

650gs wrote: »
    Lads I have a Yamaha Aerox paid 500 pounds in Belfast 50 vrt I have bikes ranging from 125 to 1150 I use them all but for the last year and a half have used the Aerox daily from Leixlip to Dublin 1,
    I do treat the poor thing like **** just gave it its first service, it does 90km on the clock i think should be 80km on the sat nav
    Its perfect 18km each way 30min hail rain and a bit of snow and never let me down

I’ve MBK Nitro Jaguar, same bike essentially.

What service parts did you get? Im a newbie to the hands on stuff with bikes

Advertisement