Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30km round trip - 50cc scooter enough?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

It depends how far you want to go air filter oil and plug thats it once it starts to slow a little rollers and belt but if you keep it slandered these little strokers just keep going Oh be sure to take the washer/tube from the exhaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

650gs wrote: »
    It depends how far you want to go air filter oil and plug thats it once it starts to slow a little rollers and belt but if you keep it slandered these little strokers just keep going Oh be sure to take the washer/tube from the exhaust

I was told mine was de-restricted as there’s a piece of the exhaust cut off along the down pipe, is that incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lads I have a Yamaha Aerox paid 500 pounds in Belfast 50 vrt I have bikes ranging from 125 to 1150 I use them all but for the last year and a half have used the Aerox daily from Leixlip to Dublin 1,
    I do treat the poor thing like **** just gave it its first service, it does 90km on the clock i think should be 80km on the sat nav
    Its perfect 18km each way 30min hail rain and a bit of snow and never let me down

Don't think anyone says it can't be done.

But there's very little enjoyable about it.

I used to despise a journey half that distance into the city in any sort of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Its not pleasant in bad weather, thats for sure, but neither is any bike.
    OP is looking for the most cost efficient way to commute.
    If he can ride a 50cc without any requirement for an IBT, then this is the obvious route. If an IBT is required, then a 125 or 250 would be more beneficial for the extra power that it offers, not that it will make a huge difference in Dublin traffic/traffic lights.

TheShow wrote: »
    Its not pleasant in bad weather, thats for sure, but neither is any bike.
    OP is looking for the most cost efficient way to commute.
    If he can ride a 50cc without any requirement for an IBT, then this is the obvious route. If an IBT is required, then a 125 or 250 would be more beneficial for the extra power that it offers, not that it will make a huge difference in Dublin traffic/traffic lights.

Beg to differ my bike givess great protection has heated grips and heated jacket and I can avoid traffic jams and listen to podcasts as i go.

I'd take it in any weather over sitting in my poxy car looking at the car in front.

Any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

The weather is no big deal in fact Id rather use the moped in bad weather makes me take my time and as i said it does 90km by the clock how fast do i need to go

The weather is no big deal in fact Id rather use the moped in bad weather makes me take my time and as i said it does 90km by the clock how fast do i need to go

Faster than that on a motorway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That ain't a moped so the OP would need to do IBT. Once it goes over 45km/h the OP will need to do IBT and then there's no point in riding a moped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Del2005 wrote: »
    That ain't a moped so the OP would need to do IBT. Once it goes over 45km/h the OP will need to do IBT and then there's no point in riding a moped.

A moped is fine for travelling around the city, further out though a bigger bike is probably better. I use my own for short trips and if I need dual carriageway’s I take the DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Had a few peds years ago and everyone one of them went to sh*t, even with regular servicing etc. Might be a different story if you can maintain it yourself.

The lack of speed / power was the biggest issue for me - got myself into plenty of sticky situations where I really could have used the power to get away. You could drive like a nun if you want but I really think the lack of power is a serious disadvantage from a fun, but mainly from a safety perspective.

Also keep in mind, that on a ped in Dublin, you are barely one step up from a cyclist (I'm a cyclist BTW) and so you will not get treated as well as you would on a proper motorbike. This might mean people trying to run you off the road, verbal abuse etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement