Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Riverside built on a dump?

Options
  • 05-08-2018 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if Riverside really was built on a dump as it seems that lots of people say that & that it’s sinking? Is there any truth in that or is it a rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭basillarkin

the old city dump was in lisbaun i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the old city dump was in lisbaun i think.

It was just up the road at Riverside, based on this: https://connachttribune.ie/former-city-dumps-will-not-opened-mining-344/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ballyroan

it’s pretty confusing as different people say it was under Riverside, others say Mullán Mór & others Liosbaun Industrial Estate. I googled it and can’t tell from anything I’ve found there (I can’t post links as I’m a new user). I’d be interested in buying there as it’d suit me..but wondering about it sinking/cracks in walls.. I’d be under the impression that Mullán Mór has a lot of cracks..

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck .... I guess you could ask a structural engineer to confirm if it's a duck, or you could just trust your own instincts.

I guess the real question is how much cheaper the place is than a similar one elsewhere, and if the saving is worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I once knew a man who owned a house in Riverside estate. He said that half of the estate was built on the site of the old dump.

• Advertisement

I’m very keen on the location. And there aren’t many other locations close by that would suit that have houses for sale. It seems quiet in there & an older community. I got an engineer to look at a house there in the past and he said that part wasn’t built on the dump (but I got the impression that maybe some parts were). I’d imagine he’d charge me again if I went back now ages after to ask about the area as a whole..I guess I should have asked that at the time but I was very focused on a particular house at the time.

I once knew a man who owned a house in Riverside estate. He said that half of the estate was built on the site of the old dump.
    - yes this is what I’m thinking! I wonder which half! Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aidanhw

I live in Mullan Mor and the lower parts nearer to Bothar na Dtreabh are definitely sinking. There's a lot of issues with the paving and exterior walls subsiding. Haven't noticed anything in particular wrt the apartemts themselves but it's difficult to tell between poor build quality and subsiding. Wouldn't buy here myself now but the landlord got it for a steal in 2012 so was probably worth his risk.

The passage of years (many) dulls memories but am willing to bet whatever I have left that this is the old entrance to the dump:
    h t t p s :// w w w .google.co.uk/maps/@53.2876847,-9.0272524,3a,90y,324.56h,88.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW6AvDOX3pumYx6ELdeZOcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(New user - can't post links so remove spaces)

Up the lane and bear right for the dump, so Riverside escapes (just) but Mullán Mór is right on top of it.

Here's the link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2876847,-9.0272524,3a,90y,324.56h,88.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW6AvDOX3pumYx6ELdeZOcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That would make sense. I've occasionally wondered why that entrance was there, never been brave enough to walk up it to see.

• Advertisement

According to Google maps it now only leads to Glenanail Drive, but like I said, before it branched right to the dump and left to fields, pre Riverside.

The more I look at that image, the more I'm certain. The gate posts were always noticeable but some of the large boulders they used to block the entrance when the dump closed are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Well considering it was built in Galway.

HEYO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I can remember it ,land wasn't allowed to be built on because it wasn't suitable as houses would sink...

Along came the boom and Mulan mor was born.

Used to be signs up stating it was dangerous ,stay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

I live in Mullan Mor aswell. The actual estate and area is really nice. Quiet and a few families. I've often wondered if there any potential negative health effects to living on an old land fill. Read the odd horror story of carcinogenic fumes and the like. Anyone with any knowledge in this area have an opinion?

Advertisement