Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this pc setup ok in 2018?

Options
  • 06-08-2018 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey i was wondering if the pc i was buying off ebay will run newer games ok its i7 2600 16gbs ram 2tb 480 ssd
    And a gtx 6gb 1060 it comes build for €650
    Am i being scammed? I dont know anything about pcs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Shipping might be very costly,, Post a link so we can have a look.

That CPU is a very old one, its Gen 2 i7, and Intel are up to Gen 8 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

What is your budget? Is the 650€ max? That chip did launch in 2011, not the best one now in that price point.
    You could find better options, usually the ebay/other build pc will have a flaw or two, like cheap psu or case worth 1€.
    Could You stretch out money a little bit? For something like this?
    AMD
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£131.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£18.61 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£48.72 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£133.19 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£67.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card (£224.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£60.62 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £766.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-06 10:21 BST+0100

Intel
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (£159.48 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£18.61 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£52.90 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£133.19 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£67.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card (£224.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£60.62 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £798.52
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-06 10:22 BST+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tim o connor

satguy wrote: »
    Shipping might be very costly,, Post a link so we can have a look.

That CPU is a very old one, its Gen 2 i7, and Intel are up to Gen 8 today.

The shipping is only €18

I dont really have a budget just wanted to get rid of my consoles and buy a pc thanks for the links i was just gonna buy something off ebay as i dont need the absolute best very excited to get into pc gaming!

I dont really have a budget just wanted to get rid of my consoles and buy a pc thanks for the links i was just gonna buy something off ebay as i dont need the absolute best very excited to get into pc gaming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I would say it's just worth getting a new build for the same price. Will serve you better in the long run plus you'll be under warranty.

If budget isnt an issue go for something I posted, could be changed a little bit but compared to ebay one You will get new parts and option to upgrade in future.
    If You are afraid of building it yourself, I presume thats why You want to get already build one on ebay, probably you could find one of boards member to give you a hand.

Yeah i wasnt going to build one because i dont have a clue where to start i was looking on cyberpower pc and they seems to have great deals so il stick to something similar to what you showed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PC isn't a scam and would play pretty much all the latest games at 1080p high/ultra @ 60fps....but the CPU is very old, still quite good but old and not overly up-gradable.

Considering it's a 6GB 1060, 16GB ram and a 480GB SSD, it's not a bad price at all if it's being sold by a PC sales firm rather than a private sale.

However, I would agree that you're way better off getting a more modern-based PC, even if the performance in games is slightly lower at that price point, it's well worth it in the longer term - more upgradability, proper full warranty, newer tech, etc.

Its not about is it a scam or not, more like price to performance factor. Old cpu on old socket with Ddr3, in case of upgrade he would need to replace cpu+mobo+ram. No point going there if new sockets are in the same price.
    You can find ryzen as well, but be sure to ask for a good, branded PSU, they tend to put cheap rubbish ones.
    Ebay Ryzen
    One more thing, go for 1060 6gb not the 1060 3gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Yeah i wasnt going to build one because i dont have a clue where to start i was looking on cyberpower pc and they seems to have great deals so il stick to something similar to what you showed me

I built my pc for the most part based of a reddit recommendation. Came together fairly easily. Took me a few hours but its my baby.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Its not about is it a scam or not, more like price to performance factor. Old cpu on old socket with Ddr3, in case of upgrade he would need to replace cpu+mobo+ram. No point going there if new sockets are in the same price.
    You can find ryzen as well, but be sure to ask for a good, branded PSU, they tend to put cheap rubbish ones.
    Ebay Ryzen
    One more thing, go for 1060 6gb not the 1060 3gb.

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I said in my post! The guy asked if it was a scam in his OP.

My point was that you won't get better performance in a pre-built for anywhere near the same money (the PC you linked to is more expensive and doesn't have a GPU).

So you can't say 'when it's the same price', because it's not.

It's a trade off - a brand new machine is newer, more 'future-proof', less likely to fail in time due to age, etc.

But that is a lot of power for a €650 pre-built PC that presumably has a warranty as it's from a tech shop.

The 2600 is old but it is still quite good (despite only supporting 1333mhz ram by default), longevity is not bad due to games only now starting to come around to extra cores/threads.

Depends on the chipset/board as well, unless it's a very early S1155 chipset it could support 3rd gen like i7-3770 which is dirt cheap now and also still a great gaming CPU/supports 1600mhz ddr3.

Failing that, if you had to replace the 2600+board/ram in two or three years, no big deal at that stage.

Not saying he should get it, but it's not as simple as saying definitely don't get it as it is a lot of PC for €650 considering a) the graphics b) the 480GB SSD and c) coming from a shop with warranty.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292646786403 i was thinking about choosing this instead i think it has a newer cpu not too sure

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292646786403 i was thinking about choosing this instead i think it has a newer cpu not too sure

No info what I5 it s,no info about mobo or psu and 3gb 1060. I would say no no to that.
    Here you can find new i5 8400, which is 8th gen not 4th gen like the one you did post. Just add 1060 to it and its gonna be great machine for gaming.

Fair point TerrorFirmer, I would totally agree if we would talk about "low" budget pc, if that is not the problem, buying new will be better. The prebuild ones arent bad, dont take me wrong just going into old socket with small difference in price when you gain so much more performance its pointless in my opinion. Yeah the i7 2600 cost around 90€ but still memory and mobo gonna be priced at the same level.
    In bf1 the difference between i7 2600 and i5 8400 with 1060 6gb can go up to 20+ fps, I think thats worth the added extra cost of new machine.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    No info what I5 it s,no info about mobo or psu and 3gb 1060. I would say no no to that.

It says i5-4th gen, so compared to the original machine...

i5-4440 (assuming it's lower end) v i7-2600: Similar, but supports faster ram and is upgradable down to the line to the still excellent i7-4770/4790, though in some CPU heavy games the i7-2600 is still better.

GTX1060 3GB v 6GB: Similar, but the 6GB model is about 15% faster, and at ultra settings 1080p can be up to 50% faster in some games.

480GB SSD v 1TB HDD: Night and day, first option is light years better and more valuable.

That said, all in all, €550 for a warranty machine with 4th gen i5, 8GB ram and GTX1060 3GB is good value.

Advertisement