Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB Skype interview while on holiday

Options
  • 06-08-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Any tips?
    Anyone done one? I’ll only have an iPhone with me so few concerns about picture quality etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Can you bring a tablet for better quality picture.
    I had one before abroad and asked reception if I could use a back room in their office as there was better reception.

Ring someone to practice day before to get right picture angle.

Place device on a surface to keep it steady , don't hold it.
    Have an appropriate skype username and profile pic.
    You can have your notes on front of you so write a few key points that you want to get across.
    Bring a shirt for interview .
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Some tips from someone who has interviewed candidates using skype. (Not ETB).

1. Make sure you have a good connection if possible, had calls drop out etc... Had to wait for the device to connect. If you get the opertunity to test beforehand with their IT dept etc... make sure to take it.

2. Make sure your head / face is framed in the center of the video. i.e. so you can see your whole face. I had interviewed people before at all sorts of strange angles. Agree with the point on a stand, propping the phone against something. Also make sure you are lit, i.e not in a shadow in a dark room. Try to have your background not distracting.

3. Agree with the point on the shirt etc...

4. Agree with the username. If your skype name is "I can skull 40 pints" perhaps time to get a new one. :)

5. If you dont hear a question, be sure to ask them to repeat it.

6. Also have a glass of water to hand as your mouth might dry with stress.

7. Agree with the point on the notes, try to keep them to one page so you are not obviously flicking through a large notebook, just some key prompts on a page or two.

Best of luck. We would have paneled people based on a skype interview so you should not be at a disadvantage if you follow the points above.

EDIT:- Just thinking should you have the phone in landscape mode. The TV / screen the otherside will be landscape, also you want to make sure that you have the best view of the panel. Probably best to plan to have it landscape, with as plain a background as possible. I suppose the issue and it is outside your control is if you are using a hotels broadband and people start watching netflix etc... it will pull down your connection. You should look at renting a space in a business centre etc... it will look more professional and the connection should be better. If you are stuck with the iphone, would it be worth using the earphones. You dont want to come across shouting into the phone. Now that I think of it the few we done were all using PC's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

How did the interview go.

Any tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

It was a disaster. The only place that had reliable WiFi was a hotel. They kindly let me use a dinning room with no guests but then the chefs came in for their break and were shouting loudly to each other. Room had terrible boomy acoustics. Had to halt interview and ask them to be quiet (in Spanish), I struggled to hear the panel. It was 38 degrees, my face was melting, my make up actually melted. Awful. I’d never do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

At least you got to show off your classroom management skills:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    At least you got to show off your classroom management skills:)

Haha, true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hope you got sorted with work since.

Advertisement