Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling house with boundaries problems

Options
  • 06-08-2018 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi we are selling our house, we have a buyer and its with the solicitors. Since we have gone sale agreed our solicitor has informed us that the boundaries on the deeds are different to the boundaries on the land register. We have lived here for 12 years and the boundarie is the same now as when we bought it, We have been told we have to get a signed agreement with out neighbours to get a certificate of cetification where we have to pay for their propertys to be valued, Do we have to go through all this or can we not claim squatters rights as over 12 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    You have a solicitor to advise you. We cannot give legal advice here
    Subject to that will leave open for general discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

No advice but as a guide the physical land boundaries on this cottage that I bought several years ago did not match the land registry maps.

It involved 4 farmers who all signed certificates of regularisation, (I think they were called), the Vendor only had to pay small fees through his solicitor and for an Engineer to correct the errors.

Pretty straight forward, but did delay my purchase by a couple of weeks.

Very common I am told.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had a similar situation (2 separate problems) which has finally been sorted. After living in the house for 30 years of its 45 year life, as approx fifth owners, the boundary had never been sorted previously or raised as an issue. We thought the same as the OP that squatters rights would be the way to go. We were advised that this should be the absolutely last option, and indeed it was all sorted without too much problem.

All the agencies, land registry, planning etc seem to now be making very thorough efforts to sort out the considerable number of issues and ambiguities that have been ignored for generations, all to the good in the end but a bit frustrating for people who have suddenly found they innocently purchased a problem and now have to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

This is a very common issue. It is best to deal with these properly, claiming squatters rights can be equally expensive and it may be a red flag if you ever sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlodlin

we got the two parties that own the other parts to sign to transfer the land to us now we have to send a letter to their banks and pay to get their properties valued to see if the land ajustments affects their mortgage

• Advertisement
Advertisement