Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOME NETWORK

• 06-08-2018 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

I have one comp that runs Vista and is connected to router/modem via cable and another machine that runs win10 and connects via wi-fi. Is it possible for me to network these comps?.

All/any help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Unless the router is deliberately set to separate the wifi from the wired connections, then the PCs are effectively 'networked' ...... you just need to set up whatever you wish between the two.

Also ensure if using SAMBA that you can use the same SMB version on both machines.

If you have problems check the router setting is not excluding the two from connecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Unless the router is deliberately set to separate the wifi from the wired connections, then the PCs are effectively 'networked' ...... you just need to set up whatever you wish between the two.

Also ensure if using SAMBA that you can use the same SMB version on both machines.

If you have problems check the router setting is not excluding the two from connecting.

Thanks for this, now 2 more questions: what is SAMBA and how do I check the router is not set up to exclude?.

All I have to do now is find out how to set them up as I've never had anything to do with networking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just turn on file and printer sharing for each PC, Google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for this, now 2 more questions: what is SAMBA and how do I check the router is not set up to exclude?.

All I have to do now is find out how to set them up as I've never had anything to do with networking.

Settings are specific to each manufacturer & model number of router.
    Check your routers manual.

The router would be unlikely to exclude SAMBA but might be set to keep the wired and wireless connections separated from each other. That is what you need to check.

SAMBA/SMB/CIFS refer to a protocol used to connect and transfer data between devices on the network.
    https://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html

Just turn on file and printer sharing for each PC, Google it

In the past I've always found that I can get more reliable, straightforward and easy to understand answers to problems here on boards.

Of course every now and again someone will suggest that I go away and stop bothering them, which is what I read into your post.

• Advertisement

Settings are specific to each manufacturer & model number of router.
    Check your routers manual.

The router would be unlikely to exclude SAMBA but might be set to keep the wired and wireless connections separated from each other. That is what you need to check.

SAMBA/SMB/CIFS refer to a protocol used to connect and transfer data between devices on the network.
    https://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html

Many thanks johnboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

In the past I've always found that I can get more reliable, straightforward and easy to understand answers to problems here on boards.

Of course every now and again someone will suggest that I go away and stop bothering them, which is what I read into your post.

Not at all. I'm not a Windows user so cannot assist but a simple Google with the exact wording you need would give you more accurate answer that what you'd get here.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Turn+on+file+and+printer+sharing+windows+vista
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Turn+on+file+and+printer+sharing+windows+10

Advertisement