Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age child can go to shops alone?

Options
  • 06-08-2018 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

What age do you think is appropriate for a child to go & buy a messsge in shops, like a loaf of bread or whatever ( if you give them exact money & instructions etc).
    I know there’s a lot of factors to be considered but if the child is mature, responsible, knows mobile number etc. the shop is 5 minute walk away with no road to cross but the path is on a busy road - child walks this route to school every day & would never run out . Do you think 7.5 years is too young?? I’m getting disapproval from people because someone might kidnap them
    Or whatever but I feel my child is genuinely able & knows the rules regarding safety. I want my child to be able to pop to shops & have a little extra responsibility and my child is eager to do this...... thoughts?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The likelihood of them being kidnapped is fairly close to zero! It all depends on the child. I have a very cautious 10 year old, and I have a 4 year old who is so independent and capable we have to rein her in a bit and remind her she is only 4! I was speaking to a parent at the weekend who lives in a rural village and she was saying her almost 13 year old had been asking could she walk home from training on her own. The mother was reluctant. The child is going in to first year in a few weeks!

You know your own child. Another person's child might not be able to be trusted at 7.5. If you're happy with it, then it's nobody else's business.

"In our day"... yadda yadda....!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would say 10 but I see a lot of younger kids going there no problem.
    I think I would be worried about me teenagers hassling them more than an adult predator.
    Also even though my 7 1/2 year old is also quite mature , I think if someone told him to come into their house to see a new Star Wars movie / free lego or Ed sheeran he could still well go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think it's a great idea! OP is your child used to picking up an item and taking it to the til under your supervision and are they happy to wait their turn in a queue? If you've observed them doing this successfully then I don't see the problem. Also, I wouldn't sweat too much over exact change as long as your not giving them too large a note. It is great opportunity to learn about denominations of money . A little watch and limited time to complete the task will decrease the chances of dawdling or getting side tracked. I'd they can't tell the time yet just show them they've got til the big hand reaches whichever number is appropriate and maybe try and time their return for the start of a favourite TV show or WiFi switching on time or something like that. And reward them for their little contribution to the day to day running of the house.

Honestly, nipping to the shops was a perfectly normal and expected chore for all kids until very, very recently. No one was sent out before they were able and I remember feeling quite grown up and really proud of my self the first time I headed of with my little purse and shopping bag. Also began to learn about coin denominations and telling the time.

Giving a 7.5 year old a little bit of responsibility and independence can only be a positive thing IMO provided they are properly prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’d often park up at a shop and let my 6.5 year old nip in for something, if he was getting a treat or something. We don’t live somewhere that he could be walking to the shop, but I feel it’s a good way for him to start learning some basic life skills!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on many factors but if it is not far and roads are not dangerous 7 1/2 is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't think theres a magic right age, You know your child OP. My parents would have let me off younger then that but kept my brother on a shorter leash as he just had no common sense.

Advertisement