Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamping light.

Options
  • 06-08-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

As above looking for suggestions on a light for lamping. I hate shooting foxys but am over run at the moment with 6 visible last night on 30 acres.

Looking for either a gun mounted lamp or handheld.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

if your going solo i'd get a night master or evo t67 torch what caliber are you shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

https://opticfire.co.uk/collections/opticfire-torches

I have these as per the above link -TX67 and TX67 mini both in red.
    I bought the full sized one in kit form, batteries, scope mount, rat tail, and battery charger, the mini was bought with batteries and used for scanning.
    I use it for everything from rabbits, to foxs etc. Good run time. If I was to buy again I'd look at the bigger batteries but the standard are good enough.

If you double teaming and don't want to fix a light to the gun there are plenty of handheld led lamps with either red led pills or filters that will give you 3 + hours of continuous work for €60-70.
    There are even multiple light lamps running green, red and white but cheaper ones require you to cycle through the various bulbs by clicking the switch to obtain the desired colour.

To be honest IMO the days of paying mega money for lamps are gone unless you fancy your self as Gunny Sgt Bob Swagger and want to reach out hundreds of metres.
    Lamp shy foxs are educated foxs so the trick is don't let them graduate from night classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

https://opticfire.co.uk/collections/opticfire-torches

I have these as per the above link -TX67 and TX67 mini both in red.
    I bought the full sized one in kit form, batteries, scope mount, rat tail, and battery charger, the mini was bought with batteries and used for scanning.
    I use it for everything from rabbits, to foxs etc. Good run time. If I was to buy again I'd look at the bigger batteries but the standard are good enough.

If you double teaming and don't want to fix a light to the gun there are plenty of handheld led lamps with either red led pills or filters that will give you 3 + hours of continuous work for €60-70.
    There are even multiple light lamps running green, red and white but cheaper ones require you to cycle through the various bulbs by clicking the switch to obtain the desired colour.

To be honest IMO the days of paying mega money for lamps are gone unless you fancy your self as Gunny Sgt Bob Swagger and want to reach out hundreds of metres.
    Lamp shy foxs are educated foxs so the trick is don't let them graduate from night classes.

Any particular reason you didn't use the mini to mount on the scope. You would think it would be smaller and easier to manage.

I use the bigger torch to give me the best sight picture. Because it has the double battery I feel the light is better / stronger and clearer. I keep the light focused tight and well out beyound a100 yards it throws about a meter square of very intense light.
    The other light is handy in your pocket or on a lanyard around your neck and under your shoulder. Perfect for sweeping the location and picking up eyes. Great set up for highseat use or stalking and spotting. Once I see the animal I'll set up for the shot and won't hit it with the main light until I'm ready to shoot. Same with calling, I'd rather try and bring the fox in as close as I can before the shot, so the smaller light is more versatile while hopefully not putting the animal off.

If I'm rabbiting I tend to use the small torch mounted with tight beam and use the larger torch with a wider beam. I don't need the distance of the bigger light and the .22 is better balanced.

With close foxs as in 20-100 yards how do they react to the intense beam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

With close foxs as in 20-100 yards how do they react to the intense beam.

I've been using a green led torch recently with good results. The foxs so far come straight for the call and run right up to you. Have to give a shout to get them to stop for a shot. Problem is they come too fast sometimes.

The light does not seem to be affecting them at all. Seems bother them less than the white light even though it's a very intense bright beam.

As with Ghost, had one of the last ones charge in on us and had to stop it with a shout before the shot. I don't keep the fox in the lamp all the time and even then I tend to only use the edge of the beam of light to track or find it. Once I'm ready for the shot I'll illuminate it hard, so to speak and hopefully get the shot.
    I know everybody is the same but I'll only shoot once I'm a 100% sure of my target. Lamped quite a few cats out on the prowl and even one owel, but luckly everything was clearly identified and lived to tell the tail.

The green seems not to effect the animals, something I saw on uTube said that deer don't see it, so I've got my self a green head lamp for those early morning walks into the wood for the up coming season. Used it s few times so far out at night and it gives enough light for you to walk about etc hopefully I won't trip again as frequently as I did previously and still be a bit more stealthy then switching on and off a white light.

Ghost. wrote: »
    I've been using a green led torch recently with good results. The foxs so far come straight for the call and run right up to you. Have to give a shout to get them to stop for a shot. Problem is they come too fast sometimes.

The light does not seem to be affecting them at all. Seems bother them less than the white light even though it's a very intense bright beam.

Would it be mostly cubs that you are calling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Would it be mostly cubs that you are calling in.

No, not just cubs. Seems to be working well on all fox. I don't know why. Maybe it's just that they have not seen the colour before or have difficulty seeing it.

Ghost. wrote: »
    No, not just cubs. Seems to be working well on all fox. I don't know why. Maybe it's just that they have not seen the colour before or have difficulty seeing it.

Very good. I must check that out.

• Advertisement

If I go for the Optitorch is it easy to change from one colour to the other.

For the Opricfire torches you can buy different coloured 'pils' LED or bulbs for us older chaps.

Although I haven't done so they are interchangable to allow for different colours. The dearer sets offer a selection of colours. No tools or so special gadgets required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

thanks for the help gents,

went with a tx-67 in the end up. for the price and the reviews it was well worth the punt.

went with a tx-67 in the end up. for the price and the reviews it was well worth the punt.

What kind of money was it and what do you get for it. You might let us know how you get on with it. I would be interested in getting one.

What kind of money was it and what do you get for it. You might let us know how you get on with it. I would be interested in getting one.

Worked out at 60 euro delivered. Didnt get batteries or charger as i have a heap of 18650's here. Got it with the green led

Worked out at 60 euro delivered. Didnt get batteries or charger as i have a heap of 18650's here. Got it with the green led

Seems like a good price. Let us know how you get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Back in the old days I knocked up a red filter for lamping purposes - worked very well on the shy ones

Any update on this.

Any chance of an update on this.

Any chance of an update on this.

Sorry only seen the messages now.

Great lamp have it mounted on a 10/22 . Does the job well enough. Got some high capacity vtc6 batteries for it so no prob with battery life.

Beam is strong. I usually lamp alone so it is perfect for that use.

• Advertisement

Sorry only seen the messages now.

Great lamp have it mounted on a 10/22 . Does the job well enough. Got some high capacity vtc6 batteries for it so no prob with battery life.

Beam is strong. I usually lamp alone so it is perfect for that use.

Which model did you get and what range has it. One or two batteries. Has it a battery extension. Which colour.

Is it too strong a light out to 150 yds for shooting foxs.

Got the x70. With a white led chip. It can take 1 or 2 batteries i bought the extension after but to be honest gets heavy and long. Also bought a pressure switch wich is handy.

You can focus the lens on it so it will easily do 300+ yards at its tightest but i bring it back a bit most id shoot at is 100 yards.

Well worth the money. Bear in mind the full kit is like 119 pound but i already had the batteries and charger from another set up so just bought the lamp itself. Then got the extension after.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Got the Uniqefire t67 with white pill from gearbest two years back for €27 No battery . Exact same as the first pic posted here just different name. Any of the on line China sites have then . Brilliant light. A bit more expensive now

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Got the Uniqefire t67 with white pill from gearbest two years back for €27 No battery . Exact same as the first pic posted here just different name. Any of the on line China sites have then . Brilliant light. A bit more expensive now

See a torch on Aliexpress for $30. It seems to be identical to the AG 38. That costs £85 sterling.

Yep. I've seen them under a few names uniquefire, ultrafire and others. Lad I shoot with has similar light he payed £112 for. when he turns the light bell back slightly to open the spot the light drops way out of the scope view. The uniquefire one I use is nice and tight when turned back so keeps the spot centre of view

See a torch on Aliexpress for $30. It seems to be identical to the AG 38. That costs £85 sterling.

I will purchase the one above. Does not come with a battery though. So a separate purchase necessary.

All from alliexpress

Very good. how good is the one on the left. As in how far can you pick up a fox . Didn't see it on their website. What model is it.

• Advertisement

What do ye use for clamping on the torch on to the scope. The one they advertise can come loose quiet easily. That is the clamp with the big screw on it.

Advertisement