Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting your axe

Options
  • 06-08-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

For those of you who use an axe for fire wood and bushcraft, do you ever get hasstle for carrying your axe?

How legal is it to have one for camping? From gardaI checkpoints while driving to your camping locations or walking along mountain trails?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

As with anything sharp if you have a good reason to have it your fine. If you are walking down main street going to buy milk, you probably dont need it.

Iv been stopped with guns in the car and never had a problem, once your not acting the mick its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its really down to attitude and why you were stopped. If you were doing something really stupid that is going to be hard work for a Garda to prove or act all smart and then the Garda finds you have an axe with without any reason then he's going to be human and take the easiest way to do you for something.

I bought a machete in the UK last year and paid cash from a second hand tool dealer it was the only time I've ever asked him for a receipt so I had some proof I'd just bought it and was bringing it home to Ireland. Otherwise how could I prove if I was stopped that I didn't always carry it around.

I also wrapped up the machete so it wasn't easily available if I got stopped. If it was in the glove box (a bit big for that) or door pocket then it would be an easy job for Garda or Police to make a case even if you did have an good reason for carrying it.

Just common sense really. I'd normally have a knife in the car but its in the boot in a sealed bag inside a bug out bag full of survival gear. On its own imo its a knife with no reason for me to carry it as part of a bug out bag and not readily available to use its a different deal (imo).

Same with the hammer and podger bar I carry. On their own they are weapons but I carry them along with a vast quantity (tooooooo many) of tools in a tool box in the boot and as such they are just tools.

Imagine being stopped with a knife, a hammer and a podger bar (heavy metal bar used for aligning screw holes) on your passenger seat.

Advertisement