Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Test coming up, few questions

• 06-08-2018 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Test coming up in 4 weeks, little nervous but not dreading it or anything. My first go, kind of looking at it as a bit of a free hit as such, only been driving 6 months properly. Did the 12 edt lessons, did more 1hr lessons but then between looking for a car and a sports injury I probably didn’t drive for 4 months. Back practising now and probably feeling better about it each drive I do. Getting caught up on a few things..

Mini roundabouts in particular in Raheny! I’m nearly sure my instructor had told me purely to indicate off them but anyone I’m practising with are in two minds over whether that’s the case? Anyone any advice?

And then coming to a stop from 4th gear as an example. Instructor had me doing 4th to 2nd in the one change which was fine, but I don’t find it works as smoothly in my 1 litre, and then I can get caught up panicking about not having time to go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd. Can I do either in the test?

I plan to do a lesson or two and a pre test nearer the time, but just want to be doing the right thing on my own practises. Lessons can be pricey!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Test coming up in 4 weeks, little nervous but not dreading it or anything. My first go, kind of looking at it as a bit of a free hit as such, only been driving 6 months properly. Did the 12 edt lessons, did more 1hr lessons but then between looking for a car and a sports injury I probably didn’t drive for 4 months. Back practising now and probably feeling better about it each drive I do. Getting caught up on a few things..

Mini roundabouts in particular in Raheny! I’m nearly sure my instructor had told me purely to indicate off them but anyone I’m practising with are in two minds over whether that’s the case? Anyone any advice?

And then coming to a stop from 4th gear as an example. Instructor had me doing 4th to 2nd in the one change which was fine, but I don’t find it works as smoothly in my 1 litre, and then I can get caught up panicking about not having time to go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd. Can I do either in the test?

I plan to do a lesson or two and a pre test nearer the time, but just want to be doing the right thing on my own practises. Lessons can be pricey!

Yes, indicate going into and exiting all roundabouts. And stop in 2nd gear, take is easy and slow down earlier if you're having trouble doing this, the fact that you are having trouble with this means you could use afew more lessons. It'll be worth it rather than having to resit the test again and waiting months for another slot.

I failed my first test going into a roundabout with the instruction of going straight ahead, but by taking the wrong lane (the right lane for right turns only), instint fail, so pay close attention to the road markings.

Goodluck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kh1993 wrote: »

For the test you can come down through all the gears, or you can block change. If coming to a complete stop (eg STOP sign) you may just stop in 4th. If you are coming to a complete stop I would recommend stopping in 4th gear. It is the simplest option really. And if you have to come down through the gears then I would recommend block changing.

There really is no need to come down from 4, 3, 2 in my mind. It's a lot of gear changes to cover in short time, and really there is no reason for it. If approaching a left turn, where it is appropriate to slow before the turn, it would be best to slow and block change from 4th to 2nd and then proceed around.

As for your car being jumpy when doing a block change, I would think there is a couple of probable causes here. First, you may be changing into 2nd when travelling too fast for the gear. Meaning that the engine has to rev high and causes the jumpiness. The answer for this one is obvious, slow more in 4th gear, then change. The other is that you are simply not smooth enough releasing the clutch. More practise of this method should be the answer.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes, indicate going into and exiting all roundabouts.
    Goodluck

You don't indicate going into a roundabout if you are going straight on - you indicate after the first exit?

(I'm only learning too but that's what I've been told)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Pretzill wrote: »
    You don't indicate going into a roundabout if you are going straight on - you indicate after the first exit?

(I'm only learning too but that's what I've been told)
    When I was tutoring my girls for their tests, it was in proper lane early, indicate after the 1st turn off to show intent to move into lane, then indicating after the turn off just before yours.

Good Luck.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are required to indicate in the same manner around mini-roundabouts as standard roundabouts. Don't treat them differently. IF you are confused about something, query it with an instructor. Other people just get lazy and see mini roundabouts as no more than a miss-placed speed bump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement