Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - i7 8700k - Looking for Feedback

Options
  • 06-08-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Howdy All,

Ive been putting this build off for the last few years and finally have enough money together to pull it off. Picked up the video card last month which has been running in my current setup, but Im very much bottlenecked by an FX-4130 CPU.

I ordered an i7-8700k yesterday and should get it in the next week, but now I need to pick up the rest of the parts. The Image attached is what I have selected from my research so far and I would greatly appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

457645.png

The case, CPU, Video Card and monitor already exist so these wont be changing.

I went with an Asus board in the hopes that I wont have to have extra pieces of software to control the RGB aspects (which honestly Im not pushed about) the Z370-E was selected in particular because it has bluetooth and the others dont. Does anyone have any experience of these boards and have I made a reasonable choice here?

I selected the corsair cooler because I want to go for an AIO water block and it seems to have the best reviews from around the place.

Samsung 960 Pro chosen over the EVO because it has a longer warranty.

My main questions, I suppose are around my RAM selection. Ive picked 2*16GB should I want to add more at a later stage - but Im pretty sure that 32GB is overkill. So I suppose Im asking is the DDR4 3200 OK here or should I be looking at something running at a different speed?

Power Supply is my next question. Im pretty sure that the 1000W is overkill, (PC Part Picker estimates the build at 500 Watt), so Im hoping that running the PSU at half load will keep it a quiet running machine.

I will also be looking at a new keyboard but this is so subjective that I really want to try and get my hands on a few different ones to test out before I make a decision there.

The system will mainly be used for gaming and a small bit of Virtual machines for study.
    Current games at the moment are PUBG DOS2 Fallout 4. Love to play RTS games like Warhammer DOW DOW and Starcraft 2 and am looking forward to Fallout 76, also fancy trying Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say the ram is the only thing that screams overkill, mostly given the insane pricing of RAM at present. For games, even 8GB is fine right now, so while 16GB is reasonable, 32GB is more or less senseless at the moment, though it may come in handy depending on the level of virtual machines running.

1000W PSU is also way OTT, your build under sustained 100% load on both GPU and CPU wouldn't even draw 450W (and it would be rare for scenarios where both are taxed 100% outside of benchmarking). I understand the logic but a good solid 750W model would more than suffice. In those upper tiers of supplies, the good models are very quiet and highly efficient right up to 80%+ load.

As a gaming build, I would say it would generally be way overkill for most people, unless you have very specific needs for the a) 8700K and b) the features of that board that you can justify the high prices.

Also not an ideal time to pick up a 1080Ti with new cards just around the corner which will probably knock a hundred or two off the price of the 1080Ti/offer a newer, better card for the same cash.

Overall it's a solid build, just I would see a few areas where you could save a ton of money from a gaming perspective (8600K instead of 8700K; 16GB ram instead of 32GB; great air cooler over the water cooler for half the price and probably quieter; cheaper board unless you plan heavy overclocking or need all the connectivity options; 750w modular supply instead of that 1k model).

Put the €400-500 savings into an excellent keyboard/mouse, headphones, whatever. The changes would have a 0% effect on games.

No need at all for that PSU. 650W Gold one is more than enough.

Advertisement