Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Red Hair Dye?

Options
  • 06-08-2018 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for recommendations,ideally of the Copperie variety. My hair is already dyed,almost Gold. So I want something to go over this. Had a bit of a bad day at the hairdresser a few weeks ago,much too short when I'm used to being long. I also miss being red. Gold is ok,it was ok try something new but Im 'better' red. Any suggestions until my roots are due in about a month? Thanks,S

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When it comes to red box dyes, choice are few and far between. Most that I found were more 'auburn' and I knew they'd end up going to brunette. Any proper reds that I found were permanent (although to be fair, they fade so fast - especially at the beginning - that you wouldn't really believe it!). In terms of temporary options, I'd probably try something like a Revlon Colour Creme Bomb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Nutri-Colour-Creme-Revlon/dp/B0012X8OMU

Or just bite the bullet and do a permanent home dye - I use this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwarzkopf-Intense-Colour-Permanent-Mango/dp/B01B4UBZYO/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1533914966&sr=1-1&keywords=schwarzkopf+live+mango

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Temporary reds in strong colours are very few these days.

Ive been using them for nearly 30 years now and I never recall such a lack of choice as the past few years.

I order this one online:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwarzkopf-Country-Colors-Colours-Col-58/dp/B00AF95LGY/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1533915627&sr=1-4&keywords=Schwarzkopf+Country+Colors

And I mix in a bit of this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutri-Color-Creme-Revlon-Professional/dp/B0012X3ZPG/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1533915664&sr=1-4&keywords=revlon+colour+bomb

I also add the colour bomb to a creamy conditioner and once a week between dyes I use that in my hair after normal washing and conditioning.

Ive tried using the colour bomb on its own but the colour just washes straight back out - it doesnt "stick". But if you add it to a dye it enhances the colour and it also freshens it using it in conditioner.

I get about 4 weeks between dyes but its quite faded by then - 3 weeks would be optimal but who has the time!!

I also try to wash my hair as little as possible - I try for twice a week but I do generally end up washing it 3 times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

You could maybe try one of the 'crazy colours' reds. Just do a patch test to see do you like the tone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

....... wrote: »
    Ive tried using the colour bomb on its own but the colour just washes straight back out - it doesnt "stick". But if you add it to a dye it enhances the colour and it also freshens it using it in conditioner.

That’s interesting, I’ve had the total opposite experience, to the extent that when I had an uneven colour bomb application, the different tones can still be seen 2 months later!

Faith wrote: »
    That’s interesting, I’ve had the total opposite experience, to the extent that when I had an uneven colour bomb application, the different tones can still be seen 2 months later!

Might be to do with how dyed or damaged the underlying hair is to begin with?

And maybe the original colour of the hair too?

It certainly doesnt stick at all for me, I shower in work after the gym and people are always commenting on how much red comes out in the water the next couple of showers after Ive colour bombed it (the water goes out under the shower to a central drain).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

....... wrote: »
    Temporary reds in strong colours are very few these days.

Ive been using them for nearly 30 years now and I never recall such a lack of choice as the past few years.

I order this one online:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwarzkopf-Country-Colors-Colours-Col-58/dp/B00AF95LGY/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1533915627&sr=1-4&keywords=Schwarzkopf+Country+Colors

And I mix in a bit of this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutri-Color-Creme-Revlon-Professional/dp/B0012X3ZPG/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1533915664&sr=1-4&keywords=revlon+colour+bomb

I also add the colour bomb to a creamy conditioner and once a week between dyes I use that in my hair after normal washing and conditioning.

I get about 4 weeks between dyes but its quite faded by then - 3 weeks would be optimal but who has the time!!

I also try to wash my hair as little as possible - I try for twice a week but I do generally end up washing it 3 times a week.

You add colour bomb to the dye?

I have that at home and a gloss semi I plan on using next week, so I just mix the two?

GingerLily wrote: »
    You add colour bomb to the dye?

I have that at home and a gloss semi I plan on using next week, so I just mix the two?

Yeah, Ive always mixed and matched hair dyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

You should only mix hair colour of the same type.
    If you mix a direct dye colour like the colour bomb in with an oxidising colour (those where you add the tube of colour to the developer) it’s the equivalent of adding conditioner to your permanent colour. It will make it less effective because the conditioner closes the outer cuticle layer and it needs to be open for the dye molecules to penetrate effectively.
    If you want to use a colour bomb, use it after applying an oxidising colour.

If your hair is porous, a direct dye tends to last much longer.

Advertisement