Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Wright has no case to answer for Keane accent.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He likes to be heard. Wright is a plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Everyone should be allowed do accents for any region.

We've lost the nature of comedy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Fiddle-dee-dee, potato potato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

OFCOM have decided Ian Wright has done nothing wrong with his Keane immitation during the world cup. I see some people onine are not happy saying Irish people are always seen as fair game but anybody else it would have been considered discrimination. Personally it doesn't bother me. Do many people feel that it seems ok for people around the world to mock us?
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup-2018/uks-ofcom-says-ian-wright-imitating-roy-keanes-accent-was-in-good-humour-37189222.html

People actually complained to OFCOM about his paddy accent impersonation what a snowflake world we live in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Keane did sound pretty funny the way he kept saying Final. The more he said it, the sillier it sounded. Sure we all love to mock the Cork accent. Probably should have turned round to Wright and said innit bruv fam or some such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I dont think you could criticise Wright at all. He did it quite well. Both the Cork element, and the specifically Keane character of it. Glad his effort was considered up to scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Totally nonsense complaint. But I suppose they have to look into any complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

beertons wrote: »
    He likes to be heard. Wright is a plonker.

Hopefully keane will take the p1ss out of Wright next time.

There’s so much material there to put wright back in his box.

He’s a fookin ignorant clown and always was.

Good footballer in his day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ian Wright is an @rse, but jez people have little to bother them.

Imagine having the interest to be watching that, and then say "right that's it, I'm going to complain to ofcom". Actually go online, get their phone number and make the call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Christ almighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

The way Wright pronounces "final" sound just as stupid to me as the way Keane pronounces it... And that's coming from a North Tipp man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Keane looked like he was about to laugh at the end of that clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I just felt it was unnecessary and unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Who is that guy and why should I care about his opinion? I hadn't heard of him yesterday and suddenly he's popped up about 5 times in different fourms today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Keane and Wright are a huge pair of Muppets that deserve each other, just keep them both off the screen.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OFCOM have decided Ian Wright has done nothing wrong with his Keane immitation during the world cup. I see some people onine are not happy saying Irish people are always seen as fair game but anybody else it would have been considered discrimination. Personally it doesn't bother me. Do many people feel that it seems ok for people around the world to mock us?
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup-2018/uks-ofcom-says-ian-wright-imitating-roy-keanes-accent-was-in-good-humour-37189222.html

He’s mocking Roy Keane, not “us”
    Nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Liamario wrote: »
    I just felt it was unnecessary and unprofessional.

For Christs sake, it was just a joke.

What's the joke? He has an Irish accent. What's funny about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s a Cork accent. Of course it is humorous. It’s a preposterous accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

"It was just banter"
    "It was just a joke"
    "It was just a prank"

Stockholm syndrome still strong in those Southern folk. Adapt to your surroundings. If you live in a supposed snowflake generation (probably coming from Mexican baby boomers lol) , then adapt.

Mario Rosenstock has made a living out of impersonating Roy Keane.

Nothing. Its that its a Cork accent that adds the funny.

Remember they grew up on British tv so they're probably used to it. They also watch chav/smickball every year supporting team's that are nowhere near local to themselves showing their double digit IQ at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The fact that he was impersonating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah come on now, if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

A joeke ? Thats not a Joeke. I dont think thats a Joeke. You want a joeke ? I'll tell you a Joeke. Mick McCarthy's first touch. Now that's a joeke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Storm and Teacup comes to mind.

Wrightys just having a laugh ffs.

• Advertisement

It’s a Cork accent. Of course it is humorous. It’s a preposterous accent.

He doesn't know a cork accent from any other. He was doing a generic Irish accent. For what purpose, because I'm not getting the joke. If he was trying to do an impression of Keane, no problem. He was just doing an Oirish accent in a childish attempt to make Keane look stupid.
    Also keep in mind that it was meant to be a somewhat serious discussion about football, not never mind the buzzcocks.

matrim wrote: »
    Who is that guy and why should I care about his opinion? I hadn't heard of him yesterday and suddenly he's popped up about 5 times in different fourms today

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ydjfx

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mario Rosenstock has made a living out of impersonating Roy Keane.

I'm not convinced it was an impersonation of Roy Keane though and that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

He doesn't know a cork accent from any other. He was doing a generic Irish accent. For what purpose, because I'm not getting the joke. If he was trying to do an impression of Keane, no problem. He was just doing an Oirish accent in a childish attempt to make Keane look stupid.
    Also keep in mind that it was meant to be a somewhat serious discussion about football, not never mind the buzzcocks.

No he was trying Keane. That was obvious to me at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Advertisement

He doesn't know a cork accent from any other. He was doing a generic Irish accent. For what purpose, because I'm not getting the joke. If he was trying to do an impression of Keane, no problem.

Unless there's more footage that I haven't seen, he was specifically doing an impression of Keane saying the word 'final'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It just made Wright look bad in the sense he was totally unable to respond to Keanes very valid point without resorting to mocking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

People actually complained about this? lol

Can't say I'm surprised in this snowflake culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Don't have a problem with this , hopefully this means every single accent is fair game for impersonation on TV.

I wonder if Keane mocked Wrights accent would the decision have been the same.

Don't have a problem with this , hopefully this means every single accent is fair game for impersonation on TV.

What do you think? You think after this minor incident that mocking a POC's accent will be fine on national tv?

Snowflake culture defending your own people. Well tbh English league soccer fans probably don't see themselves as Irish anyway so I understand completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Miserable sods like Keane with no sense of humour whatsoever annoy me more than anyone taking the mickey out of Ireland. Hes so bloody intense and serious and humourless he makes Daniel Day Lewis seem like Patch Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

As one of the people who complained, I must say I'm deeply disappointed by this outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

What do you think? You think after this minor incident that mocking a POC's accent will be fine on national tv?

Snowflake culture defending your own people. Well tbh English league soccer fans probably don't see themselves as Irish anyway so I understand completely.

It should be.

His accent is not really that different than a white person from London's accent.

If you are allowed to mock one type of accent for the purpose of getting a laugh on TV then it should be fair game to mock everyone's accent.

Would anyone have even complained? It's a fairly standard south/east London accent, innit bruv?

Advertisement