Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving dealership car with no tax?

• 07-08-2018 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a used car at a dealership. Turned out there were a few issues with it so they have me a loaner for a few days while it was sorted. I immediately changed over the insurance to said vehicle. After driving it a couple of days, I realised the tax disc was out. I'm wondering now, if I had been stopped by the Gardaí, would I have got in trouble for the out of date tax disc or would the dealership? Or is there some sort of exemption that applies to cars in this particular scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I recently bought a used car at a dealership. Turned out there were a few issues with it so they have me a loaner for a few days while it was sorted. I immediately changed over the insurance to said vehicle. After driving it a couple of days, I realised the tax disc was out. I'm wondering now, if I had been stopped by the Gardaí, would I have got in trouble for the out of date tax disc or would the dealership? Or is there some sort of exemption that applies to cars in this particular scenario?

You would get into trouble for this. It is ultimately your responsibility to have tax on a car that you're driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Happened to me. Stopped by Gardai, while in a dealership car. No tax = fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Doesn't the fine go to the registered owner though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doesn't the fine go to the registered owner though?

If caught on the road parked. If stopped it goes to the operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

OK that's really good to know. I assumed that the garage would be responsible given I'm not the owner and have no way of taxing a vehicle they give me. I guess if it ever happens again I'll insist they give me a car with in date tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Car I hired from Enterprise in late July, tax was out.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Biko, that's a joke. I've rented cars and I've never thought to check the tax and I'd be furious if I ended up fined!

So basically, dealerships and car rental places have no responsibility when it comes to sending people out in their vehicles without tax? That just doesn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Biko, that's a joke. I've rented cars and I've never thought to check the tax and I'd be furious if I ended up fined!

So basically, dealerships and car rental places have no responsibility when it comes to sending people out in their vehicles without tax? That just doesn't sit right with me.

I'll go one better, I got a car off a dealer for a few days while my own was being investigated for an intermittent issue.

Got a letter in the post with a fine for no display of tax a few weeks later. I realised it was from when the dealers car was parked on the street outside my house by me, I hadn't realised the car had no tax disc and didn't think to check. But here's where it got interesting, the dealer got the fine in the post and changed the name on it to me as I had the car at the time. When I rang them to find out what was going on, they claimed that the car had a tax disc and I must have taken it out when I had the car!! (how they came to that conclusion I don't know). They outright lied to me as well as accusing me of doing something I didn't do.

The conclusion was I wrote a letter to the local superintendent outlining the whole thing and I never heard anything since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    Car I hired from Enterprise in late July, tax was out.

image.jpg

That happened to me about 2 years ago; turned out they had the disc is the office. I parked up in a multi storey in town and insisted that they send the disc out to me by hand or they could come collect the car whenever they wanted, ie I would not drive it back to them. It arrived by taxi after about 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

It's ultimately the drivers responsibility to make sure the car they're driving is in a safe and legal state. That includes working lights, brakes, tyres (thread, pressure), tax, insurance and general road worthyness (NCT). It's not relevant whether the driver drivers their own car, their mothers car, a friends car, a stolen car, or one from a garage/car rental agency.

That's no news, it's been like this since you sat your drivers test. It's actually one of the questions.

Whether you can hold the dealership or car rental place accountable in any way is a different story (and between you and the dealership/car rental place only). I'm sure if you present the fine to the company they'll reimburse you. From the point of view of the authorities and regarding fines/points on your license, it's the drivers responsibility only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    It's ultimately the drivers responsibility to make sure the car they're driving is in a safe and legal state. That includes working lights, brakes, tyres (thread, pressure), tax, insurance and general road worthyness (NCT). It's not relevant whether the driver drivers their own car, their mothers car, a friends car, a stolen car, or one from a garage/car rental agency.

Get off your high horse and spare us the moral lecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I presume you would have the same problem if you hired a car in the UK and the tax was out? With the added bonus of not knowing it was out until you got pulled over.

Advertisement