Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weston Park Oldtown

Options
  • 07-08-2018 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi what is this area like in Ncd, looking at the area at the moment and what Oldtown is like? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

I like Oldtown and have been living there for years, but it's very quiet. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of activity here which is a shame. Still, it's a nice part of the county, very close to Swords and Ashbourne which is handy, but there's next to nothing in terms of public transport. That is changing a bit though, there's a service that runs to Swords on Friday and Saturday evenings if I remember rightly. Doesn't seem to get a whole lot of use unfortunately.

Still, I think it's a nice village, you'll be very welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 redhen94

Hello Jimmy, why do you think there's no public transport to Oldtown? There should be at least one bus service. Even if it's only half a dozen times a day. It's in Dublin, for heaven's sake. Would the people not send in a petition to Dublin Bus? I know a lot of people have cars, but you know, after a certain age, people like to be free of car hassle too. So unless you have the money for a taxi, you're stuck in Oldtown? It may be a nice place, but surely people would like to get out once in a while? That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Hi Redhen, it seems I made a mistake there. I spotted a sign in the village last week which had details of the bus service and it appears to run 4 times a day, Monday to Saturday. Apologies for the misinformation! http://www.tseac.ie/docs/Local%20Link%20Route%20195%20Ashbourne%20to%20Balbriggan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 redhen94

Hi jimmymack it's redhen back again, squawk. This is only a link bus to places like Garristown and Balbriggan. What if you wanted to go into town and do a bit of shopping or something? I have a pal who got married to a fellow who settled in Oldtown and she's on 24 hour taxi duty driving her teens around. That's terrible. There should be a bus for town at least half a dozen times a day. Why is Oldtown so neglected, I wonder? In 2018, a town in north Co. Dublin doesn't have a feckin' bus service? It's difficult to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Csalem

It used to have a bus service that was quite popular up to the 1980s. But then people got cars, stopped using it and the route was withdrawn in 2010:
    https://allaboutbuses.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/end-of-the-line-for-ardcath-service/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Anyone who lives in Oldtown might be interested to know that the Rolestown bus (41B) was supposed to be axed with nothing replacing it. But, I've heard they are talking about an hourly service into Swords now (as part of the Busconnects thing). Maybe, that could be extended to Oldtown some of the time at least. Might be worth an email to local politicians asking for that. There's also a Rolestown (and district) page on Facebook, where people have been active on the issue. I use the 41B a bit, and my kids use it a fair bit. We've never used the Locallink as a bus service to Balbriggan is the complete opposite direction you want to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Csalem

There is a new bus route planned from Ashbourne to Swords and has gone out to tender recently. It should start next year and it is separate from Bus Connects. It's exact routing has not been revealed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Csalem wrote: »
    There is a new bus route planned from Ashbourne to Swords and has gone out to tender recently. It should start next year and it is separate from Bus Connects. It's exact routing has not been revealed yet.
    Would make sense to go via Garristown, Oldtown (and Rolestown obviously) I think. Most kids in those areas go to (secondary) school in either Swords or Ashbourne.

Advertisement