Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera mount location - helmet or handlebars?

Options
  • 07-08-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where you all mount your cameras, if you have one. I've always had it attached to my helmet, for a higher view and also to follow the direction in which I'm looking. However, I recently upgraded to a GoPro clone and it's a lot more obvious on the helmet. I've noticed it's attracting a lot more attention, for example:

...and I feel a little bit dorky with it on. On the other hand, perhaps it's good to 'promote' camera use.

For a change, I've attached the handlebar bracket and was going to try it out there, but I'm wondering if:
    1) the resulting video will of worse quality, being lower, fixed view and shakier due to bumps,
    2) the bracket might get nicked as it's attached using hand-tightened screws - it's one like this: 1463082782428896898.JPG)
    3) it's not quick-release, like the helmet mount, so has to be unscrewed whenever I stop.

Any opinions on the best place to mount it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is where the session is better, its mount cage can be left without attracting a million little scrotes.

aorwBB3l.jpg

This is basically my setup, mines at the same level vs below the bars, and it works really well. Vibration isn't an issue on good cameras with low shutter angle, on crap cameras though you'd see nothing. Little rubber in the mount is good. Its great for getting reg plates etc. I don't commute with a helmet so its not going up there and a chest rig is too much effort.

The chest does look great though:

This is typical helmet footage: Rocking and shaking and generally motion sickness inducing. You do catch the texters but I can't bloody watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agree...Helmet mounted camera footage is awful to watch! AND the wearer looks like a dork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

ED E wrote: »
    This is where the session is better, its mount cage can be left without attracting a million little scrotes.

aorwBB3l.jpg

What is this mount cage (and how much does it cost) and what's the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ED E wrote: »
    ...The chest does look great though...
    It probably depends on the bike and saddle height/bar height. I tried a chest mount yesterday and, even with the camera tilted as far back as it could be, all I got were great pictures of my arms, knees and front wheel.

It would probably be ok in a 'sit up and beg' bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wore a helmet camera for years as the footage from the handlebar mount was unbelievably shakey on rough Dublin roads. But I find when riding on a road bike where my head position is quite variable, finding an angle that will see sufficiently forward at all times was not really possible. I have since moved my camera to the handlebars. The shake isn't so bad, and the more modern cameras have stabilisation to smooth the footage.

Also the added advantage of not looking like a pleb with it on the helmet is a plus, although it was never an issue for me in the past.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

helmets are not made to withstand impact with a foreign object attached. if you do have a fall and land on the attached camera and/or mount, it could potentially puncture your head depending on the severity of the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

TheShow wrote: »
    helmets are not made to withstand impact with a foreign object attached. if you do have a fall and land on the attached camera and/or mount, it could potentially puncture your head depending on the severity of he impact.

which I believe is exactly what happened to Michael Schumacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have this one....
    (very discreet when using a Gopro session camera)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072JYSZC9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be careful with these mounts as they only fit where the bike stem bolts are m5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Be careful with these mounts as they only fit where the bike stem bolts are m5.

Are there stems that don't use M5 bolts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Are there stems that don't use M5 bolts?

Yep. My Cube has m6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

which I believe is exactly what happened to Michael Schumacher.

So it was said at the time, but I think that idea was later discarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I wear a Session on my helmet, I would not mount it on my handlebar for 1 simple reason.
    Drivers can see the camera.
    The number of close calls and ignorant passes I've experienced since I bought the camera has dropped to all but nil. 1 incident in 3 months as opposed to 1 per ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Rechuchote wrote: »
    So it was said at the time, but I think that idea was later discarded?

I should've underlined "I believe" ;)

from what I'm reading now it looks like there was a claim written about it at the time, which GoPro pushed back hard on saying he crashed into rocks and that there was no evidence that the camera was a factor. it's hard to find much more than that in a quick search, either corroborating or debunking the initial claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

It probably depends on the bike and saddle height/bar height. I tried a chest mount yesterday and, even with the camera tilted as far back as it could be, all I got were great pictures of my arms, knees and front wheel.

Turn the camera upside down and you get a better angle! You'll have to set the mode on the camera to upside down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'll have a rear baby carrier seat on the bike which will completely block the seat post... looking for a new location for my fly 6 also! I was thinking about the seat stay but they are very narrow.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Turn the camera upside down and you get a better angle! You'll have to set the mode on the camera to upside down too.
    I can't see how that would make any difference. :confused:

My chest would still be facing downwards regardless of the orientation of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

My chest would still be facing downwards regardless of the orientation of the camera.

I agree, and I would have thought that on a road bike there'd be too much variation in the angle of the rider - maybe a 45 degree difference between a fast cycle with the head down and when you're standing at traffic lights...?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Plenty of results on it if you do a google.

p15574 wrote: »
    I agree, and I would have thought that on a road bike there'd be too much variation in the angle of the rider - maybe a 45 degree difference between a fast cycle with the head down and when you're standing at traffic lights...?

There may be something in that - especially going from the bars to the drops. But certainly flipping it can give a better angle, if all you're getting is the front wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, on a "slammed" setup this won't work. Here's how that one above is mounted:

I know there's plenty here posting vids and stuff on this, but here is a good one that explains it. Inverted it allows you to angle the camera further up. So when your hands are on the bars you get more of an level view, rather than one pointing at the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=37&v=LGFDkFBQ4pI

But still, I'm not sure a chest mount is ideal. I think it's got to be handle bars or helmet.

Apologies for my puzzlement. While cycling home from work, it dawned on me (before seeing the posts with video links) what you meant. :o

Turn the mounting bracket the other way around which would allow the camera to drop to a more vertical position.

(I agree that the chest strap isn't ideal and it's not the most comfortable. I was just trying it out as it came with the camera and the strapping is hidden by my back pack on the commute. I wouldn't wear it otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CorneliusJames

If you're using a chesty type of GoPro mount it might be worth investing in a gimbal to reduce the shake.

I have a K-Edge 'Out in front' dual GoPro and Garmin mount. I found it to be brilliant. It's mounted to the handlebars, and you set the camera to shoot 'upside down' - I haven't found shake to be a problem. Mounting on the handlebars makes it neat and tucks the camera out of the way but with good forward facing visibility. Even if you set the GoPro to wide-angle you just about see the tops of the hoods in the shop.

I also have a K-Edge mount that fits onto the saddle rails for the rear-facing camera, I have to say, the K-Edge mounts are great and are much better than the plastic ones that come with the GoPro which eventually break from vibration fractures.

Advertisement