Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing 10mth old to wedding

• 07-08-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for any tips or advice people might have :)
    Going to the UK next month for a family wedding and we're bringing our DD who will be 10 months old.
    Very good, content baby but in a very good routine.
    As the wedding draws closer we're getting a bit more anxious about feeding and napping her on the day.
    Wedding is in a venue with no accomodation, staying a house 5/10mins drive away)
    DD is also VERY easily distracted when feeding.
    She usually naps at 1pm for 90 mins every day and goes straight through to bed time at about 7.
    We're planning on bringing a stroller to the venue and hoping she'll settle in that about 7/8 and nap a little ?
    If not we're aware we could be leaving before 10 to get DD back for her sleep.
    Anyone done anything similar ?
    Any advice to offer ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I brought my 6.5 month old to an overseas wedding a few weeks ago. It was my brothers wedding. Honestly, it was very difficult. He is also very distracted when feeding and is also quite difficult to get to nap in general but especially when there is a lot going on.

I was able to feed him during the ceremony and then my husband had to take him outside to walk around until he fell asleep. There was a break while the bride and groom were getting photos done so he was able to have another nap and feed then and I had to take him out to the car and feed him and so he could have another nap while we were waiting for dinner.

Dinner wasn’t until 9.00 so we literally ate so quick and skipped dessert so we could get him back to bed as he was so cranky because none of his naps were very long. I felt so sorry for him and guilty that I put him through it.

Now obviously your daughter is that little bit older and has less naps so that’s one difference. My brothers wedding was immediate family only so we didn’t really have the option to skip some of it which you might but I wouldn’t be getting your hopes up that it will be a “normal” wedding experience. Sorry to be so negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get a babysitter for before the meal starts, church will be fine if they don't throw up which happened to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What I've done is that I go to the ceremony alone, hubby brings baby to the reception & meal. Hubby departs with baby after meal, not much after baby's normal bed time. Basically we stretch him out as much as possible. Baby is dressed for bed before leaving. I stay on a bit until I feel like going.

Events to date have been on my side of the family. We'd reverse for his.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Doable but accept that you will probably soend the day trading off on taking care of the baby.It's a pain in the ar&e to be honest, but look, it's life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have done this a few times.I brought the buggy and a sling,if baby is hungry they will feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

I was going to suggest a sling too. A ring sling is easy to use with a wee bit of practice and so snug. Also possible to breastfeed in, if you're bf. We brought 4 month old to a wedding last year and we were one of the last to go to bed.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We travelled to a wedding with our 4 month old. It was within Ireland, but it's the same thing really. I would recommend:

- Bring the sling / carrier, it's much handier than the buggy for during the service
    - Sit somewhere near the back / sides during the service so you can come in and out without disturbing anyone
    - Lots of people will want to hold / talk to your baby during the day and this will over stimulate them, they might be more difficult than usual.

Other than that it's handy enough. Just don't expect the normal routine. No reason you can't enjoy the full day into the early hours if you are properly prepared.

Might be worth checking for baby sitters, even if you aren't staying in the venue maybe there is somewhere they could watch your child for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

For my brother's wedding we stayed at the venue with our 18month old. She slept through the ceremony (4pm) and woke for the meal (6pm). We got her to around 9pm before hubby brought her back to our room and stayed with her. We were in Canada so her routine was a bit off with the time difference. Party finished at midnight on the button so hubby didn't miss out on too much of the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Cheers for all the replies.
    There's no real option of Baby sitters as we're staying in an AirBnB place about 5/10minutes drive form the wedding venue and any family who would have offered to look after her are attending the wedding.

We're hoping she can get some nap in the afternoon to help stretch her but kinda dreading not being able to put her down to sleep at 7/8 and the ensuing over tiredness when she does eventually go down.

But its only for one day/night so we'll just grin and bear it I suppose

Might try the carrier along with the stroller for settling her during the day and then just limit the amount of people that want to hold her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Brought a 4 month old to a wedding years ago, and just this year a 2 year old and 6 month old. For feeding the venue should have a quiet spot to nip off to for 10 minutes.

As for naps, I'd kind of just wing it but bringing a buggy and sling are great ideas. Might have to take the little one on a short stroll to nod off in the buggy and I'd imagine someone will be heading home early with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Any family on the other side of your marriage? There were a couple of babies at my wedding a few years ago, and the family from the other side came to pick them up after photos and a bit of food.
    My own daughter I brought to a wedding alright, and again, someone on the other side of family minded her from bedtime on. TBH, it was a pain in the backside bringing her. She was pukey as a small one, so I was not comfortable wiping baby sick off me for those few hours, and didn't want to hand her over to any other guest for the same reason. She made a bit of noise during ceremony (I stepped out with her of course, missing the ceremony myself) and cried for the photos (overtired).

Advertisement