Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Marathon April 2019 - Ballot?

Options
  • 07-08-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking for info online but I'm struggling to fully understand the process (can't speak Italian!). It looks incredible and I'd love to be in with a shot at the start line next April!

I can see I'll need to purchase a 'Runcard' & get a medical form filled out but beyond that I'm a little lost.

Has anyone on here got any experience? Chances of actually getting a place as an Irish citizen?

Any tips, advice or general help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Took part in it this year, cracking race although very hot on the day. I have an England Athletics membership which negated the need for a medical form. Ran through St Peters square when the Pope was saying Mass

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks. I've heard nothing but good things from others also. Any plans to do it again?

Do you know what time of year they start to accept applications?

I'm still very confused by the process, I'm a non competitive athlete. There is no info in regards me entering other than the compulsory med form: https://www.maratonadiroma.it/?!a/=/reservation-of-the-registration-mdr-2019-2020/

I realised the runcard is for people who are athletes.

For anyone interested:

You must register on this portal first: mymdr.it (you can convert to an english translation)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

Pink11 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been looking for info online but I'm struggling to fully understand the process (can't speak Italian!). It looks incredible and I'd love to be in with a shot at the start line next April!

I can see I'll need to purchase a 'Runcard' & get a medical form filled out but beyond that I'm a little lost.

Has anyone on here got any experience? Chances of actually getting a place as an Irish citizen?

Any tips, advice or general help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Pink,

Did you ever figure out this application process?
    It looks like you can enter for 2020 as well as 2019 but it does seem like a bit of an ordeal unless your a club member.

goodtiming wrote: »
    Hi Pink,

Did you ever figure out this application process?
    It looks like you can enter for 2020 as well as 2019 but it does seem like a bit of an ordeal unless your a club member.

Hi there. Reading conflicting info on it via google translate and saw that you can send in 'a request to register'. I can't even tell if this is a ballot, first come - first served... it's not clear at all!

I emailed through my request and got an out of office to say the office is closed until August 25th. It had english and Italian on the out of office which hopefully will help me!

I was at the dr last week for a check up and asked her to fill out the medical form so I've that ready to go if they request a copy.

I'll post updates on the process here for anyone else interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

All events are licenced by the Rome municilpe authority and this is still subject to licence through tender for 2019-2020. So by registering now you are putting your name on the pre-entry sheet.
    This is how the Granfond Cycle takes early entries.
    Once the licence is issued you are first on the list.
    Even decisions on yearly events do not happen quickly in Rome.
    Re the medcert. You will probably be able to upload it at some stage later when full registration is open. But once it's within 12months you can show it at sign on.

• Advertisement

Esroh wrote: »
    All events are licenced by the Rome municilpe authority and this is still subject to licence through tender for 2019-2020. So by registering now you are putting your name on the pre-entry sheet.
    This is how the Granfond Cycle takes early entries.
    Once the licence is issued you are first on the list.
    Even decisions on yearly events do not happen quickly in Rome.
    Re the medcert. You will probably be able to upload it at some stage later when full registration is open. But once it's within 12months you can show it at sign on.

Thanks a mil for this info.

Do you know if simply registering my interest by email is enough and that I will put on the list? I've also set up an account on their system. Don't know what else I can do!

Do you know from previous years of the timing/month that the marathon will be open officially for entries? From last year's info it looks like you could begin entering during July 2017 (for this year's April 2018 marathon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Its my sister who ran it a few year back and wants to go back, my experience is with the Granfondo but have family out there who keeps an eye on things for us
    But if you have emailed and have the account set up it should be ok.
    Re when it will open will depend on the political wheels in motion. As it's a new tender process it must go thru the motions.
    This year's Granfondo was supposed to run along side the Final Day of the Giro dItalia in May.
    Pre reg opened in October at Sign on for 1017.
    But permission was refused late Jan so all entries were offered a chance to take part this October or 2019 before we paid entry fee
    They will be after you for money asap.

Esroh wrote: »
    Its my sister who ran it a few year back and wants to go back, my experience is with the Granfondo but have family out there who keeps an eye on things for us
    But if you have emailed and have the account set up it should be ok.
    Re when it will open will depend on the political wheels in motion. As it's a new tender process it must go thru the motions.
    This year's Granfondo was supposed to run along side the Final Day of the Giro dItalia in May.
    Pre reg opened in October at Sign on for 1017.
    But permission was refused late Jan so all entries were offered a chance to take part this October or 2019 before we paid entry fee
    They will be after you for money asap.
    Thank you so much for this info. There’s no way I would hsve been able to find out all of that online.

Fingers crossed so.

I’ll let you know when office replies and they are accepting entries.

No reply from the office yet but I did see they made this announcement in the last few days. No 'new' news but confirmed what you highlighted Esroh:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE" - Italia Marathon Club (Sports Association) declares that, because of the public tender published by the Municipality of Rome for the concession of the service to organize a running event on the classic distance of the marathon, it is currently missing of the administrative qualification for the 2019 and 2020 edition of the 'Maratona di Roma', of which the name Atielle Roma srl remains in any case the holder of every right.

Therefore, the registration that the athletes will perform for participation in the indicated edition of 2019 and 2020 will be free and will be accepted as a 'reservation' and not as 'registration'.

The Email Below came in today if anyone is waiting for news on Rome.....

Dear athlete,

This communication follows those published on this site on 11 April 2018
    Following the sentence published on October 5th, 2018 by the Regional Administrative Court of Lazio, which defined the appeal proposed to the Regional Administrative Court of Lazio and directed to the cancellation of the tender announced by Roma Capitale for assignment in concession, to starting from 2019, the service of organizing a walking event on the classic distance of the marathon, the 'Italia Marathon Club' and the 'Atielle Roma srl' communicate the termination of the booking service for registration to the 25th edition of the 'Maratona di Roma ', set for April 7th, 2019, as specified on the website www.maratonadiroma.it.
    Offices of the Rome Marathon remain available for any clarification, which may be requested by email, by phone or directly at the our offices.
    We are glad to inform you about upcoming events organized by Italia Marathon Club:

- Rome City Trail 16 km / 8 km - December 16th, 2018 (www.romacitytrail.it)
    - AlbaRace 6 km - June 5th, 2019 (www.albarace.it)
    - Rome Half Marathon (half marathon) - June 15th, 2019 (www.mezzamaratonadiroma.it)
    - CorriRoma 10 km – September 15th, 2019 (www.corriroma.it)
    - UltraRoma 50 k - 50km / 30Km / 5x10 km relay October 6th, 2019 (www.ultraroma50k.it online soon)

Kind regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does that mean that it’s cancelled?

I guess so....It's pretty garbled though so I'm not 100% sure.....

Advertisement