Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coverage

Options
  • 07-08-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have an ancient but small and usually reliable Sharp550 on the Vodafone network. While at the festival in rural Waterford my phone went to "Emergency Calls Only", it showed full bars and all my friends were communicating fine. Back home the phone works fine again, Vodafone tell me to change the SIM which I think is a long shot. Could it be a 2G vs 3G thing? Also my phone has a setting option of GSM or AUTO, might that help? Thanks for any ideas, I do have an iPhone I could use, but find it a bit big (heresy, I know). :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it the 550SH? That reportedly has 2x GSM bands and 1x 3G Bands so should function on 2100Mhz 3G for calls and text. 2G will be shut down soon enough for refarming so itll be 3G or the bin.

If your SIM card is really really old it could be limiting you to 2G functionality, a SIM swap would fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Thanks for that, I changed GSM to Auto and the screen now seems to say 3G (it's a really small font, I had to use a magnifier). I will get a new SIM anyway, hopefully to one that will fit the iPhone and also my 550 with an adaptor. Cool, I appreciate the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

why is there no vodafone coverage in "Doonbeg" co Clare?

Advertisement