Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Mavic Air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

tedpan wrote: »
    It's 749? 20 pounds cheaper?

Yes - but then its from Amazon. Much better if anything is not right with it. Generally the drones are perfect.... but they have more that can go wrong with them than regular gadgets- worth considering anyway.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Can anybody recommend a tablet to fly this with that won't break the bank?

I read that apple products are far superior to Android for DJI, but they're awfully expensive. Was thinking along the lines of the Amazon Fire HD 10, but not sure if it would have enough power or be bright enough outside.
    I've used an iPad mini 2 with both the Mavic pro and Phantom 4 controllers with no lag problems or app crashing issues.

The mini 2 is actually the main one I use for work.
    Have also used a iphone 8 and Galaxy J7 with no issues.

16gb ipad mini 2's come up on the Apple refurb store every now and then, worth a look.

jogdish wrote: »
    when I got it I tried to register, and something on the site didn't allow me to click - I emailed and never got a reply - never bothered after that. Should do so again.

Not sure what that training course thingy was, some Irish guy has a youtube channel etc and charges a fair bit for a course some kinda cert - perhaps for commercial use im not sure.

Ugh I should have known all this - dummy.
    Any reference to training only applies for people seeking certification for commercial operation.

No training is required for people like yourself just flying for fun (or non-profit)

As regards where and how to fly, this bit form the IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY SMALL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT (DRONES) AND ROCKETS ORDER, 2015 applies
    (5) A person who has charge of the operation of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of less than 25 kilograms, without fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft and including cargo at the commencement of its flight shall not allow such an aircraft to be flown, unless otherwise permitted by the Authority and subject to such conditions as are required by such permission:

( a ) within a prohibited area, a restricted area, or controlled airspace;

( b ) in Air Traffic Services airspace, other than controlled airspace, within 5km of an aerodrome during periods of aircraft operations, unless the aerodrome operator has given permission;

( c ) at a distance of less than 30 metres from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the direct control of the operator;

( d ) at a distance of less than 120 metres from an assembly of 12 or more persons not under the direct control of the operator;

( e ) beyond direct unaided visual line of sight and not farther than 300 metres from the point of operation;

( f ) at a height of more than 120 metres above the ground or water;

( g ) permitting or attempting to permit, any article or animal, whether or not attached to a parachute to be released from that aircraft.

(6) A person who has charge of the operation of a small unmanned aircraft shall not permit such aircraft to be operated from any place unless the aircraft may take-off and land without undue hazard to persons or property and nothing in this order shall affect the rights and interests of the owner or occupier of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

The 15m height rule still applies though as set out in paragraph 2 when in restricted airspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Many thanks for all the above - regarding my misunderstanding of the height restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am worried I have flown over/by all the interesting things near me , sure there will be a thing to look at once in a blue moon but kinda out of flying places now :(
    I live in an urban area so thats a no no, and don't really have to ability to travel more than 30min away by car.

Am I all drone'd out?

Homer wrote: »
    The 15m height rule still applies though as set out in paragraph 2 when in restricted airspace.
    Ah yes, forgot to mention that.
    Although please don't be going up to the gates of the airport people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Homer

Unfortunately the vast majority of Dublin City and county is covered by class c restricted airspace so is restricted to 15m. Makes it difficult to fly most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

jogdish wrote:
    Am I all drone'd out?

Maybe so :( the air is still in demand so you shouldn't lose much when selling it on..

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

ozmo wrote: »
    Dunno if any use to you - but there is a white one "as new" in the Amazon warehouse right now for a few quid cheaper - £729.12

Could be lucky and be just box slightly damaged. Their returns policy is good if it is not in an acceptable condition when you get it.

I pulled trigger on this Amazon Warehouse deal yesterday as the new version of fly more on site I was looking at went up by £100 to £850 by the time I went to purchase.

Amazon item described as “Used Like New”. Never used amazon warehouse before so bit nervous. I’ll send it back if it does not meet my high expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    I pulled trigger on this Amazon Warehouse deal yesterday as the new version of fly more on site I was looking at went up by £100 to £850 by the time I went to purchase.

Amazon item described as “Used Like New”. Never used amazon warehouse before so bit nervous. I’ll send it back if it does not meet my high expectations.

Fair play, you'll have a blast. My drone was also a warehouse deal for £300. When I got it the drone was absolutely perfect, but the box was a tad battered, so I got on to Amazon chat support expressing my disappointment that as new was technically not as new. They gave me 30% back cash in hand and did not want to take it back whatsoever, so if you're not happy with it when it lands, see if they can make it worth your while.

jogdish wrote: »
    I am worried I have flown over/by all the interesting things near me , sure there will be a thing to look at once in a blue moon but kinda out of flying places now :(
    I live in an urban area so thats a no no, and don't really have to ability to travel more than 30min away by car.

Am I all drone'd out?

Try some other apps - eg check out droneddeploy you can build 3d models of buildings a from photos...very cool.
    Try plotting an autonomous mission using eg. Litchi
    Or fly your drone in google cardboard - again using Litchi

“Roll it back”

Recieved this Amazon Warehouse Mavic Air “Used Like New” condition. Packaging pretty damaged but contents seem in very good but I would not say like new :(

Drone has clearly been flown previously. The previous person even left their SD card in it (no recordings on SD or internal memory).

How can I determine how much flight time taken?

I have checked each battery (x3) and app shows 0 times charges previously. Maybe it resets to zero as I have registered drone on my account?

Any advice on determining how much this “like new” drone has actually been used would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote:
    Recieved this Amazon Warehouse Mavic Air “Used Like New†condition. Packaging pretty damaged but contents seem in very good but I would not say like new

Call them and return it, I'd be raging..

Call them and return it, I'd be raging..

If I could determine that it has had near zero flight time I’d like to fly it today.

If it has had a good bit of flight time I’ll send it straight back.

Ref my post above any way of determining previous owner flight time?

Battery recharge cycles show as zero in app. Is this reliable info or can it be reset by previous owner? Maybe it only counts a full charge cycle and batteries were removed from charger at 90% charge each time ....

Peppa Cig wrote:
    Battery recharge cycles show as zero in app. Is this reliable info or can it be reset by previous owner? Maybe it only counts a full charge cycle and batteries were removed from charger at 90% charge each time ....

From what I read online, it should be what's displayed in the app, although when I moved to a new phone one of my batteries said it had zero cycles, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Get on to Amazon chat and read the riot act, you have to be firm, but not go overboard. Explain how the condition is way worse and that you are due to head away with it, as they may just say send it back. If they offer you 150 to 200 it back and the drone is okay, then it might be worth it. Even if you accept the discount, you can still send it back before 28 days.

From what I read online, it should be what's displayed in the app, although when I moved to a new phone one of my batteries said it had zero cycles, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

DJI care refresh option available which suggests item is brand new and has only been activated by me.... (indicating it has not been previously activated i.e flown?).

Why someone left an SD card in it I don’t know.

I don’t think it can be flown without activating previously?

DJI care refresh option available which suggests item is brand new and has only been activated by me.... (indicating it has not been previously activated i.e flown?).

Why someone left an SD card in it I don’t know.

I don’t think it can be flown without activating previously?

I believe that is the case alright, you have 48 hours from activation to make the purchase, so looks like it has not had a flight. Strange about the SD card alright, but could also have been Amazon doing tests before putting back on sale.

So the big question is if you've decided to keep and have you been onto their chat service?

delly wrote: »
    I believe that is the case alright, you have 48 hours from activation to make the purchase, so looks like it has not had a flight. Strange about the SD card alright, but could also have been Amazon doing tests before putting back on sale.

So the big question is if you've decided to keep and have you been onto their chat service?

They offered me a £109 partial refund which would leave it at £620 for the fly more combo. I declined but could go back to them.

They also already gave me a £10 gift credit for the hassle.

• Advertisement

That's a nice offer, at least you have options now. With mine it took a while to get over the 'used' paranoia, but I haven't had any bother with it and the few pounds back is great. Amazon customer service is the best, they aren't top of the game for no reason.

What SD card was in the drone?

What SD card was in the drone?

San Disk 32GB Ultra

Peppa Cig wrote:
    San Disk 32GB Ultra
    Strange, I was thinking they got the slow memory card message and gave up. If it's a U3 card I have no idea why they returned it.

Did you fly it?

San Disk 32GB Ultra

Is there any damage or scuffs to the drone or propellers that suggests its been used?

The battery count cannot be reset - I think its extremely limited what you can do without activating it and the battery's dont come fully charged as new - so cannot have been flown far if at all.

- you can extract any flight logs from the drone to see when it was powered up and if it was flown etc - using dji assistant 2 - available from dji's website...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-114810-1-1.html

If its unused Another 100 off and a free memory card - was a very good deal...

“Roll it back”

Strange, I was thinking they got the slow memory card message and gave up. If it's a U3 card I have no idea why they returned it.

Did you fly it?

Hi yes I did fly it. All good except I got the slow SD card message with the SD card that was in it when it arrived (see photo of card attached).

Hopefully that error message will disappear if I try it with my new SD card (see packaging photos attached). This is the one Currys sell as a bundle with Mavic Air so should be good.

ozmo wrote: »
    Is there any damage or scuffs to the drone or propellers that suggests its been used?

The battery count cannot be reset - I think its extremely limited what you can do without activating it and the battery's dont come fully charged as new - so cannot have been flown far if at all.

- you can extract any flight logs from the drone to see when it was powered up and if it was flown etc - using dji assistant 2 - available from dji's website...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-114810-1-1.html

If its unused Another 100 off and a free memory card - was a very good deal...

its unused Another 100 off and a free memory card - was a very good deal...[/quote]

In fairness no damage or scuffs.

Laptop out of action with defective charger so can’t look at flight logs on dji assistant 2 as suggested. Does restoring to factory default in dji assistant clear flight logs anyway....

Hi yes I did fly it. All good except I got the slow SD card message with the SD card that was in it when it arrived (see photo of card attached).

I bought a few of these - so cheap - 64G for 13 pounds - and work fine - Ive never seen a slow warning in the mavic air even when recording in 4K.

https://amzn.to/2RBOoGe

You could also try doing a format of the card you have from within the drone dji go app - there might be a format on it that is not optimal.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote:
    I bought a few of these - so cheap - 64G for 13 pounds - and work fine - Ive never seen a slow warning in the mavic air even when recording in 4K.

That's weird, they're only U1 cards. I had the slow warning on my U1s.

Mymemory have much better deals on U3 cards. Just paid 18.99 for a 128GB Samsung Evo U3, unbelievable price. There's a thread in bargain alerts.

• Advertisement

Hey Peppa Cig, how are you getting on, any videos for us to get excited about?
    A handy app below that you might be interested in, gives an indication of weather for drone flying, as well as other restrictions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uavforecast&hl=fr

Advertisement