Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new bike starter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd go for the Pinnacle as you have a better groupset, and clearance and mounts for mudguards if you're going to use it in the wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'd go for the Pinnacle as you have a better groupset, and clearance and mounts for mudguards if you're going to use it in the wet

The fork on the Pinnacle is aluminium.
    It really come down to choosing between a carbon fork or more expensive group set. I'm not sure what's the best choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tuxy wrote: »
    The fork on the Pinnacle is aluminium.
    not according to the link.
    "Carbon Fork is engineered to flex to absorb shock and vibration"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

not according to the link.
    "Carbon Fork is engineered to flex to absorb shock and vibration"

Right, I misread it sorry. It looks like the best deal so. The 105 5800 groupset is very nice.

That Pinnacle even has internal cabling at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe worth noting that the chainset and brakes are not 105, but i suspect it's rare to find a bike in that price bracket where the running gear is consistently from one groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

Might be worth mentioning that there's £75 off the Speedster 20 to make it £725 and i think £50 off the Pinnacle to make it £650 . Is the consensus that the Pinnacle is a better run for the money even though it's cheaper especially considering the S20 has been reduced from £899? Also, Speedster weighs lighter if that makes a big difference? I am not sure if I will use mudguards...

Also, both the S20 and Pinnacle don't have Shimano brakes

Even Trek etc don't use Shimano breaks on that end of the market. You see a lot of Tektro.

You can get a set of 4700 or 5800 for around 50 euro. It's annoying as given the buying power big brands have theres no way it would cost them 50 quid to put shimano breaks on a lower end bike not even close.

Advertisement