Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Suggestions for working people

Options
  • 07-08-2018 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Guys,

I have wanted a friendly/cuddly dog all my life, I have a 9-5 job with 2 hrs in travelling so a total of 10hours away from the dog. My partner and I have our own house with 2 tenants. I dont mind hiring a dog walker once a day who can come and relieve him. Can someone please suggest a dog breed+age that can suit these requirements? Would a whippet be a good fit? Or an older dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

10 hours?? You had me there for a minute. I thought you were serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi Guys,

I have wanted a friendly/cuddly dog all my life, I have a 9-5 job with 2 hrs in travelling so a total of 10hours away from the dog. My partner and I have our own house with 2 tenants. I dont mind hiring a dog walker once a day who can come and relieve him. Can someone please suggest a dog breed+age that can suit these requirements? Would a whippet be a good fit? Or an older dog?

To be honest OP 10 hours 5 days per week is too long to leave a dog alone regardlesss of breed / age.

Getting a dog walker would cost around €20 ish per day and doggie day care similar. Are you prepared to pay for this 3 days per week? Every week?

Also what do you tenants think of getting a dog? All these things need to be considered but IMO 50 hours a week alone isn’t suitable. I understand you’ve always wanted a dog but the dogs needs just come first.

You say your own home.. are u actual home owners or tenants who sub let?

Again it’s too plays a role

• Registered Users Posts: 15 darkwater88

Its our home
    Yes we are ready to pay 3 days a week for a dog trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't do it OP. It's very unfair to the dog to leave it alone for long periods of time. They are social animals, they need company.

• Advertisement

:(:( ok then..

What about cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What about all those dogs out in the country that lie out at the front gate minding the place 12 hours a day. They seem grand.

Is it millennial dogs? Are they the ones with issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

:(:( ok then..

What about cats?

Two cats, they also need company.

Its our home
    Yes we are ready to pay 3 days a week for a dog trainer

Op - Dog trainer or dog walker?

Are u ok with all the other costs associated with owning a dog? Just making sure lots of people are not

Where will they dog sleep OP?

What is ur current lifestyle? Will u walk the dog each evening? Weekends? Will u be home most of the weekends?

What about ur tenants?

Agreed with the above - yes cats may suit your lifestyle better!

They are more independent than dogs still require lots of time and love and give plenty back also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

cocker5 wrote: »
    To be honest OP 10 hours 5 days per week is too long to leave a dog alone...

A dog can survive 10 hours alone just fine. The important thing is to spend meaningful time with the dog, like walking together for at half hour every day, at least once. A few of my neighbours keep dogs in their backyards with poor beasts not seeing outside for weeks. Playing and setting rules are very important too, especially for a puppy.

I and my partner can afford 1 hour walks each per day along with 30mins training each barring a few days. We are mostly house people(introverted), dont go out much apart from occasional drives which the dog can come along.

Rest of the time the dog can spend with us in the living room.

@OP
    The dog will sleep in the house, the tenants are ok with this, we are ok with other costs with the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

I live at home with my parents and our house is now busier than ever, with all of us coming and going (I live with mum, dad, sister, and nephew). But our little dog is more than content to be at home alone for hours on end once she has food, water, and somewhere comfy to laze around. We've had dogs in the past who hated being left alone even for short periods of time. Maybe we just got lucky with the dog we have now - but as an experienced dog owner, I would be inclined to say it depends more on the personality than the breed.

Ok, Thanks guys for all your suggestions, it seems though I wouldnt be able to get a dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Ok, Thanks guys for all your suggestions, it seems though I wouldnt be able to get a dog :(

I have retired greyhounds. Amazing, cuddly, lazy beasties! I'm out 10+ hours - but I can occasionally pop home on lunch hour to check on them.
    When it's warm they're out in the back garden, I put a doggy door in the shed and have an old 3 seater couch in there. In the winter I leave them indoors, they don't like the cold at all. I have a nanny cam so I can check on them, but they rarely even roll over on the couch - they're basically big cats.
    I never would have considered one as a pet but after researching breeds and speaking with a number of rescue centres they were ideal for my circumstances, they live in harmony with my cat and are both big goofy clowns, I don't think I'd consider another breed even if I was home full time :D

Whether or not greyhounds appeal to you contact one of the smaller rescues, tell them your circumstances and ask if they can recommend a dog for you. They might have an old dear looking for a quiet retirement home, or a dog coming from an environment where he/she is already used to being left alone for long periods of time. Ask if they'd be willing to let you foster for a week or two before fully committing.

victor8600 wrote: »
    To be honest OP 10 hours 5 days per week is too long to leave a dog alone...

A dog can survive 10 hours alone just fine. The important thing is to spend meaningful time with the dog, like walking together for at half hour every day, at least once. A few of my neighbours keep dogs in their backyards with poor beasts not seeing outside for weeks. Playing and setting rules are very important too, especially for a puppy.

But this isn’t about can a dog survive on 10 hours min alone per day it’s about quality of life and that’s is not a good quality of life. And tbh a half an hour walk daily in no where nearly enough meaningful time a day a dog needs .. most dogs need an hour per day outside the home walking and then other hours of human contact.

Just because dogs can survive on certain things doesn’t mean thier happy and content with just those things

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, that sounds nice , how many greyhounds do you have? I was thinking of whippets which are of the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

This is a subject that divides people.
    Personally I think you should talk to a rescue center and explain that you are looking for a dog that doesn't mind being on their own. I think puppies are a no go, but other than that it then comes down to the personality of the dog and you guys making sure that the dog is stimulated when you are there and especially if you have someone coming in during the day.

IMO being in a home is better than being in a pound or rescue center kennel situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

I have an elderly dog who sleeps 18 hours a day or so and does fine like that. Now, I have to rearrange all nonwork time around her.

If you look for a 14+ year old dog from a rescue, tell them why, they might have a dog who would be only too delighted to have a nice soft bed during the day and a lot of attention in the evenings. Ask if you could foster witha view to adopting?

• Advertisement

I would think so too, there are so many dogs living in the kennel with no place to go, granted they would be alone for 10 hrs alone (but with some break in between) but they would have atleast 4-5 hrs a day where we would be with them, walk with them play with them. Isnt that much better than staying in a kennel where they only get 1-2 hours a day attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are all dog owners retired or unemployed?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, that sounds nice , how many greyhounds do you have? I was thinking of whippets which are of the same family.

Currently three, we’d have more if we had a bigger couch!
    They were all over 2 years old when we got them, so pretty much out of the clingy puppy phase. They had spent a lot of time locked in barns prior to being rescued so were delighted to come home.
    Initially I wanted a husky, thankfully I done my homework and went with a more laid back breed! They get two 10+ minute walks a day, unless it’s raining-then they play dead when they hear their leads jingling!

But this isn’t about can a dog survive on 10 hours min alone per day it’s about quality of life and that’s is not a good quality of life. And tbh a half an hour walk daily in no where nearly enough meaningful time a day a dog needs .. most dogs need an hour per day outside the home walking and then other hours of human contact.

Just because dogs can survive on certain things doesn’t mean thier happy and content with just those things
    So you suggest I shouldnt get one? even with spending 4-5 hrs per day?

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Currently three, we’d have more if we had a bigger couch!
    They were all over 2 years old when we got them, so pretty much out of the clingy puppy phase. They had spent a lot of time locked in barns prior to being rescued so were delighted to come home.
    Initially I wanted a husky, thankfully I done my homework and went with a more laid back breed! They get two 10+ minute walks a day, unless it’s raining-then they play dead when they hear their leads jingling!
    So , as you suggest, It would be better to get 2 greyhounds ?

So you suggest I shouldnt get one? even with spending 4-5 hrs per day?

I think OP if your happy to pay for dog walker 3 days per week and the dog lives indoors with you guys and will be included in your family etc then yes you should look into adopting a dog.

If the dog will be left 10 hours alone / 5 days per week.. no dog walker ... then personally I wouldn’t

So , as you suggest, It would be better to get 2 greyhounds ?

I think it would be better. They’re great company for each other. They’re an non-shed breed and they’re (usually!) a delight to walk on the lead as they don’t drag - having two is really as easy as one.

Pop an email to <snip>, <snip> and <snip>, in my opinion they’re the 3 best greyhound rescues. <snip> were happy for us to foster with a view to adopt :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just a gentle reminder not to recommend individual rescues by name on-thread.
    You're more than welcome to make recommendations via pm.
    Thanks,
    DBB

DBB wrote: »
    Just a gentle reminder not to recommend individual rescues by name on-thread.
    You're more than welcome to make recommendations via pm.
    Thanks,
    DBB
    Oops, sorry about that - I just thought we couldn’t bad-mouth them by name!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Oops, sorry about that - I just thought we couldn’t bad-mouth them by name!

That was the cause of the ban many years ago... Not sure it's such a hot-bed of bitchiness any more, but them's the rules :o

Advertisement