Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird (cockatiel) breeder recommendations

Options
  • 07-08-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend, or point me to a register or other site recommending, cockatiel breeders? I've searched the forum but the existing threads are quite old and refer to resources that no longer exist (e.g. parrots.ie).

I'm based in the Clare-Limerick area but I don't mind traveling if needs be, even up to NI.

Has anyone had any experience with the Wag N Tails Pet Shop in Loughrea, Co. Galway? I'd be adverse to buying through a petshop but I can't seem to find that many people out there involved with parrots — it seems to be fowl for the most part.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Can anyone recommend, or point me to a register or other site recommending, cockatiel breeders? I've searched the forum but the existing threads are quite old and refer to resources that no longer exist (e.g. parrots.ie).

I'm based in the Clare-Limerick area but I don't mind traveling if needs be, even up to NI.

Has anyone had any experience with the Wag N Tails Pet Shop in Loughrea, Co. Galway? I'd be adverse to buying through a petshop but I can't seem to find that many people out there involved with parrots — it seems to be fowl for the most part.

Thanks in advance.

Yes the owner is a friend of mine. A family member got a Parrotlet from him and last week we collected our Indian Ringneck from him. He is a decent guy & very helpful. We drove from Dublin to collect him & he even did the dna test for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

I used to breed exhibition canaries years ago, and also had a few pairs of cockatiels. The main reason you won't find a lot of breeders of parrot like birds is that show wise they are or were classes as foreign birds and and not a lot could be won with them.
    So what you have is a few breeders in Ireland breeding parrots, cockatiels, ringnecks ect.

Over the years I lost contact will most breeders, though at the time Limerick was a strong area for bird breeders, I remember going to bird shows there. I also think there is a bird club or society in Clare.

Bird Shows in Ireland start next month and run until after Christmas. Waterford Cage Bird Society has a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterfordCageBirdSociety/

I would ask there if they know anyone nearer to you.

Also one of the main members of that club. is Alan Dempsey he was a breeder of birds and still is. He also sells bird food and equipment and supplies, he also has a business facebook page, he is well know in bird circles. Hes phone number is on the page, I would give him a ring to be honest. If he can get you cockatiels he will and they wont be rubbish.

I knew him years ago, and he is an honest guy that loves birds.

Hes Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/dempseypetsupplies/

During the show season , because he has a business related to bird keeping he travels a lot and could be near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Thanks lads, I'll give them a look in.

Advertisement