Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boeing 737 Range

Options
  • 07-08-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Yesterday on Flight Radar I saw a 737-800 flying from Milan to Dakar!
    It seemed it was a passenger route and the flight is approx 6 hours long.

I would have thought this was really pushing it for a 737 ?

I know they can fly across the Atlantic with no PAX, but am wondering about this, I should have looked more at the plane - maybe it was cargo but I'm not sure about FR history - edit - Just tried searching FR and no direct flights are found !
    Damn I should have taken a screenshot - but it was definitely a 737-800.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sure Norwegian are flying them across the Atlantic everyday from Ireland to Providnece and Stewart, and they take full load of passengers most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Locker10a wrote: »
    Sure Norwegian are flying them across the Atlantic everyday from Ireland to Providnece and Stewart, and they take full load of passengers most of the time

Really ? I thought Norwegian used the dreamliners for trans atlantic routes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Really ? I thought Norwegian used the dreamliners for trans atlantic routes

They and others (including Air Canada now) use 737 from Ireland; you have the range to get there. DUB-SWF outside New York is 2,743nm and the 738 can do 2,935. The MAX8 can do 3,550.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Don't forget RYR's Seattle delivery flights. Even though it's pax-free it's still quite a range for an aircraft of its size to go from Seattle to Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Milan - Dakar is 2284 Nm great circle, so within the range of a 737-800, and probably without any restrictions on the load, as it's well under the maximum range of the 800 as mentioned above.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Thanks guys!
    Some interesting stuff here allright!

Advertisement