Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full fat or low fat

• 07-08-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Let the games begin, what do you buy: Full fat or low fat milk.

My partner always buys low-fat, some habit he mindlessly took over from his folks but I think it's plain wrong. Anyway he usually wins and low fat goes into the cart.
    Today while shopping I bought full fat so screw him. Things are changing now at home.

Next thing is this awful spread he loves to buy that will go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

In cereal, I don't mind. In tea or coffee, I prefer full-fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I only take a drop to cool a coffee so it might as well be the low fat. Wouldn't taste the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Skimmed milk only here

almond milk.
    coconut milk in an occasional cappuccino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've seen some crap threads but this one is really milking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Omackeral wrote: »
    I've seen some crap threads but this one is really milking it.

How bloody dairy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'll have a Whopper, fries, Oreo Vanilla Milkshake with whipped cream and eh.... a Diet Coke, watching my sugar intake, on a diet.

Seriously, the amount of fat in a bit of milk you'd have in tea, don't get why anyone would have low or no fat milk, nor indeed avoid a little sugar when their guzzling fat as a main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I always buy low fat. I also only buy brown rice and whole-wheat pasta. It's what my mam bought so I prefer them over the alternatives, she messed up my taste buds by getting me young.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A 'cart ? WTF is a cart?
    Sounds like something used by the low fat milk brigade, or the people shopping in the 'Free from' aisle (if anyone wants to make their fortune, here is one for free(!) : sell empty boxes of 'food', guaranteeing it is free from absolutely everything. They will lap it up. (Zero calories! Fantastic! And no fat at all! Give me five boxes.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I only drink almond milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Full fat everything and real butter in this house. Low fat milk is like water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eviltwin wrote: »
    I only drink almond milk

And the sugar, emulsifiers, stabilisers etc they put in it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Lactose free semi skimmed milk here.
    I don't like the taste of real butter so I use spread. The other half buys a small butter for himself.
    We prefer full-fat cheese though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Full fat here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

fullstop wrote: »
    And the sugar, emulsifiers, stabilisers etc they put in it of course.

So? Didn't say I drank it cause its super healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Low fat milk is just watered down muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Full fat milk is really hard to find in the united states. Make of that what you will.

They have 2%, low fat, non-fat and 'half-and-half', the last of which I think is cream :confused:

Whole milk is healthier for you and tastes nicer. Win win.

So? Didn't say I drank it cause its super healthy.

So? I didn't say you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Full Fat protein milk for the gainz #FitFam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Full fat milk is really hard to find in the united states. Make of that what you will.

They have 2%, low fat, non-fat and 'half-and-half', the last of which I think is cream :confused:

Whole milk is healthier for you and tastes nicer. Win win.

The USA and processed, name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.

• Advertisement

Low-fat only. It’s what I grew up drinking at home and I much prefer the taste of tea with low fat milk as it’s what I’m used to.

So? I didn't say you did.

You seemed keen to go through the ingredient list for some odd reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Full fat in coffee, low-fat in tea. Dislike full fat in tea for some reason, tastes too rich or something. Don't give a toss with cereal.
    Block of proper butter, none of that spready shíte. Dip the knife into the tea to warm it up & melt the butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Damn, I forgot to say how I like my milk.

1306805871961.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Full fat!!

But it doesn't stop there!!

It has to come from the FULLEST, FATTEST cow in the field!!

Moooooooo mofos!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ice cold full fat avonmore poured gently over hand crushed end of box Kellogg's cornflakes let it sit for five minutes then add a sprinkle of sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

LirW wrote: »
    Let the games begin, what do you buy: Full fat or low fat milk.

My partner always buys low-fat, some habit he mindlessly took over from his folks but I think it's plain wrong. Anyway he usually wins and low fat goes into the cart.
    Today while shopping I bought full fat so screw him. Things are changing now at home.

Next thing is this awful spread he loves to buy that will go.

He only buys that low-fat shite for home so that you don't turn into a fatty boom boom

When he's out himself he drinks full-fat cream by the bucketfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I only drink almond milk

You ever seen a nipple on an almond?
    Too suspicious for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Protein milk or Super milk is bought in the house

I personally don't drink milk, can't stand the taste of it

• Advertisement

You seemed keen to go through the ingredient list for some odd reason.

Well, it's not milk, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Low fat and only the Centra one here for the others..I'd drink either myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

He only buys that low-fat shite for home so that you don't turn into a fatty boom boom

When he's out himself he drinks full-fat cream by the bucketfull

That sounds about right, yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

all full fat, all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's an odd one. The difference between full fat and low fat milk... would be very minimal over all if I was to reduce my fat consumption. So what's the end game with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Full fat. Low fat/skimmed is prison milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Top tip: Buy 1 litre of full fat milk, mix with 1 litre of water and you have 2 litres of low fat milk for the price of 1 litre :)

Well, it's not milk, is it?

Are you a dairy farmer?

Are you a dairy farmer?

Do I need to be to know that something containing 2% almond is not really 'almond milk'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'm fairly health conscious but I only eat/drink stuff that I like the taste of...... if I like something that's "bad" for you I have it in moderation, ie. if I'm drinking milk then I'm drinking milk, I would never bother with the healthier, but less appetising, alternative.

Pizza with a cauliflower base and low fat cottage cheese?? Get the f#ck!! A proper full fat cheese dripping pizza once in a blue moon, there is no alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Full fat milk, salted kerrygold

None of that low fat milk or unsalted kerrygold or even worse

If you are concerned about calories then just eat less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Normal milk for me and calling it full fat is silly, it's low fat or normal, both are fine but if you drink that yukky skimmed milk you've no taste buds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Full fat milk. Real butter.

I remember when myself and my boyfriend first moved in together I ask him to bring home butter and he came home with Flora. Yuck yuck yuck. I think the look on my face when I saw it made sure he didn't buy it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Greyfox wrote: »
    Normal milk for me and calling it full fat is silly, it's low fat or normal, both are fine but if you drink that yukky skimmed milk you've no taste buds

Or high cholesterol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Full-fat milk and Kerrygold butter. Occasionally that Prod stuff from Bandon - that needs more salt, but it's alright. "Spreads" and similar used transmission fluid-based Food Products are banned.

Full fat milk, butter (I used to think salted dairy butter was the shiz but then I bought sea-salted cultured butter and the bar rose), cheese, all dairy. The killers are simple carbs and especially sugars.

Low fat things are tasteless by comparison to me, and less satisfying.

I do love junk though, wish I didn't but I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Candie wrote: »
    Full fat milk, butter (I used to think salted dairy butter was the shiz but then I bought sea-salted cultured butter and the bar rose), cheese, all dairy. The killers are simple carbs and especially sugars.

Low fat things are tasteless by comparison to me, and less satisfying.

I do love junk though, wish I didn't but I do.

I like cheddars that drive vapour out through your eyeballs, you know the ones...

jimgoose wrote: »
    I like cheddars that drive vapour out through your eyeballs, you know the ones...

I love a decent Stilton. The kind that makes small children run from the fridge in horror. Chunks of Stilton eaten with slices of green apple. One of life's little pleasures. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Full fat dairy all the way.
    If it's 'light' milk, I just have to use more anyway.

Also, 'light' milk should be banned from workplace fridges.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I grew up in the '80's when low fat was all the rage. My health conscious Dad drunk powdered skim milk (just add water!) called Dairy Bawn (Anyone? Anyone?)

... with his sugar laden Alpen.

He survived though, and now drinks full fat goat milk. Progress.

Next task is to gently tell him that about that 'brown' bread he has always eaten? Well...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

I make my own hazelnut milk about twice a month (very easy to make any kind of nut milk), keep some for mostly tea and coffee and freeze the rest. Probably has more protein than those protein milk (more than eggs anyway). I also make coconut milk for curry these days if I've time.

I used to get milk that came in a glass bottle from jersey cows, and you could return the bottle, but they're not stocked where I used to get them anymore. Not vegan or vegetarian, nor an urbanite. Just never was obsessed with milk like what so many people here are like, damn you IFA :P - you'd get better calcium sources from green veg, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement