Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full fat or low fat

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

chite wrote: »
    I make my own hazelnut milk about twice a month (very easy to make any kind of nut milk), keep some for mostly tea and coffee and freeze the rest. Probably has more protein than those protein milk (more than eggs anyway). I also make coconut milk for curry these days if I've time.

I used to get milk that came in a glass bottle from jersey cows, and you could return the bottle, but they're not stocked where I used to get them anymore. Not vegan or vegetarian, nor an urbanite. Just never was obsessed with milk like what so many people here are like, damn you IFA :P - you'd get better calcium sources from green veg, etc.

Hazelnut milk sounds so good.
    Do you add any sweetener? Is it bitter at all?

I think I use milk for the lactose as much as the butter fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Low fat milk. I find it tastes better somehow and goes better with cereal which is the only thing I use milk for anyway. I'm full on the nut milk hype though. Proper almond milk with cereal or oats is hard to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Full fat milk, I think the low fat is very watery.

Sure we were all reared on full fat milk and we're all still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ill ask our cow and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

The lowest calorie option for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Low fat

Just because I suffer from GERD/Acid reflux and Hiatus Hernia in my stomach and now on gluten free + GERD diet

Yup life sucks,, I want to eat so much deep fried saucy high fat food and a feed of Beer without feeling my stomach is killing itself !

So ya low Fat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wally1990 wrote: »
    Low fat

Just because I suffer from GERD/Acid reflux and Hiatus Hernia in my stomach and now on gluten free + GERD diet

Yup life sucks,, I want to eat so much deep fried saucy high fat food and a feed of Beer without feeling my stomach is killing itself !

So ya low Fat

Google Amatsu therapist in your area . I too had severe GERD and a hiatus hernia and an Amutsu therapist can strengthen the muscle to tighten the stomach sphincter . I can PM you info if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hazelnut milk sounds so good.
    Do you add any sweetener? Is it bitter at all?

I think I use milk for the lactose as much as the butter fats.

Nothing added other than water for soaking beforehand, I find it grand. Can be a case of getting used to it initially like most things. Bonus points as I can use the ground up nuts to use in porridge or as a garnish on other food, nom!

• Advertisement

Full fat everything and I miraculously avoid obesity. If I'm going to have a bar of chocolate then it's going to be a proper one, not a kind of weight watchers type thing. The same with butter and milk. Mind you it's not often I'd have butter and I only take a splash of milk in tea and coffee. Still I just find that low fat versions of food is filled with weird flavour enhancers.
    There's even low calorie booze. Wtf like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

all the dairy in my fridge would be full fat.
    - i would rather go with eating less (full fat yogurt, butter - as i am not drinking milk) than getting low fat stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Full fat merchant here.

But it's hard to find yogurts that are full fat, they are all 0%, fat free or something like that. Full fat genuine Greek yogurts are the biz, keep you going for hours, it's the fat and the protein see. Use low fat/fat free and you're hungry again in five minutes.

Far from low fat we were reared anyway. Hairy bacon with fat rinds, spuds with butter and milk from Maisy the cow down the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

bluewolf wrote: »
    almond milk.
    coconut milk in an occasional cappuccino

Except those aren't milk because they didn't come from a female mammal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You ever seen a nipple on an almond?
    Too suspicious for my liking.

Your sister was always good at milking my nuts to be fair

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I prefer low-fat, nothing to do with fat content or calories, just taste, I would imagine that's true for most people who drink low-fat milk? I'm OK with skimmed too, but low-fat is the happy place.

You'd surely be as shredded as a bodybuilder if the balance of your calorie/fat intake hinged boiled on the odd splash of full-fat milk in your tea or cereal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 34 Redpatio

Full fat as it's tastes better and is better for your health. Fat is important for making vitamins and minerals bio-available. Also, contrary to mainstream advice, saturated fat from natural sources is generally good for your health.

What you should actually avoid is seed oils and most grains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Still warm in a tin bucket with a Daddy longlegs swimming about half dead in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Still warm in a tin bucket with a Daddy longlegs swimming about half dead in it.

With the smell of cow ****e in the air :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    With the smell of cow ****e in the air :D

Man do you guys paint quite the picture!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I had many a mug straight from the cooler in a dairy. Atin' an' drinkin'. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Full fat milk is the only option. Natural and with no list of ingredients or additives. In shops buying a coffee sometimes i find there is only a bottle of low fat milk on offer so I go and insist on getting a bottle of proper milk. And i am not obese or have blood pressure or such like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Candie wrote: »
    I love a decent Stilton. The kind that makes small children run from the fridge in horror.
    If you want a cheese to make small children run there's always casu marzu.

Recent scientific research seems to suggest that full fat dairy is neutral or beneficial for cardiovascular health. I'll take that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867544/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Put it this way: You can drink full fat milk and be happy or drink prison milk and be miserable. It's a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

We have been misled regarding the badness of fat.

The reality is that our body stores and uses fat for energy, so is very capable of dealing with it in food.

I have a diet consisting of 75% fat.

Put it this way: You can drink full fat milk and be happy or drink prison milk and be miserable. It's a no brainer.

Unless you prefer the low fat milk that is, my using low fat milk is purely down to preferring it the fact it’s a little lower in fat is just a bonus.

I usually use half fat butter as it’s the particular one I like but always full fat natural yoghurt as it’s eht I like and low fat yoghurts tend to have added sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

dmc17 wrote: »
    Top tip: Buy 1 litre of full fat milk, mix with 1 litre of water and you have 2 litres of low fat milk for the price of 1 litre :)
    Low fat milk is just watered down muck.

Not quite true. Reduced fat milk has slightly more calcium in it than whole milk because it's in water component rather than the fat. Essential vitamins like B12 are at about the same levels in whole or reduced fat milk. I'm fairly sure that watering it down reduces the mineral and vitamin ratio accordingly.

I'm not trying to make a case for reduced fat milk for what it's worth.

We have been misled regarding the badness of fat.

The reality is that our body stores and uses fat for energy, so is very capable of dealing with it in food.

I have a diet consisting of 75% fat.

75% of calories? How are your blood lipids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Unless you prefer the low fat milk that is, my using low fat milk is purely down to preferring it the fact it’s a little lower in fat is just a bonus.

I usually use half fat butter as it’s the particular one I like but always full fat natural yoghurt as it’s eht I like and low fat yoghurts tend to have added sugar.

There are huge myths around fat and its effects on the body. Drink full fat and throw away the prison milk. You'll be much happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    75% of calories? How are your blood lipids?

Yes of calories. I haven’t had my blood tested yet, am on the diet 2 months so must do soon.

It took a couple of weeks to adapt to it because I am a long distance runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Skimmed in tea, full fat in cereal, porridge and coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Full fat all the way for all products.
    Big meals and don't eat crap in between.
    All the sugar and insulin response isn't good for the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Low Fat, A nice chilled glass of Connought Gold, or Donegal Cremeries is delish. Just after one with a sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Protein milk my new fav

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

If I want a glass of milk it's full fat all the way... but I think low fat tastes better in tea.

Low fat. Not mad about creamy stuff. Also prefer diet drinks to full sugar ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Full fat milk.
    Butter.
    Full fat yogurt - the highest amount possible

Never have diet or low fat anything.
    I'd rather go without.

My sister is a low fat person. Have to buy my own milk if I am visiting her.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Full fat all the way for all products.
    Big meals and don't eat crap in between.
    All the sugar and insulin response isn't good for the body.

I do wonder about the insulinogenic properties of milk though:

"In a controlled study, researchers gave volunteers either a glass of skim milk or whole milk on different occasions and measured the increase in their blood sugar and blood insulin levels, as published in 2005 in the "British Journal of Nutrition." The results show that both skim and full-fat milk elicited similar responses in the blood sugar and insulin levels of healthy participants. Although a glass of milk, independently of its fat content, contains an average of 12 grams of carbohydrates, while a slice of white bread has about 15 grams of carbohydrates, the insulin index of skim and full-fat milk is just as high as that of white bread."

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/high-fat-dairy-raise-insulin-levels-1191.html

Advertisement