Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited to 10 POS debit card transactions in a 24 hour period

• 07-08-2018 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was recently in the UK and was trying to buy a train ticket at one of machines, when I got a notification that my card had been declined and to contact my bank. I rang the customer care helpline as listed on back of my Ulster Bank debit card. I was told the reason the card had been declined was that I had exceeded the card transaction usage limit , which was capped at 10 separate transactions per day and that I would have to wait until midnight before I could begin to use my card again. I was told this was specifically impossed by Visa Debit as a security measure. I can't find this listed as a stipulation anywhere online by either company.. anyone else encountered this.. is this unique to Ulster Bank? ðŸ¦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

A few years ago I had the same issue with an AIB visa debit, gave the missus the card to go to Penney's and to say she wasn't pleased was an understatement. I think I was still able to withdraw from the ATM but couldn't use the card for more purchases until the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I was actually able to find a post on Boards that brought up this very problem, with the person being with AIB, was on their talk to forum and was a few years ago as per here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057198558/1#post93261926

Is this still the case though? I have actually been able to find a policy document which lays out restrictions as applied to Ulster Bank Debit Cards, but it is ambiguous in that it says you may be limited to a certain number of transactions per day and it can be dependent on location.

I have spoken to others who don't seem to have experienced such an issue, which is why I am bit perplexed. If it's solely Ulster Bank now doing this I would like to change bank.. I thought entering your pin was a security measure, what's the point!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The security on various banks' cards seems to go into overdrive when you're abroad. Definitely yet another reason to use Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Thanks Dudara.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    The security on various banks' cards seems to go into overdrive when you're abroad. Definitely yet another reason to use Revolut.

I actually have a Revolut card, but currently having difficulty accessing it due to a number switch over, is there a number I can contact them on? Their app chat is frustrating to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's a bank decision not visa. Were they paywave transactions or chip and pin? I've seen banks impose a transaction limit on paywaves but chip and pin is go wild.

It's a bank decision not visa. Were they paywave transactions or chip and pin? I've seen banks impose a transaction limit on paywaves but chip and pin is go wild.

When you say paywaves, do you mean like contactless? All of them were chip and pin transactions, which makes the decision to block the card baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When you say paywaves, do you mean like contactless? All of them were chip and pin transactions, which makes the decision to block the card baffling.

Yeah contactless. A 10 transaction chip n pin limit is a bit of an odd one to me but then I'm in Australia where cards transactions are pretty much the way of life, maybe Irish banks are more restrictive? You wouldn't want to have been stuck somewhere.....

Yeah contactless. A 10 transaction chip n pin limit is a bit of an odd one to me but then I'm in Australia where cards transactions are pretty much the way of life, maybe Irish banks are more restrictive? You wouldn't want to have been stuck somewhere.....

That's the thing and I'm going to the US next month, so can't be dealing with that craic when I'm over there. I spoke to someone in AIB and they looked at me with incredulousness when I asked them if they imposed a transaction usage limit. Value limit yes, but not per use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement