Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for €1,000

Options
  • 07-08-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Doing another PC build. Mainly will be used for gaming, World of Warcraft, Battlefield, COD, etc... basically want it to play any game I throw at it comfortably and have a budget of 1,000 euro.

Just looking for feedback on the parts below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6ZMLw6

Total on Amazon comes in at €877.95

Looking to buy on Amazon, Komplett is where I usually shop but they are charging way too much for the parts this time.

Edit: Would I be better upgrading to Ryzen 7 1700 or adding another 8gb of RAM or just leaving it as it is?

Any feedback would be appreciated before I hit the Buy Now button :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'd strongly suggest you fill in the template if you want to try and get a better answer but this build seems odd!

1) Why Ryzen 1600 instead of the updated 2600?
    2) Why a mini graphics card?
    3) Why only single channel ram?
    4) Are you really hoping to only use a 240GB SSD? That's not really enough space.
    5) Why Windows 10 Pro? I don't think I'd bother buying windows at all and would just live with the little watermark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

minitrue wrote: »
    I'd strongly suggest you fill in the template if you want to try and get a better answer but this build seems odd!

1) Why Ryzen 1600 instead of the updated 2600?
    2) Why a mini graphics card?
    3) Why only single channel ram?
    4) Are you really hoping to only use a 240GB SSD? That's not really enough space.
    5) Why Windows 10 Pro? I don't think I'd bother buying windows at all and would just live with the little watermark ;)

As I said looking for a bit of feedback, if you think the Ryzen 2600 would be worth the upgrade fire away and I'll happily upgrade to it.

The mini graphics card is considerably cheaper, but again if the larger one is more of a benefit I'll happily change to it.

Single channel ram for future upgrade tbh, I have 8gb spare already from a current pc (2x4gb) so that will double up as 16gb.

Yes, for now. Mainly using it for Windows and possibly one or two games. Again I can upgrade or add another one in the future, have a 1tb drive spare also for other games.

Just had Windows 10 in there, I'll er, buy it yeah. Ha! Ignore the Operating System.

Cheers for the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 1600 was a lot cheaper some places recently, so that makes sense if that's the case. Ditto with the mini card - if it's the cheapest, that also makes sense, and the 1060 Mini actually gets quite good reviews so I'd say you're OK with that.

I wouldn't bother with an 1700 if it's a purely gaming machine. Ryzen 1600/2600 or Intel 8400 are both the respective sweet spots in that ballpark, 8400 faster in games but 1600 is 6 core/12 thread, 8400 is 6/6 - not really important now but might be in a few years down the line (might be; and if you plan keeping it that long).

Is your old ram DDR4 as well? Dual channel shows benefits over single channel, especially Ryzen, though it's not really going to have any perceivable impact on your games at the same time on a standard 60hz monitor.

SSD wise - games are getting obscenely large at this point, even older games now like Battlefield 1 and GTA V are both around 100GB each? So I'd say a 480GB is a good shout given how affordable they've become, but a 240GB primary drive and 1TB secondary/external will work fine.

Finally - monitor wise, no idea how good or bad that one is, but should be able to easily get a decent 75hz monitor for the same cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

The 1600 was a lot cheaper some places recently, so that makes sense if that's the case. Ditto with the mini card - if it's the cheapest, that also makes sense, and the 1060 Mini actually gets quite good reviews so I'd say you're OK with that.

I wouldn't bother with an 1700 if it's a purely gaming machine. Ryzen 1600/2600 or Intel 8400 are both the respective sweet spots in that ballpark, 8400 faster in games but 1600 is 6 core/12 thread, 8400 is 6/6 - not really important now but might be in a few years down the line (might be; and if you plan keeping it that long).

Is your old ram DDR4 as well? Dual channel shows benefits over single channel, especially Ryzen, though it's not really going to have any perceivable impact on your games at the same time on a standard 60hz monitor.

SSD wise - games are getting obscenely large at this point, even older games now like Battlefield 1 and GTA V are both around 100GB each? So I'd say a 480GB is a good shout given how affordable they've become, but a 240GB primary drive and 1TB secondary/external will work fine.

Finally - monitor wise, no idea how good or bad that one is, but should be able to easily get a decent 75hz monitor for the same cash.

Sorry for the late reply.

Ended up going for the 1600, could have gotten the 2600 but knowing my luck the mobo would have had to be flashed and I dont have a previous gen AMD chip to do so.

Ended up going for the ASUS 1060 6GB in the end also, saw some worrying reviews of the mini one to put me off it.

Yes my old RAM is DDR4 so I ended up getting the Ballistix Sport (2x4GB) and going to throw the other 2 from my PC in also (Happens to be the same make and model).

SSD, The 120GB one was cheap and cheerful for now, If I do need to expand in the future I shall, but for now I plan on keeping my games on a Mechanical HDD but again in the future I will probably upgrade.

Ended up going for a better monitor, one with a 75Hz refresh rate.

Thanks again guys for the feedback, happy out with the parts now to go test them.

Advertisement