Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Back from the game, brought one of my lads to his first trip and be enjoyed himself despite the result. Been up since 4am so I’m knackered.

Jose had the majority of the support of the fans at the ground for the entire game. It was prob the only satisfying thing, along with Shaw who looked brilliant. I missed one of the goals cause a sub was warming up in my view.

I recorded the Stretford end applaud and sing Jose’s name for a minute after the game. I stayed behind and it’s clear there are still a lot of united fans who remember the baron years and appreciate the work Jose is trying to do.

I think this is so important for us that Jose continues to get support. It forces the board to back him fully and not just hide behind the pathetic excuses being trolled out on their behalf the last 5 years. They dont match the ambition of the fans and that’s why I think most fans in the stadium back him. It’s also why he prob won’t leave or have a meltdown, I saw a very composed manager after the game.

Don’t care what the hyperbolic brigade say to be honest. If it’s a choice of backing the board who’ve fumbled around for 5 years, prioritized their own preferred signings, taken out hundreds of millions from the club or a proven manager they have undermined , I’m with the manager .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

niallo27 wrote: »
    I was banned for no apparent reason, well there was really but **** it **** happens, I'm back now.

Great to see you back pal. Good timing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As Neville said last week, they should have figured out in the summer whether they were going to back him or not and if not, then the relationship should have been terminated. Instead they did neither one nor the other and so we're stuck with a manager that hasn't got the signings he wants, nor backing from the club hierarchy.

Try using a more honest analogy involving central defenders and rival clubs.
    What? So it's only specific positions that you aren't allowed replace if not doing well? Keepers you dam swap seasonally? How about forwards?

Klavan and matip, klopp shoukd have been told to stick with them over signing VVD? Been told lovren was one of the best around so he should show faith in him?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Talk of Rodgers is largely trolling by Liverpool fans.

It’s vital that we stick together.

Fergie would have been sacked in those first four years if it was now.

I hate this "dismiss a thought because its a liverpool fan" nonsense. I'm not one for trolling. I laid out the negatives of him in my own original post, i'm not saying he'd be a world beater, but of people that might be available, I think he'd be better than some people will give him credit for. Especially on a 1 season contract - which I think he'd have the ego to take on.

And, as I said, I don't expect Jose to get sacked for at least another 6 or 7 league games regardless.

It’s a thought designed to be inflammatory; Rodgers failed at Liverpool and is failing at Celtic. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and Brendan Rodgers shouldn’t be allowed near the place. If we wanted Klopp, we could probably have him, but we’re better off sticking with Jose. Substance tends to trump style.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s a thought designed to be inflammatory; Rodgers failed at Liverpool and is failing at Celtic. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and Brendan Rodgers shouldn’t be allowed near the place. If we wanted Klopp, we could probably have him, but we’re better off sticking with Jose. Substance tends to trump style.

How is Rodgers failing at Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because I don't see a road currently that doesn't end that way.

Feels,like the only way he keeps his job is if the board do the same as Moyes and LVG and basically dawdles their way through the season. The board told him to do one in the summer with his transfer targets, and now the miserable start on top of it? Players briefing they are waiting for him to be sacked. How do you not think he is on the way out now?

Meh nobody knows what's actually going on at the club.

Journo's can make up one thing other things are assumed as pressers.

There were positives to take from the first half today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Did he not win back to back trebles tbf?

Not that it's so hard. I'd have probably managed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Would you ever **** off your a little pesticide,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Mourinho making an absolute show of himself in the post-match interview before walking out.

"We lost 3-0, three the same number of Premierships I have, more than the other 19 managers put together, respect, respect, respect."

We're at pantomime levels now.

Embarrasing and childish from him. He can't see past his own ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Loughc wrote: »

Big fish in a tiny pond. European football is showing them up for what they are.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

Rodgers won't fix your defense. He's clueless in that regard. Doubt he'd be considered anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Big fish in a tiny pond. European football is showing them up for what they are.

Still hardly failing. Won every domestic trophy he could for them.

Abject failure in Europe, spending on wages gone through the roof (circa £35m to £50m) with no real return. League win analagous to Conor McGregor beating up Michael D Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Any chance a mod can let us know when it's ok to start abusing rival fans?

The rules are not very clear these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He's absolutely a worse manager when looked at in a vacuum, but is he worse than the current "shroud of negativity/spite/bitterness" version of Jose? Hard to know. It's almost certain that - pound for pound - whoever replaces Jose will have an inferior record overall, so it's kind of pointless. He's not going to get sacked for what he can do at his peak, he's going to get sacked for what he does when he's at a low ebb.

And I'm not fkin trolling - I said he's not good enough for what you aspire to, and that you'd hate him on principle, but he's a manager who has done well previous in the league, has progressed since leaving, plays good attacking football, and might be available. A few games into a season, very very few managers of any quality are around.

Your suggestion is to replace Mourinho with Brendan Rodgers. Have a think about that objectively for two minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Its about the best fixture we could hope for !

Europa league is really stretching their squad and they've made a poor start in the league.

They have another European game Thursday night.

Not a huge commentor on this thread but it is really really sad that I think the same and this is the way I think about Burnley away. Don’t get me wrong, Burnley away is never easy but to hope that a Thursday night European game squeezes them in order to give us a chance really puts the reality into this season 3 games in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What? So it's only specific positions that you aren't allowed replace if not doing well? Keepers you dam swap seasonally? How about forwards?

Klavan and matip, klopp shoukd have been told to stick with them over signing VVD? Been told lovren was one of the best around so he should show faith in him?

Karius was signed for £4.75m. Bravo for £17m.

Bailly cost £34.2m, Lindelof cost £31.5m, Dalot was £19m. The reported figures for Jose's targets before the window shut were £50m+. Perhaps now you can see why your analogy of "but those other clubs ousted their keepers" might not go down well with a club that's told to fork out a much larger amount of money by a coach also telling the club he doesn't trust the guys he told them would solve the problems a year previously.

And Klavan cost €5m. Matip was a free transfer.

Try not to answer this question with a question: can you not understand the board being wary of trusting the judgement of a man who has been given big money on defenders and doesn't seem to be able to fix the defensive issues?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Back from the game, brought one of my lads to his first trip and be enjoyed himself despite the result. Been up since 4am so I’m knackered.

Jose had the majority of the support of the fans at the ground for the entire game. It was prob the only satisfying thing, along with Shaw who looked brilliant. I missed one of the goals cause a sub was warming up in my view.

I recorded the Stratford end applaud and sign Jose’s name for a minute after the game. I stayed behind and it’s clear there are still a lot of united fans who remember the baron years and appreciate the work Jose is trying to do.

I think this is so important for us that Jose continues to get support. It forces the board to back him fully and not just hide behind the pathetic excuses being trolled out on their behalf the last 5 years. They dont match the ambition of the fans and that’s why I think most fans in the stadium back him. It’s also why he prob won’t leave or have a meltdown, I saw a very composed manager after the game.

Don’t care what the hyperbolic brigade say to be honest. If it’s a choice of backing the board who’ve fumbled around for 5 years, prioritized their own preferred signings, taken out hundreds of millions from the club or a proven manager they have undermined
    , I’m with the manager .....

It's amazing how people can spout absolute tripe to themselves like this and believe it, and it gets thanked. The Glazers have invested half a billion on players.

There are alternate realities on boards.ie

• Drumpot wrote: »

I recorded the Stratford end applaud and sign Jose’s name for a minute after the game. I stayed behind and it’s clear there are still a lot of united fans who remember the baron years and appreciate the work Jose is trying to do.

Don’t care what the hyperbolic brigade say to be honest. If it’s a choice of backing the board who’ve fumbled around for 5 years, prioritized their own preferred signings, taken out hundreds of millions from the club or a proven manager they have undermined , I’m with the manager .....

Hope your young lad enjoyed it all the same.
    Good to hear your thoughts from the stand amongst all the trolling and ****e

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »

Would you ever **** off your a little pesticide,

Interesting...

Still hardly failing. Won every domestic trophy he could for them.

Still the suggestion that United should consider him as a manager is laughable, and that's not just because he's a former Liverpool manager.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Embarrasing and childish from him. He can't see past his own ego.

It's all part of the script, unfortunately. I posted in here a few weeks ago that it wouldn't be long before we see a meltdown and it's happening even faster than I imagined. When you have someone as toxic as him within a club where it's all going downhill then you have to cut him loose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beno619 wrote: »
    Meh nobody knows what's actually going on at the club.

Journo's can make up one thing other things are assumed as pressers.

There were positives to take from the first half today.

Sorry, thats BS. "No one knows whats happening" and "positives from first half" is literally the definition of burying your head into the sand. Do those positives put points on the board now?

That's exactly what I called earlier too; trying to poo-poo everything away by focusing on 45 minutes.

Given the manager is 3 years in, and the team are all settled, long term players, trying to dismiss a negative preformance where we were spanked at home as "there were positives in the first half" is a really naive response tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Fair play, you put some effort into typing that, but I am too lazy to even try reading it.

Jose Out - Rodgers in :D

giphy.gif

Still the suggestion that United should consider him as a manager is laughable, and that's not just because he's a former Liverpool manager.

Oh he’s no where near good enough to be united manager. Rotherham United maybe.

But he never failed at Celtic though.

• Advertisement

Any chance a mod can let us know when it's ok to start abusing rival fans?

The rules are not very clear these days.

I think we have to wait untill after 12 when all the re regs pretend fans have gone to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,985 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Really doubt Jose will be going for at least another 6 or 7 league games, regardless what happens. Has to at least be given 1/4 of the season.

Only Zidane is available of the proper caliber, and I doubt he'd take it. Otherwise... Rodgers has been complaining about the board at celtic a bit, could probably get him. Though I'm sure Utd fans would hate it. Far from ideal for what Utd aspire to, but I daresay he might do better than a lot of the other options that might be considered.

Zinedine Zidane might if offered a good deal of money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jose’s a dead man walking imo. Not a matter of if but when.

The depressing thing is there is so much else that needs to be addressed at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The first worry for me was Jose not shipping Jones out when he arrived at United. For a defensive minded coach, tolerating crap defenders is the last thing you expect. Since then, Jones has done nothing but get worse and is clearly beyond coaching. Lindelof is clearly not fit for the PL and a complete waste of money. Bailly wasn't played when he was fit in the latter part of last season. Now he seems to be a shadow of the player he was in his first season, confidence ebbing away. Of course playing with muppets in defense isn't helping him.

Further outfield we had the disaster of Mikitaryn disappearing in season 2 and a player who was clearly gutless for the physicality of the PL. Him pulling out of tackles was an embarrassment to watch. The biggest annoyance for me was signing Sanchez because I saw no need for it. Martial had won 3 player of the month awards before Sanchez arrived last year and Sanchez's arrival ruined his season. Meanwhile Sanchez remains the highest paid waste of space in the PL. Pogba looks better in the slower, less physical sphere of international football or the Italian league. But for us? I'd gladly take the money from Barcelona for him right now.

Looking at that group of players alone, tells me Jose has made some bad decisions. He's signed some rubbish and tolerated rubbish in the squad. So I'm not going to blame Woodward for the team woes. Because we can't keep wasting money on players who aren't good enough or end up being benched. I also agree with him if he didn't want to pay big money for players hitting or getting past 30 years of age. Neville was spot on post match. 3 years in and you get the feeling that Jose still doesn't know his best formation or best starting 11.

The only man I would want coming in now is Pochettino, but he's under contract until 2021. And for the talk of Zidane? Fcuk no. He took over a peaking team full of superstars and the physicality and speed of the PL is something he has no experience of. So we stick with the manager for now and let him see out his contract. And if he wants new defenders? Then let him sell off the rubbish we have first. Blaming the Board for Jose's bad signings or reluctance to ship out crap players isn't the fault the Board, it's all on Jose. So no point in him moaning because he made the bed he's lying on.

Hope your young lad enjoyed it all the same.
    Good to hear your thoughts from the stand amongst all the trolling and ****e

He did actually have a good night. Got him a scarf and hat and he’s happy out.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how people can spout absolute tripe to themselves like this and believe it, and it gets thanked. The Glazers have invested half a billion on players.

(a) it's not their money, it's the club's money. The Glazers have done nothing but suck money out of the club like the leeches they are.

(b) Half a billion pounds over the last ten years doesn't cut it. Pep inherited a much stronger squad than Jose did, City have invested wisely for years while the Glazers strangled the club in the latter Fergie years and didn't back Moyes. By the time LVG came in the squad was in a shocking state and he didn't buy wisely.

Bailly cost £34.2m, Lindelof cost £31.5m, Dalot was £19m. The reported figures for Jose's targets before the window shut were £50m+. Perhaps now you can see why your analogy of "but those other clubs ousted their keepers" might not go down well with a club that's told to fork out a much larger amount of money by a coach also telling the club he doesn't trust the guys he told them would solve the problems a year previously.

Try not to answer this question with a question: can you not understand the board being wary of trusting the judgement of a man who has been given big money on defenders and doesn't seem to be able to fix the defensive issues?

Why do you keep saying dalot he hasn't played and reportedly one bought for the future.

You making up arbitrary lines about costs and positions to back up your point when it's simple the board should have bought the players he wanted or not given him a new contract a few short monthscagp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rodgers is an unequivocally worse manager than Mourinho. Mother of Jaysus. I guess this thread will be trolled for the next few days and nowt will be done about it as per

He's absolutely a worse manager when looked at in a vacuum, but is he worse than the current "shroud of negativity/spite/bitterness" version of Jose? Hard to know. It's almost certain that - pound for pound - whoever replaces Jose will have an inferior record overall, so it's kind of pointless. He's not going to get sacked for what he can do at his peak, he's going to get sacked for what he does when he's at a low ebb.

And I'm not fkin trolling - I said he's not good enough for what you aspire to, and that you'd hate him on principle, but he's a manager who has done well previous in the league, has progressed since leaving, plays good attacking football, and might be available. A few games into a season, very very few managers of any quality are around.
    How has Rodgers progressed since leaving? Winning a no mark league with the biggest budget and no real competition while also doing nothing in Europe, he's a spoofer. And I say all that as a Liverpool fan. Utd should stick with Jose, they gave him a contract and should honour it and back him. Or else get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Your suggestion is to replace Mourinho with Brendan Rodgers. Have a think about that objectively for two minutes.

*shrug* We obviously have different impressions of who Rodgers is... he had his downs with Liverpool, but he also gave me the absolute best league season I've ever enjoyed as a fan.

I already outlined why he wouldn't be put up for it, largely due to Utd/Liverpool nonsense, but of the very very very very few people that are potentially available, yee could do worse.

Of course he's several levels below peak Mourinho, but so is current-Mourinho.

Anyway, I didn't think it would be a popular suggestion, but I didn't think I was going to be accused of trolling either, so, i'll stop talking about it regardless.

No, in all fairness you are in good company as a couple of fans were mouthing about Jose but they f**ked off 15 minuets early before the game finished.

I suppose some fans can only support the team/manager when it’s winning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

*shrug* We obviously have different impressions of who Rodgers is... he had his downs with Liverpool, but he also gave me the absolute best league season I've ever enjoyed as a fan.

I already outlined why he wouldn't be put up for it, largely due to Utd/Liverpool nonsense, but of the very very very very few people that are potentially available, yee could do worse.

Anyway, I didn't think it would be a popular suggestion, but I didn't think I was going to be accused of trolling either, so, i'll stop talking about it regardless.

The season after Rodgers gave you that great season, Mourinho won the thing. Mourinho has literally had a more relevant season more recently than Brendan Rodgers has.

Rodgers is a spoofer. Always has been. One good season ever lead by the 3rd best player in the world and nothing of note before or after.

This is mind boggling and had to be a wind up

• Drumpot wrote: »
    No, in all fairness you are in good company as a couple of fans were mouthing about Jose but they f**ked off 15 minuets early before the game finished.

I'm honestly not sure what the options are.
    There are multiple issues at the club currently.
    Someone making a logical assesment of the situation and taking all aspects into context would see this like alot of the true fans I chat to on it.

The rival trolls and certain glory hunters in the mix make it harder for honest discussion.

Me personally, sacking Jose currently without adequate replacement isn't the answer even if he is pushing it that way with some of his demeanor.
    He fights the press on everything and we know they are vultures getting worse by the minute which doesn't help.

But that doesn't address the issues across the board with senior leadership and with some of the players.
    The long term issues of cutting the ****e out of the squad quicker and the lacklustre transition when other clubs have moved much quicker however we look to be slowly spiralling like Arsenal did for example.

On Jose again, he was never my first choice but as a fan always willing to give someone a chance.

He did inherite the mistake of Moyes followed by a butchering by Van Gaal and lacklustre signings but that's on the leadership team also.

I don't know at all. It's worrying times as a Utd fan. But again for multiple reasons and not just managerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Considering you backed a manager who set the club back years all the way to the end its rich for you to be spouting on about alternate realities.

You hate Mourinho and can't judge his work objectivly, we get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He had Suarez on fire and Sturridge uninjured.

When Suarez left the wheels came off as everyone predicted.

Celtic is the upper echelon for him.

If they don't trust the manager then don't give him a new contract. Don't keep him empolyed.

Also, how do we know bailly and lindelof were not signings the club didn't agree to? We are bring told that the list of cbs the club went after this summer were drawn up by the scouting department. How do we know bailly and lindelof weren't on a similar list of young cbs with potentially that could prove good value which Jose agreed to?

Why is it we have to accept the club made the transfer decisions this summer but just did what Jose wanted previously?

Maybe the scouting department share some blame.

Maybe you need to accept that some signings don't work out.

At the end of the day, by your argument we are now trusting the football judgement of Woodward over Mourinho.

Even if we say he has to stick with bailly and lindelof, why are we lumping him with smalling, Jones and Rojo too. Can we not look to replace those wasters too or do we need to hang on to the signings of Fergie and LVG as well? Oh, and Darmian.

• Advertisement

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas for liverpool fans. I'm genuinely curious what pool fans would think about Klopp if they ended this season without a trophy aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Utd did want him but Klopp turned Utd down. Read Here.

Ferguson confirmed this as well on US TV when asked about Klopp's Liverpool appointment and said he was afraid he'd bring success to Liverpool.

Drumpot wrote: »

What the hell has that got to do with anything I've said. I'm like a fan who walks out early? I only support the team when theay are winning? I have been do OT many times and never left early and watched every game for the past god knows how many years.

Honestly don't have a clue what your trying to say. You managed to follow up on some awful tripe with even worse drivel.

• It's beginning to look a lot like christmas for liverpool fans. I'm genuinely curious what pool fans would think about Klopp if they ended this season without a trophy aswell.

Tbh don't encourage it. It's bad enough already

It's beginning to look a lot like christmas for liverpool fans. I'm genuinely curious what pool fans would think about Klopp if they ended this season without a trophy aswell.

Enjoying the football matches you watch goes a long way imo.

My biggest gripe with United is just how horrible the matches are to watch most of the time. We play possibly the most boring football in the league so often. Slow, plodding football.

beno619 wrote: »
    Considering you backed a manager who set the club back years all the way to the end its rich for you to be spouting on about alternate realities.

You hate Mourinho and can't judge his work objectivly, we get it.

Which manager are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

this! ferguson would have these players playing in a coherent manner.

Most of them perhaps.

He also would have ****ed some of them out on their ass and by doing so laid down a very clear marker to the rest as to what was acceptable.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Rebel doesn't do trolling, but Rodgers is a terrible suggestion in seriousness. No discussion warranted as it's not going to happen anyhow.

Utd fell apart in the end, but for 45 mins actually looked much improved. Burnley away on Sunday should be a kind fixture given their travails so far, but if I were a utd fan my biggest concerns would be Sanchez looking totally lost still, no sign of the defensive cohesion that was evident more often last season, but more so that their doesn't seem to be any joined up plan to improve or implement a decent style. Too many people going missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Conte is 5/1 with some bookies Zidane 2/1 Conte no tomato sauce and 0600 hour training, yeah that'll teach those unruly players.

• Advertisement

Tbh don't encourage it. It's bad enough already

They don't need no encouragement man. I'm genuinely curious about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement