Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Worst case scenario is 3rd and then we do like a few seasons ago and win the EL. We should honestly be beating Valencia to second spot.

Worst case scenario is 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Dave0301 wrote: »
    When are the fixture dates finalised for the CL games?

Have tickets for October 23rd/24th but need to sort travel etc.

It should be up within 2 hours of draw

However its nearly 3 now but they should be out soon I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Young Boys (a) 19th Sep
    Valencia (h) 2nd Oct
    Juventus (h) 23rd Oct
    Juventus (a) 7th Nov
    Young Boys (h) 27th Nov
    Valencia (a) 12th Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It should be up within 2 hours of draw

However its nearly 3 now but they should be out soon I would reckon.

They are up now. Juve at Old Trafford...I'll take that :pac:

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1035268361247186945

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Whartons have Young Boys for €99 day trip for anyone who's thinking of bringing the kids. Long day travelling but cheap as chips and the kids love the boat trip too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Back to back Juventus games and away in Spain on the final game. Tricky.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Back to back Juventus games and away in Spain on the final game. Tricky.

Chelsea away and city away around the same time as the 2 juventus games as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Want to see at least 7 points from the first three games. Don't want the team heading to Turin needing a victory.

Juve have to be favourites. I'd be wary of Valencia too. They've good attacking players in Soler, Cheryshev and Mina, while Guedes and Batshauyi were great signings. They can cause problems. I hope qualification is wrapped up before the last game at the Mestalla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Better get Zidane in soon to give him a head start before the CL starts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nobody has ever said we have a team of Sunday league players, that is a straw man commonly used by the anti Mourinho brigade.

The problem is we have a team that was the second best team last year, and will be the 3rd or 4th best this year. Calling for a new manager to “get the players going”, to do what exactly? They beat 18 other teams last season in the league, but were second to a far superior City side, we hit our ceiling, City’s is beyond ours and tactics don’t change that.

No manager in the world would have changed the events that unfolded last season, any new manager is going to need 300-400 million investment to challenge for the title, so in reality the manager isn’t the problem.

Provided he hasn’t lost the dressing room (which could result in missing top 4) and he doesn’t walk away, the board are probably delighted with how Mourinho is doing. It would explain the new contract he got. I know some will view it as tinfoil hat stuff but in the last 10 years it seems we have transitioned to a point where we are a business first and a football club second, top 4 seems to be the goal on the pitch, confirmed by the lack of ambition this summer. How long will brands want to associate with a media laughing stock is the billion dollar question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

. How long will brands want to associate with a media laughing stock is the billion dollar question.

Well the cowboys are the biggest sports brand in American football and they are 23 years and counting since their last Super Bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

. How long will brands want to associate with a media laughing stock is the billion dollar question.

Well the cowboys are the biggest sports brand in American football and they are 23 years and counting since their last Super Bowl

Well said and well put.sir Alex is 5 years gone now and we are still global.just goes to show we would top the charts if we were presently winning major trophies.

But we have a massive fan base and through thick and thin we will always be United United United................

United have always had a huge following even when Liverpool were winning all around them in the 80s.

Some people just loved the Romance of what the club was about.

Nobody has ever said we have a team of Sunday league players, that is a straw man commonly used by the anti Mourinho brigade.

The problem is we have a team that was the second best team last year, and will be the 3rd or 4th best this year. Calling for a new manager to “get the players going”, to do what exactly? They beat 18 other teams last season in the league, but were second to a far superior City side, we hit our ceiling, City’s is beyond ours and tactics don’t change that.

No manager in the world would have changed the events that unfolded last season, any new manager is going to need 300-400 million investment to challenge for the title, so in reality the manager isn’t the problem.

Provided he hasn’t lost the dressing room (which could result in missing top 4) and he doesn’t walk away, the board are probably delighted with how Mourinho is doing. It would explain the new contract he got. I know some will view it as tinfoil hat stuff but in the last 10 years it seems we have transitioned to a point where we are a business first and a football club second, top 4 seems to be the goal on the pitch, confirmed by the lack of ambition this summer. How long will brands want to associate with a media laughing stock is the billion dollar question.

A media laughing stock? We are the media's dream club. Brands would be throwing themselves at us to give us sponsorship deals. We are the biggest and most well known club in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Guys looking for a bit of advice I’m looking to he’s over to the match on the 23rd shadings Juventus but I’d like to go over and back the same day -what’s the best way to do this ? Never done same day travel for champions league game , have my season ticket so tickets not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Going right for For who exactly ?

Value of club shooting up in spite of how poorly team is doing on field...

I don’t get fans being happy about this. I don’t support the clubs share price I support the team and what it used to represent.

I don’t blame Jose because he is doing what he does. And for those that do blame him the book still stops at the owners who hired him.

If you take over a billion out of the club you can take responsibility for how it’s players/managers are doing on field. You can also feck off with the “united needs to be prudent with spending” excuse. No it doesn’t , that’s just people who have bought into the “value” nonsense that shouldn’t exist for the worlds most valuable club.....

Ironically I don’t want marquee signings and I don’t believe Jose does either. And that’s my problem. He wants functional experienced players and the club won’t sanction them because the club prioritizes what enhances the brand, not necessarily the first team.

Sanchez hasnt been called up to chile squad. Good for us i suppose

Drumpot wrote: »
    Going right for For who exactly ?

Value of club shooting up in spite of how poorly team is doing on field...

I don’t get fans being happy about this. I don’t support the clubs share price I support the team and what it used to represent.

I don’t blame Jose because he is doing what he does. And for those that do blame him the book still stops at the owners who hired him.

If you take over a billion out of the club you can take responsibility for how it’s players/managers are doing on field. You can also feck off with the “united needs to be prudent with spending” excuse. No it doesn’t , that’s just people who have bought into the “value” nonsense that shouldn’t exist for the worlds most valuable club.....

Ironically I don’t want marquee signings and I don’t believe Jose does either. And that’s my problem. He wants functional experienced players and the club won’t sanction them because the club prioritizes what enhances the brand, not necessarily the first team.

Some great logic right here

I'd imagine its better in general that we are making huge profits instead of not doing so. Its almost so baltanatly obvious that it doesn't need saying.

Imagine being so anti Woodward/Glazers and jumping on a post about how profitable the club is. Would you rather we were not proitable so there was less then say half a billion to re-invest in first teams players like has been done thus far?

And the icing on the cake "I don’t blame Jose because he is doing what he does." You don't blame him for the dour tepid style of football? for us letting in 7 goals in three games? for us having to turn into Stoke in the last 20 mins of some games and lumping it up to Fellaini? For playing Herrera as CB? I could go on

No, lets ignore all this, the club making profits is meh who cares.

Jesus wept, there is being pro Jose and then there is this.

• Advertisement

Guys looking for a bit of advice I’m looking to he’s over to the match on the 23rd shadings Juventus but I’d like to go over and back the same day -what’s the best way to do this ? Never done same day travel for champions league game , have my season ticket so tickets not an issue.

Flying over or you near Ferry?

Your best bet is to get flight home. Usually a flight around 11ish(pm after game) from Manchester into Dublin.

I have only done it few times though that way and all have been 3 or 5.30 ko.

But its a risky one too know few who have missed the flight due to traffic etc. Any chance you could come home next morning (7am or before)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Your best bet is to get flight home. Usually a flight around 11ish(pm after game) from Manchester into Dublin.

But its a risky one too know few who have missed the flight due to traffic etc. Any chance you could come home next morning (7am or before)

Last flight I see for the 23rd is at 10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Last flight I see for the 23rd is at 10pm

Fly outta Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Drumpot wrote: »

Nonsense. Of course the club should be prudent with how it spends its money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CL games are 8pm KOs this year, so it'll probably be after 10pm leaving the ground. He's not making any flight into Dublin at that time.

I say morning after is your best bet 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Speaking of tickets, been living in Manchester 6 months now, got my first tickets for the United vs Derby match. First competitive match I'll have been to :D

Nonsense. Of course the club should be prudent with how it spends its money.

Well I mean who needs to act with care when spending money? I guess Glazers and Co didn't get the memo to read boards beacuse the real financial experts reside here. Next up merger advise.

Well I mean who needs to act with care when spending money? I guess Glazers and Co didn't get the memo to read boards beacuse the real financial experts reside here. Next up merger advise.

Seriously, do you ever not post in a condescending manner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

astradave wrote: »

Loves a bit of appeal to authority dripping with condescension myself on a Friday morning :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Fly outta Liverpool?

:eek:

I think you mean Merseyside :p

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Young Boys (a) 19th Sep

Lots of Young Boys running round in shorts, that's the kind of team we like playing.:P

latest?cb=20140226153841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Drumpot is right in that the Glazers sucked a billion pounds out of the club, City have been investing steadily for years and United are somehow supposed to overhaul them by spending less and relying on players which weren't good enough in the Fergie and LVG eras and who haven't improved with age.

Glazers will turn the club into Arsenal, as long as it's top 4 (most) years and making profits in a nice stadium they won't care about anything else.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Forget Zidane, Woodward will be our next manager

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1035448892786176000

I extend others the same cuortsey they extend me. Thats why the thread is full of it. If it hurts your feelings maybe your a bit too sensitive for the internet.

https://twitter.com/timessport/status/1035437785845559296?s=21

The actually article from the above tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It feels like the article is yet another Ed briefing - this time with the intention of showing him and jose have a great relationship and the squad are happy... but the headline of 'Woodward attending more training sessions as concern grows' is just a terrible image, and the opposite of what I guess Ed was trying to put out there.

He needs to stop briefing the press, imo.

None of his briefs are having a positive effect.

1. Would have bought Varane - a laughable assertion.
    2. Didn't like Jose's targets - why the f is he judging them.
    3. Attending training (you're not a coach, ed) as concerns grow - along with all the 'happy with Jose' comments - is that a Vote of Confidence?

It feels like the article is yet another Ed briefing - this time with the intention of showing him and jose have a great relationship and the squad are happy... but the headline of 'Woodward attending more training sessions as concern grows' is just a terrible image, and the opposite of what I guess Ed was trying to put out there.

He needs to stop briefing the press, imo.

None of his briefs are having a positive effect.

1. Would have bought Varane - a laughable assertion.
    2. Didn't like Jose's targets - why the f is he judging them.
    3. Attending training (you're not a coach, ed) as concerns grow - along with all the 'happy with Jose' comments - is that a Vote of Confidence?

And then the reports of him going into the dressing room after the Burnley game while Jose was talking to the press ( while it is probably innocent and done a lot, the fact is that it was put out there in a negative light)

And then the reports of him going into the dressing room after the Burnley game while Jose was talking to the press ( while it is probably innocent and done a lot, the fact is that it was put out there in a negative light)

Why doesnt the manager ban him from the dressing room and training ground then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drumpot is right in that the Glazers sucked a billion pounds out of the club, City have been investing steadily for years and United are somehow supposed to overhaul them by spending less and relying on players which weren't good enough in the Fergie and LVG eras and who haven't improved with age.

Glazers will turn the club into Arsenal, as long as it's top 4 (most) years and making profits in a nice stadium they won't care about anything else.

City have been funded by money, from an area of the world using sport to increase the name value and reputation of their country.

The Glazers have taken over United and also used the club for their self interest. Of course they took money out, they got the club earning money for a reason.

The money, on its own, is not why City are doing better now than United. They are getting rewards for planning the football side as well.

City gained ground by spending a lot. United spent a huge amount to gain ground post LVG.

I would like more players like most fans, yet I can't get on board with the idea the club should spend or commit to overspending in the short term.

One example of why is is the TV revenue, it increased so much that it can't be assumed it will continue to rise or even stay the same. BT have already become less aggressive in their need to have EPL rights.

:pac:

Go on show us how it’s done, Try ban your boss from anywhere..

• Advertisement

Ban the ceo of the club????!!!

:pac:

Go on show us how it’s done, Try ban your boss from anywhere..

Wait, I thought Jose was the take no sh1t type who puts the team first? You mean he can't request private meetings with Woodward? or that the real reason we are playing so poorly is not managment but that Woodward appears at training or in the dressing room and it throws Jose right off his job?

Poor guy, literally everything going wrong for Jose. No transfers *cough millions spent" and Woodward is destroying training sessions now. Poor guy never stood a chance.

The excuses just keep coming day after day. Its quite simple, the buck stops with the manager in regards how the team is playing. Potch didn't get any new signings and has a net spend of about £50m during his time at Spurs. They are three wins out of three because Spurs are simply better coached with an actual gameplan and style.

Jose still doesn't seem to know his best starting 11 or formation in his 3rd season. The excuse makers can just get lost honestly. We have a hugely flawed, petulant, egotistical and arrogant manager who simply isn't doing a good job. All your revisionisim is nonesense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Show us on the doll where Jose touched you.

bangkok wrote: »
    Ban the ceo of the club????!!!

I dont really see the problem with Jose doing his job and Woodward being at either places, my point is if Jose does he should tell him its effecting the team and request he not do either.

Again, its a deflection from the LUHG crowd for Jose's failings. He has the team all week at training and Woodward does nothing to undo all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wait, I thought Jose was the take no sh1t type who puts the team first? You mean he can't request private meetings with Woodward? or that the real reason we are playing so poorly is not managment but that Woodward appears at training or in the dressing room and it throws Jose right off his job?

Poor guy, literally everything going wrong for Jose. No transfers *cough millions spent" and Woodward is destroying training sessions now. Poor guy never stood a chance.

The excuses just keep coming day after day. Its quite simple, the buck stops with the manager in regards how the team is playing. Potch didn't get any new signings and has a net spend of about £50m during his time at Spurs. They are three wins out of three because Spurs are simply better coached with an actual gameplan and style.

Jose still doesn't seem to know his best starting 11 or formation in his 3rd season. The excuse makers can just get lost honestly. We have a hugely flawed, petulant, egotistical and arrogant manager who simply isn't doing a good job. All your revisionisim is nonesense.
    FFS - you bang on about Jose apologists but you are just as bad. Everything is his fault according to you.

I'm absolutely fed up with the inability of people to apportion blame to more than one thing.

The board have failed Jose, Jose has failed the player and the board, the players have failed Jose and the board.

There is plenty of blame to go around and plenty of people deserving plenty of blame for plenty of things.

Don't absolve any of them of their part to play in this mess.

Are the players playing to their best? No.
    Are all the players of sufficient quality? No.
    Is Jose getting the best out of our quality players? No.
    Is the board backing him to replace the players he deemed not good enough? No (this summer more so than previous summers).
    Has Jose been unquestionable in the transfer market? No.
    Should we persist with poorly performing players for the duration of their contract cause we spent good money on them? No.
    Have United as a club demonstrated it is working to a long term strategy? No.
    Are the structures in place to have United running as best as they can on the football pitch? No.

If Jose was sacked in the morning would it be without merit? No, imo it would not be because of failures that are all his own.
    If a new manager came in tomorrow morning would it fix everything? No, imo it would not becaure there are too many players that are simply not good enough and need to be replaced, regardless of who the manager is.

The idea that Jose is blameless is idiotic, but so is the idea that it is all on him. He has won the title 3 times in England. He has won the title in Portugal and Spain and Italy. He has won the CL twice. He hasn't suddenly become the worst manager ever. He isn't suddenly a moron. There are more factors in United not doing well than just Jose.

Where have I ever said that Jose is faultless

FFS - you bang on about Jose apologists but you are just as bad. Everything is his fault according to you.

I'm absolutely fed up with the inability of people to apportion blame to more than one thing.

The board have failed Jose, Jose has failed the player and the board, the players have failed Jose and the board.

There is plenty of blame to go around and plenty of people deserving plenty of blame for plenty of things.

Don't absolve any of them of their part to play in this mess.

Are the players playing to their best? No.
    Are all the players of sufficient quality? No.
    Is Jose getting the best out of our quality players? No.
    Is the board backing him to replace the players he deemed not good enough? No (this summer more so than previous summers).
    Has Jose been unquestionable in the transfer market? No.
    Should we persist with poorly performing players for the duration of their contract cause we spent good money on them? No.
    Have United as a club demonstrated it is working to a long term strategy? No.
    Are the structures in place to have United running as best as they can on the football pitch? No.

If Jose was sacked in the morning would it be without merit? No, imo it would not be because of failures that are all his own.
    If a new manager came in tomorrow morning would it fix everything? No, imo it would not becaure there are too many players that are simply not good enough and need to be replaced, regardless of who the manager is.

The idea that Jose is blameless is idiotic, but so is the idea that it is all on him. He has won the title 3 times in England. He has won the title in Portugal and Spain and Italy. He has won the CL twice. He hasn't suddenly become the worst manager ever. He isn't suddenly a moron. There are more factors in United not doing well than just Jose.

I agree with a lot of what you said except bold. The preformaces stop with him, the last three. If anyone thinks a new CB would have made a worlds of difference is wrong. Spurs could have had 5-6 goals, there were multiple times three attackers were running on two defenders, a new CB doesn't sort that or our limp attacking.

I just lay most of the blame with Jose. Its quite clear and yes there are some that call Jose a proven winner and call for Woodwards head, so yes its a reality and opinion to deal with.

If we had 2 CB the first 2 goals ain't happening.

We most likely go on to win or very worst get 0-0.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I agree with a lot of what you said except bold. The preformaces stop with him, the last three. If anyone thinks a new CB would have made a worlds of difference is wrong. Spurs could have had 5-6 goals, there were multiple times three attackers were running on two defenders, a new CB doesn't sort that or our limp attacking.

I just lay most of the blame with Jose. Its quite clear and yes there are some that call Jose a proven winner and call for Woodwards head, so yes its a reality and opinion to deal with.

The right CB solves this easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

https://twitter.com/timessport/status/1035437785845559296?s=21

The actually article from the above tweet

Fergie or Charlton might need to step in and tell Woodward to stay out of the football side of things. That is a crazy report and terrifying if true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement