Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Crazy to think this time in 2 weeks the CL is back, can't wait!

https://youtu.be/vJbg3Ur3FZc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bangkok wrote: »
    Early days but he has been fantastic.

Dare i say it, like a new signing

He's been good but fantastic is pushing it.

I'd hold out on making a judgement until April ,he needs to have a good season not 3 games .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

yabadabado wrote: »
    He's been good but fantastic is pushing it.

I'd hold out on making a judgement until April ,he needs to have a good season not 3 games .

I get people being hesitant to get their hopes up but why can't we call it as it has been for Shaw so far?

He has been our most consistent performer and one who's actually showing effort on the pitch. I wouldn't classify fantastic as pushing it at all.

Also I never understand when people say to hold off the judgement, and wait until the end of the season. I think it's fair to judge his current form and compliment it. This isn't making a judgement overall about him and United but his current contribution.

When a player has a string of 4-5 terrible games I doubt many take the opinion of wait until the end of the season to make a judgement.

I get people being hesitant to get their hopes up but why can't we call it as it has been for Shaw so far?

He has been our most consistent performer and one who's actually showing effort on the pitch. I wouldn't classify fantastic as pushing it at all.

Also I never understand when people say to hold off the judgement, and wait until the end of the season. I think it's fair to judge his current form and compliment it. This isn't making a judgement overall about him and United but his current contribution.

When a player has a string of 4-5 terrible games I doubt many take the opinion of wait until the end of the season to make a judgement.

Some of the reaction to rashfords red card at the weekend was ridiculous as well...

"Shouldnt play for the club for months"

"Braindead"

Etc etc

Some of the reaction to rashfords red card at the weekend was ridiculous as well...

"Braindead"

Etc etc

I've been moving the last number of days so haven't really been on boards. Think the break was good for my stress :P

A nice little international break now to hopefully cool us all down.

"Braindead"

Etc etc

Meh, reaction during a game or in the near aftermath is just that...reaction.

If someone still holds those opinions a few days later, I'd challenge them, but to just drag up shít now said during the heat of a matchday seems pointless and/or looking to incite people. Especially when the person you were replying to wasn't even talking about Rashford or his red in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Any word yet on how Bardsley avoided punishment? You'd still have neutrals coming in and questioning that for weeks if it was the other way around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

"Braindead"

Etc etc

Did one of our players Kung fu kick that Crystal Palace knacker again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I seen worse reactions in here over a players haircut or choosing to drive a particular car to training it's the internet it's full of bulsh1tters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Liam O wrote: »
    Any word yet on how Bardsley avoided punishment? You'd still have neutrals coming in and questioning that for weeks if it was the other way around...

Bardsley has always been a thug and has always had an eye on getting his own back against United for not being given a place in our first team. He gave as good as he got, both players deserved a red, although we've all probably done worse than touch foreheads on a football pitch.
    The foul he committed was callous and deliberate, he set out to injure Rashford and I can understand his reaction to an extent even though it wasn't the cleverest thing he could have done.
    I would have thought United would make an issue of it.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    I seen worse reactions in here over a players haircut or choosing to drive a particular car to training it's the internet it's full of bulsh1tters.

I dont believe anyone would have trouble anyone with that sort of thing surely not, next you will be telling me people post links taking the piss out of the clothes they wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

"Braindead"

Etc etc

Tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"Braindead"

Etc etc

It’s absolutely amazing how you go missing after a good result for a few days and then start spouting noncence again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If you think it's fantastic that's fair enough, I dont .
    His current form is good as Iv said but 3 games is nothing really in the grand scheme of things.

I wouldn't hype up a player after 3 good games nor write some one off after a handful of terrible ones. I doubt many sensible fans would either.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on with that director of communications role?

Underlining issues with the press is probably the obvious answer but you never really know.

Never really came across the role before, has anyone got any insight into what it’s all about?

This has all come out really right at a time when relations between the club and media is probably at an all time low, probably just want to have someone in there to mend relations maybe.

Seriously hate the international breaks, nothing really to chat about, we are left feeding on scraps :pac: anyone heading over for the wales game?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

astradave wrote: »

Underlining issues with the press is probably the obvious answer but you never really know.

Never really came across the role before, has anyone got any insight into what it’s all about?

This has all come out really right at a time when relations between the club and media is probably at an all time low, probably just want to have someone in there to mend relations maybe.

Seriously hate the international breaks, nothing really to chat about, we are left feeding on scraps :pac: anyone heading over for the wales game?

Quick Google search on it says this.
    A director of communications is responsible for managing and directing an organization's internal and external communications. Directors of communications supervise public relations staff, create communication strategies, and may serve as the key spokesperson and media contact for the organization.

A director of communications may also be called a public relations manager, communications director, or press secretary.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads the role is a nothing role that could be filled about 10 times a day at any other club it's just the guy that reported it here I smell a bit of sarcasm of him.

It’s absolutely amazing how you go missing after a good result for a few days and then start spouting noncence again..

I was in ireland for the weekend at electric picnic. Got smashed and just getting back now to normality

I was in ireland for the weekend at electric picnic. Got smashed and just getting back now to normality

You must have had a **** time at EP the amount of time you spent posting in here the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is a normal role, that the club have had for a long time. The last person, Phil Townsend was there 14 years and left for UEFA over the summer.

You must have had a **** time at EP the amount of time you spent posting in here the weekend

Brilliant actually. Should give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

:D:D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bad form that you didn't hit us up for beers :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is a normal role, that the club have had for a long time. The last person, Phil Townsend was there 14 years and left for UEFA over the summer.

Good stuff, thought it was a new position they where making, that’s better to know I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

DM_7 wrote: »

That's a decent read it just goes to show how much football has changed in a relatively short period of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I hope you cleaned up after yourself and brought home your tent?

yabadabado wrote: »
    If you think it's fantastic that's fair enough, I dont .
    His current form is good as Iv said but 3 games is nothing really in the grand scheme of things.

I wouldn't hype up a player after 3 good games nor write some one off after a handful of terrible ones. I doubt many sensible fans would either.

Like I said from what I've been seeing, and I could be well wrong, people have been praising his current form in the opening 4 games. If you don't think he's been fantastic that's fine, just for me he's been the only player who has played out of skin every game.

Most fans are cautious about building up expectations but still have been praising him. Which he's rightly earned.

My point is why when people praise his current form does the argument that we should hold off on praise until he's done it for an entire season, if a player has been playing awfully for the opening games it is discussed and criticized, I've never seen anyone say hold off until the end of the season before we criticize his form. That's not writing someone off. No matter how the season pans out it wont change how well he's started it.

For us now it's just a case of hoping he can carry it on going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Like I said from what I've been seeing, and I could be well wrong, people have been praising his current form in the opening 4 games. If you don't think he's been fantastic that's fine, just for me he's been the only player who has played out of skin every game.

Most fans are cautious about building up expectations but still have been praising him. Which he's rightly earned.

My point is why when people praise his current form does the argument that we should hold off on praise until he's done it for an entire season, if a player has been playing awfully for the opening games it is discussed and criticized, I've never seen anyone say hold off until the end of the season before we criticize his form. That's not writing someone off. No matter how the season pans out it wont change how well he's started it.

For us now it's just a case of hoping he can carry it on going forward.

I agree, he deserves credit when he’s doing well. This isn’t implying he will have an awesome seen and everything is grand.

I remember Shaw’s start to the season when he did his leg in. He looked like he was going to be a superb full back. I’ve always clinged onto that on some level. I saw him up close myself when I was at the spurs game and I was impressed.

I think if we believe Shaw and Jose (he’s playing him isn’t he?) then they both think Shaw can be a great United first team wing/full back. He has the speed and ability to sneak in behind a defence so there is no reason he can’t be like a new signing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Pogba: "We (Mourinho) have a pure coach-player relationship, that’s right. One thing I can assure you - I will always give 100 percent, no matter who the coach is, I always give everything for United, I cannot say more.

Quit spouting off to the media and it might help improve his contribution to the team.

Seems like he is gearing things up for a move sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Quit spouting off to the media and it might help improve his contribution to the team.

Seems like he is gearing things up for a move sooner rather than later.

It's a serious and crucial time for the club. That's stating the obvious.

Since Ferguson has left, we have watched a title winning team disintegrate, quality players lose their way, and the club becoming a bit of a graveyard for careers, where initial hope is finished with gutted disappointment.

If Pogba left, literally whichever way anyone shapes their personal opinion on it, it's a disastrous situation for the club. What was for the last numbers of years an ability to maybe brush it off as player issues (Di Maria, Memphis, Schneiderlan, Martial) becomes a real problem for the club, that quality players arrive and regress, and is United an attractive destination for top players anymore.

Sanchez has been utter dirt since he arrived. Martial blew the league away when he arrived and has stangnated. Rashford became a sensation in a week and is at the point where a lot of fans are asking is he another Welbeck.

Mourinho is part of it, but not the entire part of it.

United if it's not careful, will become a club where it's amazing for players to raise their own profile, secure global exposure and really progress their own interests, but a stepping stone for when it comes to establishing their football credentials, moving onto Barca, Real or Bayern, or potentially other English clubs.

People can 100% have their opinions on wether Pogba is good, worked out, flop whatever, but don't think there is any debate that if he left it's an absolute calamity for the club.

And probably to be honest the final nail in Mourinho's coffin, if there wasn't enough already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

By the way only discussing this morning.

Mourinho mentioned end of last season that a new assistant would be coming in. He wouldn't say who, but said we will all know who it is, as it's someone he worked with before. Rumours were Lampard.

Did nothing ever come of that in terms of a conclusion or did everyone move on from it and forget?

Pretty sure it's not Carrick or McKenna, so the manager appears to be operating without a designated no.2 ? Or is it working out now McKenna and Carrick are like both doing it in unison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

TheDoc wrote: »
    By the way only discussing this morning.

Mourinho mentioned end of last season that a new assistant would be coming in. He wouldn't say who, but said we will all know who it is, as it's someone he worked with before. Rumours were Lampard.

Did nothing ever come of that in terms of a conclusion or did everyone move on from it and forget?

Pretty sure it's not Carrick or McKenna, so the manager appears to be operating without a designated no.2 ? Or is it working out now McKenna and Carrick are like both doing it in unison?
    He said NO assistant as no one could the job Rui used do. Instead several people will take up Rui’s numerous jobs within the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sooooooooo John Terry anyone ??

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/727953/Manchester-United-news-John-Terry-decision-sign-Gossip-Chelsea-Aston-Villa-Jose-Mourinho/amp

Anyone??

I realize there are other links saying we have no interest in him, which I hope are true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

yermandan wrote: »

He's living in fantasy land. He has been abysmal this season, nobody was surprised when he missed his penalty at Burnley, he's a big time Charlie and has been the weakest player in our worst run in a generation, Fellaini outplayed him at the weekend, if he wants to play games over his future he needs to be producing the goods to begin with.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sooooooooo John Terry anyone ??

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/727953/Manchester-United-news-John-Terry-decision-sign-Gossip-Chelsea-Aston-Villa-Jose-Mourinho/amp

Anyone??

I realize there are other links saying we have no interest in him, which I hope are true

Even if they sign him, he can't be registered until Jan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

paulbok wrote: »

Is he a free agent? They can still be registered.

It won't be happening though, as that link also seems to suggest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Free agents can be registered once there is a place in the team and they became free agents before the close of the registration period 9/8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

paulbok wrote: »

If there is space in the 25 man squad submitted to the Premier League you can sign and register a free agent. Otherwise you wait until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So if Pogba leaves again, could he be described as a busted flush for United?
    A big reputation but never delivered on a consistent basis.
    Look back through the history of the club and hard work along with the flair was always expected. Ronaldo was indulged to a degree but he delivered the goods and never went missing in games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So if Pogba leaves again, could he be described as a busted flush for United?
    A big reputation but never delivered on a consistent basis.
    Look back through the history of the club and hard work along with the flair was always expected. Ronaldo was indulged to a degree but he delivered the goods and never went missing in games.

Its all Jose's fault.

Pogba is clearly a royal flush but Jose folded the hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wouldnt miss Pogba one bit. Dont care how much talent he has. Hes not producing and I honestly think the team would be better off without him and someone else in there instead.

Theres only so long you can indulge a player waiting for him to produce.

He just aint a great player for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fed up listening to Pogba with his not so subtle moaning and discontent in the press. Sell him in January. Fed up with his disrespect of the club.

nullzero wrote: »
    He's living in fantasy land. He has been abysmal this season, nobody was surprised when he missed his penalty at Burnley, he's a big time Charlie and has been the weakest player in our worst run in a generation, Fellaini outplayed him at the weekend, if he wants to play games over his future he needs to be producing the goods to begin with.

abysmal me hole...

he was nomintated for our player of the month for August and was motm in first game of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

When it comes to the most talented player at the club, he’s up there around the top. When it comes to most dispensable player at the club, he’s also up there around the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Suppose we’ll just have to wait and see if Woodward wants to sell him and if he does, who Woodward will want to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I will always give 100 percent, no matter who the coach is, I always give everything for United, I cannot say more.”
    The effort he must have used to keep a straight face while saying that is more than he has used in some United games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

would sell him and January and use the money to sign Eriksen from Spurs, he has only this and next season left on his contract at Spurs, would be an excellent signing for us..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement