Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Do a comparison so with dembele, jordan henderson, gundogan, ramsey and fabregas. Players who more or less played same position as him last season all from the top clubs

I gotta ask

Are you Paul Pogba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

astradave wrote: »
    I gotta ask

Are you Paul Pogba?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Assists can be such a bull**** stat, if its a 30 yard cross field pass or through ball far enough, but it equally could be a 2 yard pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Do a comparison so with dembele, jordan henderson, gundogan, ramsey and fabregas. Players who more or less played same position as him last season all from the top clubs

Shows how much you know about football that you think he plays the same position as those! If it was the 1980s you could class them all as Centre midfielders but in 2018 theres several positions envolved!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Shows how much you know about football that you think he plays the same position as those! If it was the 1980s you could class them all as Centre midfielders but in 2018 theres several positions envolved!

Who would you say he is more comparable then to based on his averag position last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No

ApprehensiveBoldGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beno619 wrote: »
    That's twice after positive results, twice after the bull**** in the press had settled down.

Yet you'll still have posters in here deflecting by blaming Woodward/Mourinho.

It's not deflecting. It's our opinion on the situation.

Some people want Pogba sold and believe he is no good and a total waste and money better spent elsewhere.

Others believe Mourinho should go, because he squanders talent like Pogba and the squad would be achieving more under different leadership.

It's not deflection, its called a difference of opinion. And in a case like this, no one can really claim to be "correct" so it's just sharing points for each side.

Nobody should need to rely on stats to judge a player. If you can't see how mediocre Pogba has been the majority of the time for United then there's no point in discussing football with you because you don't know much about it.

Hi there.

Appears I don't know much about football.

Could you explain to me why our team can't play any constructive football and look clueless when we move into the final third?

If you could also help me with Pogba. So I saw him playing as one of the worlds best CM's with Juventus, then he came to us and splutters a lot. Then I saw him win a World Cup with France and be a real leader, come back to United and seem out of sorts.

If you could also help me understand why no player bar one, has improved under this managers guidance.

Some pictures or diagrams might help me

Thanks

Wow people are going for the jugular over this.

So can you enlighten everyone to Pobga's position and comparable players?

Cause a lot of us are under the impression he has operated for 18-20 months at as one of a DM two, and in the tail end of last season moved to play on the left of a midfield three but with restricted license

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Not involved with the use of the stats but I always jump up at a chance to reply to these sort of comments.

Stats are used to support people's opinions of a player. It's simple. A reference. Yes they don't paint to whole picture but opinions are subjective and hard to challenge or defend without some sort of proof, other than I saw it with my own eyes.

I don't see why some fans hate stats. They definitely like I said aren't to be solely relied on but so many, especially here, are dismissive of them.

Also to claim someone isn't worth time to discuss football with, because their opinion differs to your own, comes across very arrogant.

People belittle stats because it showed up their shortcoming with regards knowledge of the game.

The old "using your own eyes" is fine if you actually understand and comprehend what your watching, and don't put bias into effect.

Take me and Michael Carrick for example. I would use the "using my own eyes" argument plenty, but the reality was I'd only see the bad he was doing, and not provide any praise for the good.

So to have objective discussion or to arrive at any sort of factual/accurate consensus, of course you need statistics.

It's another example of football dragging its hole into any form of modern thinking. And dismissing statistics or data driven analysis, is not even laughable in 2018. It's just sad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Quality of the statistic is important.

The quality of statictics most if us here will have access to is poor and I imagine the ability to make a meaningful conclusion from a lot of raw data we see is also poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

no point in discussing football with you because you don't know much about it.
    Shows how much you know about football

Mod:
    Stating a conclusion your audience is going to disagree with is only going to alienate them more. Please refrain from condescending remarks like these. By all means point out how silly an opinion or idea is but keep the commentary constructive and civil.

To put it another way, even if a poster is 100% absolutely wrong about something (and in this sport that's always going to be subjective) it doesn't mean they know nothing about the rest of the sport. Such superlatives claiming a person is clueless about everything to do with the sport just aren't helpful and will only serve as an incendiary to the discussion.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's not deflecting. It's our opinion on the situation.

Nope sorry it is.

This is purely about Pogba's blatent dissent and the negative focus he keeps putting on the club everytime he opens his mouth, you completely ignored the actual issue and moved the direction of the conversation to "the club cannot keep top players".

I actually don't disagree with your sentiment overall but you've blatantly ignored the issue at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pogba has been decent so far. Some games great, some games bad, most games solid. I think the disconnect for people that think he has been really poor relates to his price tag and what they expect relative to that.

I don't agree that he was amazing at Juve either. Maybe better than what he is showing for us but he wasn't giving world record transfer fee performances either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ian Wright sums up my feelings right now...

"They had a brilliant result against Burnley and had a chance to calm it down, but he's (Pogba) stirred it up again (with his interview). I'm getting tired of it myself, I need him to get on with playing."

"If Pogba leaves in January, and we look back at his CV at what he's done in the Premier League would you say he's been brilliant here? For me he's still got a lot to prove, he's not done it here for me. He's not done it consistently enough, and him coming back with a World Cup Winner's medal has given him a false sense of security in thinking that 'I'm bigger than this now'. I'm not happy and we need to see more from him because of what he's capable of doing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pogba has become more of a problem for us than Jose at this stage. He is clearly agitating for a move and his filth bag agent is only ever waiting for a sniff of the next big switch to net himself another lump of cash.

Even if Jose leaves, I get the impression that Pogba will want his move to Barca or Real sooner rather than later. I honestly feel it's an inevitability, particularly with that agent.

As for some people who might claim that if it comes down to a mourinho or Pogba situation that the manager should get the road, I think that would be utter madness. What kind of precedent would that set for the incoming manager?

If Pogbas contribution to United was like Messis to Barca or Ronaldo to Madrid then fair enough, you have a case for the player having that amount of power but that's not the case here.

I'd prefer if we sold him for as much as possible rhis summer and spent the money on players who will offer more to the team in terms of application, work rate and dedication on a more consistent basis.

Mourinho being the manager or not, I would be truly astonished if Pogba is still at Utd in 3 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ian Wright sums up my feelings right now...

"They had a brilliant result against Burnley and had a chance to calm it down, but he's (Pogba) stirred it up again (with his interview). I'm getting tired of it myself, I need him to get on with playing."

"If Pogba leaves in January, and we look back at his CV at what he's done in the Premier League would you say he's been brilliant here? For me he's still got a lot to prove, he's not done it here for me. He's not done it consistently enough, and him coming back with a World Cup Winner's medal has given him a false sense of security in thinking that 'I'm bigger than this now'. I'm not happy and we need to see more from him because of what he's capable of doing!"

UEFA cup team of the year.

UEFA CUP!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Crazy but Pogba ain't the only problem in the club, Jose is a problem too if he can't get the players pulling together pogba is just a big part of that problem even if he was sold unless he is a real bad apple in the dressing room he won't magically change the team.

Understandably Pogba is just taking focus off the other problem is have for him to become the main scapegoat of the condition things are in now.

Nearly every other member of the team has not performed at some stage or an other over the past six months and that's not just down to pogba.

This day next week we play Watford we need everyone pulling together playing for the team going to be a difficult game.

Stupid international football I hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

UEFA cup team of the year.

UEFA CUP!!!!!!!!!

I thought you were discontinued:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jayo26 wrote: »
    Crazy but Pogba ain't the only problem in the club, Jose is a problem too if he can't get the players pulling together pogba is just a big part of that problem even if he was sold unless he is a real bad apple in the dressing room he won't magically change the team.

Understandably Pogba is just taking focus off the other problem is have for him to become the main scapegoat of the condition things are in now.

Nearly every other member of the team has not performed at some stage or an other over the past six months and that's not just down to pogba.

This day next week we play Watford we need everyone pulling together playing for the team going to be a difficult game.

Stupid international football I hate it.
    Yep. People focusing on one thing as the problem is ignoring the massive problems pretty much everywhere at the club.

Shaw Rashford and Lingard all start for england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Shaw-Rashford

Man United 1 - 0 Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ed get that boy Shaw a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Goal by Rashford from a stunning assist by Shaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

then Shaw at fault...oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shaw, with great defending followed by what looked like a very heavy touch on the counter followed by a sublime pass followed by a foolish decision to dive in with an attempted tackle.

DDG's shot / goal ratio must be abysmal since the start of the summer.

• then Shaw at fault...oh dear

Lol

• De gea

Or Dr Gea

Ridiculous save

Great reactions but rashford should have given him no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

While de gea is not having a great few months does anyone think he won't be back to his best??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dr Gea. Best post ever

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Dr Gea. Best post ever

#neverforget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not looking good for Shaw here, last thing he needed, looked to go out cold after that hit. Hopefully it's precautionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Shaw injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

poor chap

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

This is why I hate friendlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

What happened shaw lads? Don't tell me it's serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Jesus, poor Luke Shaw.

Not showing the replay must mean its not good news.

Fingers crossed it's not so severe.

• Advertisement

• Ffs

Can't believe that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What happened shaw lads? Don't tell me it's serious

Didn't see the challenge but left with an oxygen mask. Sky haven't even shown the replays. Devasted for him. Hope he's not too badly hurt.

Didn't see the challenge but left with an oxygen mask. Sky haven't even shown the replays. Devasted for him. Hope he's not too badly hurt.

Ah ffs the poor fella. That's so unfair

https://streamable.com/4wvg5

The incident in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He went into Caravajals shoulder with a bit of pace, looked to go straight out and was treated on the pitch for a while. No replays and the England bench looked worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Was that a fencing response?

Possible concussion if so.

Looking at that there I'm hoping it's just concussion. I can't figure out what Carvajal was trying to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/4wvg5

The incident in question.

Oddly, it looked like the contact with the floor was the worst bit. Seemed to bounce back up.

Did they say he was onto his family on the phone saying he's OK?

Edit: Apparently so.

• Advertisement

Yeap, Martin Tyler says he's awake and texting people to say he's grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement