Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Julez wrote: »
    If we sell Pogba for a big fee and then go chasing a midfielder every chairman worth his salt is gonna Daniel Levy the shout of us.

Do they think United are short of a few bob now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do they think United are short of a few bob now?

Yeh I do wonder why people are bothered with this sort of stuff. Liverpool used some of the Coutihno money to break the world record for a keeper and a central defender.

This whole “united has to be careful on how it spends money” narrative is ridiculous. It’s the most valuable club in the world, if there is one club that should be able to spend a few more quid for a primary target it’s united....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You can also outbid any club wage wise because your financials aren't lopsided like many other clubs. Simply put you can easily complete with any club* in spending power and blow them out of the water if needs be.

*Clubs affiliated to nation states not included

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reality is even if Pogba stays, we'll be charged a small fortune for players. Pogba going or not, SMS is going to cost 100-120m :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Reality is even if Pogba stays, we'll be charged a small fortune for players. Pogba going or not, SMS is going to cost 100-120m :/

Bayern probably get him for free ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »

And we dont want to pay big anymore so yeah. We just have to keep making do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm surprised we didn't know about pogba move to us a lot sooner seeing as we have a man on the inside at juve

Just on pogba

Awful shame

When he has kante in the team to do all the hard work he is incredibly good

If he has to make an effort he is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Happy Birthday Ronnie Wallwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

v2geij1htgl11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

'Shaw out of Man Utd's Watford clash'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11494866

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

bangkok wrote: »
    'Shaw out of Man Utd's Watford clash'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11494866

Was looking forward to seeing him and Dalot tearing down both wings. Hope we see it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And this is how we see Young become the first choice LB again. Oh well, was fun have an attacking left footer while it lasted!

And this is how we see Young become the first choice LB again. Oh well, was fun have an attacking left footer while it lasted!

I think its different this time and feels different. Shaw will be straight back in the team the next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think its different this time and feels different. Shaw will be straight back in the team the next game

If is isn't, then no chance of him signing any new contract offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Agreed. You've mentioned his man of the match awards from last season but none of those performances were nearly as good as what he's produced so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't think that article is correct, features quotes from Southgate after the game on Saturday, is based on no new information so could have been published Saturday night (although I don't think Shaw will play at the weekend).

The mandatory rest period is at least 6 days and not a "mandatory seven-day period recovering" so technically he could be back playing on Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mandatory is not good enough. He should not be playing this weekend, significant head injuries need better care than the mandatory number.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Mandatory is not good enough. He should not be playing this weekend, significant head injuries need better care than the mandatory number.

I disagree.

He should not play this weekend if the correct tests are performed and he is deemed to require further rest.

If the correct tests are performed and indicates he is suffering no issues and there is no need for him to miss the game at the weekend, then why miss the game at the weekend?

Whether he plays or not should be based on actual medical tests and results, not either mandatory minimums or your opinion that a head injury requires longer by default.

De Gea, Pogba, Matic and Lukaku nominated for FIFA Pro world 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Luke Shaw is back at Carrington

The left back was pictured arriving at the training ground this morning where he will be assessed by United’s medical staff after his head injury on Saturday night.

Early reports suggest he will miss two games for United which would be Watford away and Young Boys away in the Champions League.
    Another report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Head injuries specifically concussion aren't really getting the bad press they are in American Football or full contact sports overall I know a few stories are out there of players past and present stating head trauma from heading the ball.

Shaw did get an aweful thump so hopefully proper precautions are taken and he's given a good rest.

I disagree.

He should not play this weekend if the correct tests are performed and he is deemed to require further rest.

If the correct tests are performed and indicates he is suffering no issues and there is no need for him to miss the game at the weekend, then why miss the game at the weekend?

Whether he plays or not should be based on actual medical tests and results, not either mandatory minimums or your opinion that a head injury requires longer by default.

Not going into heavy detail on it as it is not the place but the care related to head injuries in sport, over many years was pathetic. In my opinion it has not improved enough. The mandatory is too short imo.

Two years ago United acted poorly (imo) with Martial when he had a head injury v Watford. Left him on the pitch instead of immediate sub.

Shaw left the field on a stretcher, needed oxygen, he needs time to return to full impact training or games to avoid secondary trauma. Imo such cases need longer respite as you can't scan or test for concussion, it is examination based so the idea of tests clearing him do not add up.

Oh, well if he says it after staying, then it must be true.

No way United could have signed him, clearly.

And LOL, you've even misquoted him to run your agenda. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yet he still hasn't signed a new contract. Clearly he loves the club and will never move.

• Advertisement

Good on Toby, he accepted Spurs wanted him to stay, didn't cause public problems or name drop teams, turned up very well at OT when back in the team, showed a desire to make sure his performance was up to the correct level.

Others could learn from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In fairness he probably only read the headline, I notice he never actually offers an opinion just link dumps. If he actually read the article it shows that he didn't actually say what the headline does. The headline, like himself, are putting the words in Toby's mouth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yet he still hasn't signed a new contract. Clearly he loves the club and will never move.

I think part of the problem is that Spurs have never been stung by a top player walking away for free after saying all season they would sign on an extension.

sol-campbell-tottenham-arsenal_1426bahz19eb9zhjet1r3t1t1.jpg?t=2057851673&quality=90&w=1280

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/08/paul-pogba-what-exactly-is-his-problem

What exactly is Paul Pogba's problem?

Did I do it right?

DM_7 wrote: »
    www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/08/paul-pogba-what-exactly-is-his-problem

What exactly is Paul Pogba's problem?

Did I do it right?

It would help if your link worked and a 404 message wasn't popping up on touch anyways :D

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    It would help if your link worked and a 404 message wasn't popping up on touch anyways :D

So No?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/08/paul-pogba-what-exactly-is-his-problem

What agenda is that??

In fairness he probably only read the headline, I notice he never actually offers an opinion just link dumps. If he actually read the article it shows that he didn't actually say what the headline does. The headline, like himself, are putting the words in Toby's mouth :D

"Everyone was saying everywhere that I absolutely wanted to leave Tottenham," Alderweireld said. That's not true."

What agenda is that??

That there is no way anyone could place any blame on woodward for any aspect of the summer transfer window. No one could have done any better in his position. it was impossible to make the signings United needed.

That agenda.

"Everyone was saying everywhere that I absolutely wanted to leave Tottenham," Alderweireld said. That's not true."
    That doesn't translate to "Never wanted to leave", and anyone not pushing an agenda would recognise that.

But you go ahead. We all see you.

That there is no way anyone could place any blame on woodward for any aspect of the summer transfer window. No one could have done any better in his position. it was impossible to make the signings United needed.

That agenda.

I have no agenda on that. I did say it was hard to sign players at that time. At the end of the day its not fifa or championship manager

Here's a true statement:

"We can do things in the transfer market, that other clubs can only dream of" - Ed Woodward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Here's a true statement:

"We can do things in the transfer market, that other clubs can only dream of" - Ed Woodward

Maybe he was talking about Drogheda United?

Here's a true statement:

Spending over half a billion since fergie retired backs that statement up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Spending over half a billion since fergie retired backs that statement up

Actually, that makes his stupid, hyperbolic statement factually incorrect because clubs like PSG and City have spent much more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

United are considering Atletico Madrid's Andrea Berta for the director of football role. Juventus' Fabio Paratici has been recommended. RB Leipzig's Paul Mitchell is also on the radar (Evening Standard)

Actually, that makes his stupid, hyperbolic statement factually incorrect because clubs like PSG and City have spent much more.

City and PSG are backed by countries. Not a fair comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

City and PSG are backed by countries. Not a fair comparison.

Read his statement again...

Read his statement again...

Yes... "other clubs"

probably every team in world football apart from city and psg

Big Rom scores his 42nd international goal tonight.

Rashford goal england

Lukaku 2nd goal

43 international goals by the age of 25. By the time he retires he could easily have 3 million.

43 international goals by the age of 25. By the time he retires he could easily have 3 million.

He is retiring in 2 years prob wont even get 60 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

He is retiring in 2 years prob wont even get 60 :)

DJ Carey retiring I'd say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement