Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lukaku at his best is just about the best CF on the planet.

the reason he is actually further down that list is because he's inconsistent. and that's no small issue. it's not about opposition. he destroyed Brazil in the World Cup ffs. it's about doing it every single game, or at least 3 out of 4, for a sustained period. that's what Kane and Aguero (for instance) have been brilliant at.

until he's that consistent, there will always be others considered above him.

it's not complicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

SlickRic wrote: »

the reason he is actually further down that list is because he's inconsistent. and that's no small issue. it's not about opposition. he destroyed Brazil in the World Cup ffs. it's about doing it every single game, or at least 3 out of 4, for a sustained period. that's what Kane and Aguero (for instance) have been brilliant at.

until he's that consistent, there will always be others considered above him.

it's not complicated.

Tbh I think you could put any striker in the world in our team right now, and they'd look "inconsistent".

The issue for us is you need a striker with near 100% conversion rates, cause for years, our strikers are feeding on scraps. A chance or two a game. We have poor wing options (converted strikers on the left, a wasteland on the right) and basically one player capable of creating magic in midfield. He relies on Pogba to do most of the chance creation for him, and if Pogba has an off-day, then chances become non-existent.

Sanchez has helped a bit with that, especially this season so far. But then Pogba has taken a step back, unfortunately balancing that out. Its why there was such a desire to see a RW option brought in too. Our ability to create chances of Lukaku is dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

SlickRic wrote: »

Not a hope in hell, that is just a ridiculous claim to make to be fair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bangkok wrote: »
    He has his money made already. Doubt he gives a toss at this stage

That makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

DM_7 wrote: »
    That makes no sense.

He will still make plenty of money from all his clients. Prob made 50m plus in deals and if they players have to pay the agents he will still get a nice monthly sum into his bank account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He might not be the best but he ain't a million miles off it either.

Some of his link up play in world cup was terrific to watch

I would put him in tier 2 of strikers, not world class but a very good striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I would put him in tier 2 of strikers, not world class but a very good striker
    I think uv hit the nail on the head, he is a very very good striker but he isn't top bracket which is no shame, 
    To be fair only Aguero and Kane are better in the Prem , 
    Firmino would need another season socring as many as he did last seaosn to be considered on terms with Lakaku, although very different players,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Apologies if posted already. Interesting video. I wouldn't argue with any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's just a days wages for Sanchez ;)

Its one years tax fraud to Jose,pep,Messi or Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its one years tax fraud to Jose,pep,Messi or Ronaldo

Pardon my ignorance when was pep charged with tax fraud?
    Messi and Ronaldo were more than double the 800k a year. There was also the problem Spanish authorities had with proving the total liabilities as so much was shelved offshore and laundered through "charities". To be honest, if they weren't Messi or Ronaldo they'd have been destroyed in the media.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo were more than double the 800k a year. There was also the problem Spanish authorities had with proving the total liabilities as so much was shelved offshore and laundered through "charities". To be honest, if they weren't Messi or Ronaldo they'd have been destroyed in the media.

He probably wasn't mate but I couldn't allow him off Scott free for the sake of a bit if humour I throw him in there too.

Pep was banned from football for taking drugs in italy... deserves his own list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liam O wrote: »
    Aubameyang is miles better than Lukaku imo. Firmino plays a very different role but plays it brilliantly. Lukaku this season so far has barely done what I thought he was good at which is take his chances when they are presented to him. Absolutely horrid misses in the 2 losses that if Danny Welbeck was doing people would be talking about how he's not a lethal finisher. Something I thought that Lukaku had in those kind of situations but seemingly not as it happened plenty last season too.

That said he seems to have a bit of a head of steam up now so hopefully will do better the coming weeks.

Lukaku has always been like that, and that will probably never change. It’s the reason I said he was a good not great striker. It’s not really an issue for us as he’s probably second to De Gea as the last players in the current crop that would need replacing.

A team with Lukaku leading the line could win a league, but we will need a lot better behind him on the field before that is achievable.

Interesting on Rashford since it came up yesterday:

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1040192755866198017?s=19

I know a big part of the argument is access to playing up front. I don't see him doing that anyway for another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Tbh I think you could put any striker in the world in our team right now, and they'd look "inconsistent".

The issue for us is you need a striker with near 100% conversion rates, cause for years, our strikers are feeding on scraps. A chance or two a game. We have poor wing options (converted strikers on the left, a wasteland on the right) and basically one player capable of creating magic in midfield. He relies on Pogba to do most of the chance creation for him, and if Pogba has an off-day, then chances become non-existent.

Sanchez has helped a bit with that, especially this season so far. But then Pogba has taken a step back, unfortunately balancing that out. Its why there was such a desire to see a RW option brought in too. Our ability to create chances of Lukaku is dire.

I would much prefer to use Sanchez/Lingard at RW and use Martial/Rashford at LW. If we are looking for additional midfield creativity in certain games - particularly against weaker opposition at Old Trafford, play Mata at #10.

I find it frustrating that Martial was having a good run of form at LW until Sanchez joined and his form was then poor. Sanchez should have been deployed mainly on the right (which is a problem area anyway). Why try to address LW when things were actually starting to go well there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's difficult to envision a club Rashford could play for in the EPL that he'd be a regular starter for and would also be regularly playing at a level that would improve him. If match time is as important as the pundits make out then he'd be a beast in the Championship and likely start every game. Game time is important, but only if it's at the right level and right now I don't see any alternative options for him in the EPL. It's not like he isn't playing at all for United. Best stay put imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

It's difficult to envision a club Rashford could play for in the EPL that he'd be a regular starter for and would also be regularly playing at a level that would improve him. If match time is as important as the pundits make out then he'd be a beast in the Championship and likely start every game. Game time is important, but only if it's at the right level and right now I don't see any alternative options for him in the EPL. It's not like he isn't playing at all for United. Best stay put imo.

Everton

• Advertisement

If he wouldn't be a starter then the media's push for him to leave is yet another case of the English over hyping a player, while I'm quite impressed with him as a youngster I do think his decision making at the crucial moments in games lets him down badly, he somehow nearly always seems to make the wrong choice.

Then his confidence seems to get rocked and you often seem him getting frustrated out on the pitch.

I'm the opposite to you I think if he was a regular started even at a lower level it would/should improve his confidence and decision making given he wouldn't likely be dropped for poorer performances. Also if he did beast mode the championship it'd prove to himself he belongs in the Premier League and he could come back and put in a real claim to be a starter at United, something he hasn't been able to do so far at least.

All that being said it isn't in the clubs best interest to let him go given the Martial situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rashford just has not improved his decision making or finishing.

He is Still young and will but not by playing a sub role as a winger at United.

He will only do so by playing regularly up front.

I just don't see many teams in the league where he would the first choice striker.

Some of the lower teams I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lower teams would put even more expectations in a way re: shot conversion. Some of the chances hes fluffed for us would see him loose a starting berth for a lower side.

Rashford should play left, lukaku centre, sanchez right. Just cant see why jose doesnt do it.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Rashford just has not improved his decision making or finishing.

He is Still young and will but not by playing a sub role as a winger at United.

He will only do so by playing regularly up front.

I just don't see many teams in the league where he would the first choice striker.

Some of the lower teams I guess.

Every season he has played his goal tally has increased each season so id say his decision making and finishing have both improved

While I think Rashford is guilty if been over hyped I think people are overly harsh on him too. He is a 20 year old forward playing majority of his games from the bench and wide positions and he has a scoring rate if 1 in 4.

I guarantee you 15 or the premierleague clubs would love Marcus Rashford in their team.

Is he good enough to be a regular at Unitedat the moment? Probably not But he is doing pretty ok the problem is he started so young and is around so long now people forget his age. He probably would benefit from a loan spell but he is also a pretty important member of the United match day squad so I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because there aren't many. And he wouldn't be going "beast mode" in the championship either. Like many of our players he is rated rather higher than he should be.

Rashford is a great prospect but he is far from ready to be a starter for a top club, and he is not complete enough to be reliable for a smaller club.

17 goals in 81 league games. 5 goals in 27 England games. 1 goal in 5, that's about right, thats his level and thats perfectly good for a 20 year old in development, we should be happy with that instead of having to listen to idiots hype him up as the next English hyperstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rashford should play left, lukaku centre, sanchez right. Just cant see why jose doesnt do it.

He obviously afraid Rashford would get in Pogbas way when Pogbas dominating that part of the pitch

Because there aren't many. And he wouldn't be going "beast mode" in the championship either. Like many of our players he is rated rather higher than he should be.

Rashford is a great prospect but he is far from ready to be a starter for a top club, and he is not complete enough to be reliable for a smaller club.

17 goals in 81 league games. 5 goals in 27 England games. 1 goal in 5, that's about right, thats his level and thats perfectly good for a 20 year old in development, we should be happy with that instead of having to listen to idiots hype him up as the next English hyperstar.

That is a brilliant record for a player of his age playing as a winger.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    He obviously afraid Rashford would get in Pogbas way when Pogbas dominating that part of the pitch

Yea obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

But Rashford doesn’t play for France ....:confused:

Sanchez needs a big game this weekend. Had 2 weeks off from chile; needs to start producing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Drumpot wrote: »
    But Rashford doesn’t play for France ....:confused:

Ya but that’s where he plays for United too I thought?

Sanchez needs a big game this weekend. Had 2 weeks off from chile; needs to start producing

I'd love to get him and Dré working on a project together.

Shanchez had the most key passes per game(KPG) in the squad last year even though he under performed and his assist for Lukaku in the last game was top drawer, Already 2nd in KPG behind this season behind the minghty creator Valencia :eek: one would imagine he will drop back a little as the season goes on if not he will be like a new signing :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think he was on about the dominating part

I think he was on about the dominating part

Yeh sorry Mac I was having at pop at Pogba. The more I think about what united are getting from him and what France are getting the more I just want him shipped out. Tactics, position , manager or player quality at united does not explain his underperforming for united. His application and attitude for united is apalling.... He could put in a great performance against Watford and give us hope and then down tools for next game. He’s a liability and needs to go.

Yeh sorry Mac I was having at pop at Pogba. The more I think about what united are getting from him and what France are getting the more I just want him shipped out. Tactics, position , manager or player quality at united does not explain his underperforming for united. His application and attitude for united is apalling.... He could put in a great performance against Watford and give us hope and then down tools for next game. He’s a liability and needs to go.

Pogba was nominated for fifa pro world 11 this year but dont let that stand in your way of "having a pop at pogba" agenda

Nominated for our player of the month for august as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

jayo26 wrote: »
    While I think Rashford is guilty if been over hyped I think people are overly harsh on him too. He is a 20 year old forward playing majority of his games from the bench and wide positions and he has a scoring rate if 1 in 4.

Exactly - he is a victim of his own success. His introduction was so explosive, people got disappointed when it didnt continue. In any other scenario, if you said a 20 year old striker or wide forward was getting the game time and goals he has gotten at a club like United, it would be a huge achievement.

• Advertisement

Pogba was nominated for fifa pro world 11 this year but dont let that stand in your way of "having a pop at pogba" agenda

For what exactly? For his united performances or France?

Take his French performances out of the equation and what do you have? An inconsistent player who by their own words couldn’t even get mentally right for at least one of United’s 4 league games this season. That’s a supposed World clsss professional player , who is the captain of his team and who can’t get himself mentally right for a game.

When he’s asked about his comitrment to united he couldn’t be more unclear and ambiguous. His erratic form compliments this indifference.

The apologist defence you give for Pogba relies mostly on his French and Europa cup performances. It’s ridiculous. No other player gets such a defence for being so horribly inconsistent and bringing the wrong attention to the club and more presssure on the manager/team. He’s been a terrible acquisition for the club and the money wasted on him and tied up in him could be used to get players that want to play for the club adding much more to the first team..

Whoop de do

https://twitter.com/FIFAcom/status/942326000611770369?s=19

That is a bit mental like how is he in the running for that he wasn't even in the running for player of the year at the club, he wasn't even our best midfielder last year just goes to show them awards are pointless

For what exactly? For his united performances or France?

Take his French performances out of the equation and what do you have? An inconsistent player who by their own words couldn’t even get mentally right for at least one of United’s 4 league games this season. That’s a supposed World clsss professional player , who is the captain of his team and who can’t get himself mentally right for a game.

When he’s asked about his comitrment to united he couldn’t be more unclear and ambiguous. His erratic form compliments this indifference.

The apologist defence you give for Pogba relies mostly on his French and Europa cup performances. It’s ridiculous. No other player gets such a defence for being so horribly inconsistent and bringing the wrong attention to the club and more presssure on the manager/team. He’s been a terrible acquisition for the club and the money wasted on him and tied up in him could be used to get players that want to play for the club adding much more to the first team..

For both. You make it out that he is bebe like for united when he is actually one of our better players and thats not saying a lot.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/918585/Premier-League-best-midfielders-Hazard-De-Bruyne-Pogba-sportgalleries

That was up until feb last season, he was our best midfielder and ranked 6 in premier league midfielders.

He also had a strong end to last season with united and won player of the month for april

DM_7 wrote: »

Not sure what your point is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Not a single person on this thread is doubting his aptitude. However, ask the majority of united fans about his attitude and application and that's a whole different ball game.

• Advertisement

Rashford is good but people expect to much of him , When he broke onto the scence he was unfairly expected to be as good as Rooney, Fowler , Owen at that age and he was never ever on there level,
    Media and fan's really wanted the next English teenage superstar and pinned it all on Rashford, He is a very good young player for his age but people need to realise he is not on the level as the other 3 which is ok as they where freakish for there ages,
    He is doing just fine for his ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Rashford would be a better player now, if he was played up top more since his breakthrough. he has played a lot, but under Jose it has generally been as a kinda traditional winger - it has effected his progress as a forward, imo.

Jose says Shaw is free to play tomorrow - no protocall or medical issues stopping it. Just down to fitness and if Shaw feels ready.

I totally forgot that Rashford was suspended for tomorrow.

I think Rashford would be a better player now, if he was played up top more since his breakthrough. he has played a lot, but under Jose it has generally been as a kinda traditional winger - it has effected his progress as a forward, imo.

Jose says Shaw is free to play tomorrow - no protocall or medical issues stopping it. Just down to fitness and if Shaw feels ready.

I totally forgot that Rashford was suspended for tomorrow.
    But is he could enough to start every week up front for United, I think the answer is no he is not,
    Again he is a good young player but he is no where near the level's of Rooney, Own , Fowler who where un droppable at 18 /19

For both. You make it out that he is bebe like for united when he is actually one of our better players and thats not saying a lot.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/918585/Premier-League-best-midfielders-Hazard-De-Bruyne-Pogba-sportgalleries

That was up until feb last season, he was our best midfielder and ranked 6 in premier league midfielders.

He also had a strong end to last season with united and won player of the month for april

Seriously ? Did you even read what I said ? Where did I ever question his ability ? Its his application that's the problem. . You cant defend it because he even said it himself . . Hes half arsed it for united when hes bothered. His performances for France if anything, are the most damning examples of how little he really gives to United. .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement